Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2023, 09:39 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default PD4635 converts and charges, but no AC to coach

Three years ago or so I replaced my crappy stock converter/charger with Progressive Dynamics PD4635. I'm in no way an electrician, but it wasn't a difficult job to do correctly, same with other electrical projects such as installing solar panels and a charge controller for them, installing an inverter, etc. so I have a pretty good grasp of most electrical principles.

This converter has been functioning perfectly since, and for that matter is still producing a clean 12V supply and properly charging my batteries, so it's obviously still getting 120V from both shorepower as well as my generator from the AC transfer switch, but no AC to any AC required devices or outlets. The main AC breaker and all of the other ones have not tripped. I do have one gfci equipped outlet and it has not tripped. I do notice a faint hum coming from the box that houses everything (old Parallax/Magnateck enclosure) that I don't remember hearing before.

I just don't get it. Anybody got an idea what could be going on here?
nicaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:54 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicaland View Post
Three years ago or so I replaced my crappy stock converter/charger with Progressive Dynamics PD4635. I'm in no way an electrician, but it wasn't a difficult job to do correctly, same with other electrical projects such as installing solar panels and a charge controller for them, installing an inverter, etc. so I have a pretty good grasp of most electrical principles.

This converter has been functioning perfectly since, and for that matter is still producing a clean 12V supply and properly charging my batteries, so it's obviously still getting 120V from both shorepower as well as my generator from the AC transfer switch, but no AC to any AC required devices or outlets. The main AC breaker and all of the other ones have not tripped. I do have one gfci equipped outlet and it has not tripped. I do notice a faint hum coming from the box that houses everything (old Parallax/Magnateck enclosure) that I don't remember hearing before.

I just don't get it. Anybody got an idea what could be going on here?

It sounds like the main breaker for the AC is tripped and PD is not wired through it, just straight off the mains.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 01:59 PM   #3
Gold Member

Thanks Booster, but no, the main AC breaker has not tripped. When I installed the PD I'm sure I did it by the book; I can't remember but apparently the converter/charger section receives AC before the main AC breaker, because when I flip it off the converter is still getting AC power. I'm contacting Progressive Dynamics today and will report their response.
Old 03-06-2023, 02:08 PM   #4
Platinum Member

flip your AC main breaker to "off".

If the PD still has power, you have a wiring fault.

If you don;t have power- good.

You must now trace your power system to find the fault

check the transfer switch, check each breaker and the panel
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 02:17 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Since this is not a standalone PD system and goes into and older control center box, just check for 110v power at the input to the control center and output of the control center. If you have power in and no power out, you have an issue with the PD.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:25 PM   #6
Gold Member

Thanks guys very much for your input. Turns out that an automatic transfer switch (a GoPower MC-30) that I installed when I mounted an inverter to avoid everything potentially turning to smoke if I inadvertently had the inverter running when on shorepower or genny power is defective. The buzzing I was hearing was coming from it, and lightly tapping on the contacts stopped the buzzing and viola I had AC power in the coach again, but after carefully cleaning it's contacts with a bit of emery cloth it stopped functioning completely, which is just weird, but replacing it with a new one is simpler and cheaper than buying a new PD4635 for sure!
Old 03-06-2023, 08:32 PM   #7
Gold Member

Correction: The tranfer switch I installed is a Powermax PMTS-30, not a GoPower MC-30. Sorry 'bout that.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:45 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicaland View Post
Thanks guys very much for your input. Turns out that an automatic transfer switch (a GoPower MC-30) that I installed when I mounted an inverter to avoid everything potentially turning to smoke if I inadvertently had the inverter running when on shorepower or genny power is defective. The buzzing I was hearing was coming from it, and lightly tapping on the contacts stopped the buzzing and viola I had AC power in the coach again, but after carefully cleaning it's contacts with a bit of emery cloth it stopped functioning completely, which is just weird, but replacing it with a new one is simpler and cheaper than buying a new PD4635 for sure!

Generally, in systems that have a genny, shore power, and the 110v output from an inverter, it would be done with two automatic transfer switches because you have to handle 3 inputs.

The first ATS would switch back and forth between shore power and generator and the second would use the output from the first ATS and the inverter output and switch between them. The output of the second ATS would go to van 110v circuits.

They used to make 3 input ATS switches but I haven't seen one in a long time.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:52 PM   #9
Gold Member

Yes Booster, I do have two ATS as you have described. I bought this one at Amazon, and should have read the reviews a bit more thoroughly as many of these have failed in the exact same way as mine. I ended up with this one because it's dimensions allowed me to place it in the only spot available (and it was pretty cheap too....)