Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2021, 04:22 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Pleasure-Way Discounts Cold T LiFePO4 Storage Problems

I joined the Pleasure-Way FB group to learn about how they deal with storing LiFePO4 batteries in cold Saskatoon. Turns out they just don't worry about it - they only disconnect the batteries so they can't be charged during storage. Everything i have read tells me that one should not store LiFePO4 batteries below -4F, and i know of many who have installed battery heaters to avoid low T storage damage. Maybe the low T storage issue is overblown, maybe there is some damage from such storage but it is too little to worry about. In any case, P-W seems to be running an experiment with their customers to see how much damage is caused by low T storage.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:08 PM   #2
Gold Member

Interesting. Looks like PW may be doing a little "do as I say and not as I do." The manual for the 2020 Tofino on their site says:

STORAGE

When placing your vehicle into storage always ensure your
coach batteries are fully charged and the 12 volt battery
disconnect switch is in the OFF position. To extend the life of
your lithium batteries it is recommend that the batteries be
fully charged and kept above freezing temperatures when in
storage. This may involve removing the lithium batteries from
the coach and storing them in temperatures above freezing
for winter storage.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:21 PM   #3

When I purchased my new 2018 Lexor TS, I devoured all of my manuals to make sure that I was looking after my RV and all of its components properly. My manual also recommends removing them below 0 degrees Celsius to store indoors (with the same wording as the previous post). I called Pleasure-Way when I read this. They told me that it was not necessary and that they keep the batteries in their vehicles in the winter while at the factory and stored outside. In fact, the person I spoke to kind of laughed at the thought of doing so as it would be a lot of effort... I inquired why the manual would mention that if it wasn’t necessary and he had no response. I mentioned this on this forum previously when someone inquired about it and I was encouraged by another member not to put info like that on this site as it was incorrect...
TMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:36 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac View Post
When I purchased my new 2018 Lexor TS, I devoured all of my manuals to make sure that I was looking after my RV and all of its components properly. My manual also recommends removing them below 0 degrees Celsius to store indoors (with the same wording as the previous post). I called Pleasure-Way when I read this. They told me that it was not necessary and that they keep the batteries in their vehicles in the winter while at the factory and stored outside. In fact, the person I spoke to kind of laughed at the thought of doing so as it would be a lot of effort... I inquired why the manual would mention that if it wasn’t necessary and he had no response. I mentioned this on this forum previously when someone inquired about it and I was encouraged by another member not to put info like that on this site as it was incorrect...

I don't think it it wrong to put it on the site as long as it is explained that the information is from Pleasure-way and not just stated as fact. Presentation counts

That said, IMO, Pleasure-way has never really been up to speed on lithium stuff. When they first released the lithium in the Chevies a number of years ago, we spoke to the sales guys and the factory rep. None knew anything about them, it appears, because they said they are just like other batteries for use and charging, no special chargers or profiles, no temp things, no storage things, just use. Kind of like Battleborn and others said in the beginning with their drop in. They have been very slow to adapt with changes, so I would take any of their recommendations with a dose of skepticism for sure. That zero degree warning is in the manual because that is what the manufacturers of lithium batteries say is necessary, and I would nearly guarantee if batteries were damaged and failed early because of a cold storage, the first thing they would say is to look at the manual which told you not to. It means very little what any given person tells you if it is not in writing.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote