Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2016, 01:11 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Plugged in but no charge to batteries

I'm the new owner of a 2008 Adventurous rs on Sprinter Chassis that's been plugged in for the last 2 days, but doesn't show any increased charge to the batteries. My LED's on my inverter show the batteries at 'fair' (<60%).
Does anyone have any starting point for me?
Craig.Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:19 AM   #2
Platinum Member

most RV's will have a disconnect switch for the coach batteries- do you?

mine kinda looks like the one below- on my PW in is under the pass sid esofa and reachable by lifting sofa, opening a cabinet under the sofa, or through the back door:

are you sure you are getting ac power to the van?...on mine an easy indicator is if the microwave clock is on- I sometimes stick a nightlight in the outlet to indicate ac power

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:46 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Thanks for the fast reply Mike.
I just referred ,again, to my manual...
It says clearly that the Monitor Panel cuts off all power to the coach. It also states that prior to plugging in shore/generator power, you must turn the power switch 'on'. The only charging that occurs otherwise is from the chassis engine when running.
It'll probably take a few dumb questions before I get this all figured out!
Old 12-31-2016, 01:46 AM   #4
Platinum Member

You have to turn the DC power on. I presume it is a Roadtrek. All recent Roadtreks have a latching relay operated by a rocker switch. Once that is done the circuit breaker for the converter/inverter has to be on. I don't have one but I believe the converter/inverter has an on/off switch, too.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:46 AM   #5
Bronze Member

Default inverter problems, I think

My inverter seems to charge batteries fine through the engine's alternator, but charging while plugged into regular AC or off the generator seems to be a fail... Any one know where to start?
Old 01-07-2017, 03:17 AM   #6
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig.Evans View Post
My inverter seems to charge batteries fine through the engine's alternator, but charging while plugged into regular AC or off the generator seems to be a fail... Any one know where to start?
duplicating your post will not make people happy
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:59 AM   #7
Platinum Member

At this point if you do not have a manual specific to your van, check in with a RT specific group and find a member with same equipment as you have- see if they can walk you though.

I understand there are some facebook groups for friend and fans of roadtreks

there is also

Home - Road Trek International

I prowl their classifieds

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:06 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig.Evans View Post
thats because your inverter/charger is NOT charging your batteries from the alternator. The alternator is already 12 volt DC amps. it charges the batteries directly.

your inverter/charger converts 120 volt(plug in) to 12 volt and charges the battery that way. 2 different things

Did you press the reset button on your inverter/charger? whatever the issue it is your inverter/charger
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:25 AM   #9
Bronze Member

Found my answer-- the battery connections were loose. When they were discharged enough, the batteries couldn't catch up before they froze. $400 later and tightened connections on new batteries has everything working much better!

Tags
batteries, charging