Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2020, 03:38 AM   #1

Default Over charging of 2018 Pleasureway Lexor TS

Hello,

Just recently purchased a used 2018 Pleasureway Lexor TS which is built on 2017 Dodge RAM Promaster 3500 chassis with gas V-6. It has 2x100 AH Lithium Batteries, 95 watt solar panel with GoPower 30AMP PWM solar controller, Progressive Dynamics 45 AMP Lithium Converter, Xantrex Freedom XI 2000 watt inverter.

On the last two times that I have driven for a couple hours, my solar controller display has gone into a rapid blinking state which the manual says indicates that it read a charge of 15.5V or over surge.

I'm thinking neither the solar panel or the converter could be causing that, leaving the alternator or separator that could be causing any possible over charge surge. My thoughts are to disconnect the solar panels and go for a drive and have a friend record the voltage readings of the coach batteries watching for any time over 14.8. Your thoughts on what might be causing the surge and a easier way to test the alternator effects on the coach batteries??

Thanks in advance.
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:59 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I think 14.6 volts should be the upper limit for lithium. Certainly not 15.5 volts.

You need a shunt type battery monitor to get an understanding of what is going on.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:53 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonPerson View Post
Hello,

Just recently purchased a used 2018 Pleasureway Lexor TS which is built on 2017 Dodge RAM Promaster 3500 chassis with gas V-6. It has 2x100 AH Lithium Batteries, 95 watt solar panel with GoPower 30AMP PWM solar controller, Progressive Dynamics 45 AMP Lithium Converter, Xantrex Freedom XI 2000 watt inverter.

On the last two times that I have driven for a couple hours, my solar controller display has gone into a rapid blinking state which the manual says indicates that it read a charge of 15.5V or over surge.

I'm thinking neither the solar panel or the converter could be causing that, leaving the alternator or separator that could be causing any possible over charge surge. My thoughts are to disconnect the solar panels and go for a drive and have a friend record the voltage readings of the coach batteries watching for any time over 14.8. Your thoughts on what might be causing the surge and a easier way to test the alternator effects on the coach batteries??

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
I think 14.6 volts should be the upper limit for lithium. Certainly not 15.5 volts.

You need a shunt type battery monitor to get an understanding of what is going on.

Welcome to the forum Oregon!

My advice is to call Pleasureway first thing Monday morning. As hbn7hj notes, the voltages appears way too high. My Renogy charger cuts off at 14.6 volts. If my charger didn't, then the Renogy battery internal BMS should cut off at any higher voltage to protect the battery. But only Pleasureway can answer for your battery system.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Hi: I have a 2016 PW Lexor TS. Last year changed out the solar charge controller to Blu Sky PWM model. I have had two Go Power controllers. Had problems with the OEM not reading voltage of battery correctly. Replacement with second newer version died in 2 months. Go Power would not replace it since I purchased on ebay. I decided to change to Blu Sky because it has program features more suitable to lithium. Originally did not want to change because would have to enlarge space to fit. Turned out it was not a problem. Was able to enlarge hole with a hand file. I think it was maybe 1/4 inch too small?
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:13 AM   #5

Which Blue Sky controller did you go with that fit in existing space so well??
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:34 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonPerson View Post
Which Blue Sky controller did you go with that fit in existing space so well??
Hi: Went with the Sun Charger 30 which is the PWM model. You can spend another $100 more and get their MPPT model. Either will work fine. The spcace/ hole will need some modification to make fit. I just used a file to enlarge about 1/4 inch. I think it was the upper horizontal border but it has been awhile since the upgrade. You can stay with Go Power. I just did not have good luck with Go Power. I think solar is a bit over rated on Class Bs. The real estate is not enough to enough panels to get sufficient amps.
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 06:03 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Try looking at the voltage and net amps on your Spyder control panel. Do the voltages match your Go Power controller? The Spyder uses a shunt at the batteries and is more accurate. If the Spyder voltage is lower, then it may be a malfunctioning Go Power solar controller. If not, it is probably in the alternator charging system. It's always worth a call or email to Pleasure-Way customer service when troubleshooting something like this.
svIntuition is offline   Reply With Quote