Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2020, 01:16 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Plug in station

My wife and I are thinking about our own 30 amp plug in station consisting of solar panels, large inverter, lithium batteries and using our Predator 3500 generator as a back up if needed. With the corona virus and related social unrest my daughter wants us to move to her property. Our thoughts are to put in our own plug in station to power our 2013 Ranger RT and stay off the grid should we need to bug out. Has anyone on here done this? Any advice would be appreciated.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:24 AM   #2
Silver Member

It would probably make more since to install and power the house and then power your RV off the house. this way the house gets the benefit when you are gone and it will provide a load and usage of any excess power when you are not connected otherwise you will likely have to come up with a way to dump excess power produced by the panels when you are not plugged in.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:23 PM   #3
Bronze Member

That does make sense but she has not built a home on her property yet. We would be boondocking there. Our thought was to put in a plug in station like at a rv Park.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
That does make sense but she has not built a home on her property yet. We would be boondocking there. Our thought was to put in a plug in station like at a rv Park.
A bit off topic, but you had best check the laws, zoning ordinances and building codes that apply to this property. There are precious few remaining areas in the US where such a use of land is still legal. I know that this doesn't sound right, but if you look into it, you may be surprised.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:56 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
A bit off topic, but you had best check the laws, zoning ordinances and building codes that apply to this property. There are precious few remaining areas in the US where such a use of land is still legal. I know that this doesn't sound right, but if you look into it, you may be surprised.
Yep - Communities are not required to post signs stating "Zoning Laws Enforced" at the entrance to their community. They most likely have Code Enforcement Officers and Building Inspectors and require building permits. And they can enforce Zoning Laws without posting that they do. We have to conform to those laws concerning land use, like it or not!!!
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Yes zoning laws could be a problem but since it’s a fairly large acre track and zoned agricultural I believe I will have no problems ��
Old 10-13-2020, 04:08 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
Yes zoning laws could be a problem but since it’s a fairly large acre track and zoned agricultural I believe I will have no problems ��
I hope you are right -- I am personally sympathetic. But, I still suggest that you check. As I say, you may be surprised (as I have been). Note also, that this issue isn't limited to zoning ordinances. Check with your county, for starters.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:33 AM   #8
Bronze Member

Avanti I did take your advice and checked out land use restrictions in our county, all 158 pages of what I can do and what I can’t do. Wny-pat you are right about following the rules and regulations and so far I am good to go. I am lucky to live in a state that respects the rights and lifestyle of it’s residents. We can even catch and store rain water!
Old 10-18-2020, 05:33 PM   #9
Platinum Member

How far is the nearest power pole? Overhead or underground wiring to be considered.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:19 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Power is about 1/2 mile away, that makes it very expensive.