Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2020, 07:13 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Porch light cover removal

Anyone knows how you're suppose to remove the lens cover off this porch light so as to replace the bulb? 2015 Winnebago Era; TIA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1593802047755595452451035095108.jpg (229.9 KB, 40 views)
Abn1SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:55 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I don't have that model, but many porch light covers are friction-fit. Squeeze gently top and bottom and see if a pair of tabs come out of their slots...?
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:15 AM   #3
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I don't have that model, but many porch light covers are friction-fit. Squeeze gently top and bottom and see if a pair of tabs come out of their slots...?
Thanks for the suggestion; will try that tomorrow and see if that will work.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:38 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Are you sure there's a bulb to replace?

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:47 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I have a 2017 Winne Trend and to replace my LED porch light, I had to pop the cover off to get to the mounting screws under the cover.

MLogan
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:34 AM   #6
Silver Member

Well according to my RV repair shop, they called Winnebago to get a replacement bulb for me to replace since I didn't want to keep messing with it and break it and Winnebago told them that it's a complete porch light assembly for the amount of $90 plus shipping. Needless to say I will be without a porch light for that price and especially not being able to just replace the LED bulb. RV repair shop said that they would see if they can replace with a different porch light where a bulb can be replaced...we will see.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:06 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abn1SG View Post
Well according to my RV repair shop, they called Winnebago to get a replacement bulb for me to replace since I didn't want to keep messing with it and break it and Winnebago told them that it's a complete porch light assembly for the amount of $90 plus shipping. Needless to say I will be without a porch light for that price and especially not being able to just replace the LED bulb. RV repair shop said that they would see if they can replace with a different porch light where a bulb can be replaced...we will see.
I figured as much. More and more, even for the home, light fixtures don't have bulbs and you chuck them when they fail. But they don't often fail. Have you checked with a voltmeter to make sure you're getting juice at the fixture when you turn on the switch?

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:27 PM   #8
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
I figured as much. More and more, even for the home, light fixtures don't have bulbs and you chuck them when they fail. But they don't often fail. Have you checked with a voltmeter to make sure you're getting juice at the fixture when you turn on the switch?
The porch light works but only 3 of the 8 round bulbs light up.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:30 PM   #9
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
The porch light works but only 3 of the 8 round bulbs light up.
I had the last edition of the Nissan 300 zx turbo with a similar top/center brake light. The price was ............... when part of it stopped working..... some of the led's.

But in an rv, it seems kinda simple? Someone drills a hole in the side for a light. Then sticks on whatever light they like. Don't like the light, pull off the old one and stick on a new and improved one.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:55 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I had the same problem with the porch light on my Trend. Some of the LEDs burned out and I replaced it with the same light, received from fellow Trend owner when he replaced his porch light with a different light with sensor.

MLogan
2017 Trend
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:32 PM   #11
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloganusda View Post
I had the same problem with the porch light on my Trend. Some of the LEDs burned out and I replaced it with the same light, received from fellow Trend owner when he replaced his porch light with a different light with sensor.

MLogan
2017 Trend
Smyrna, TN
How did you remove your porch light then?
Old 08-05-2020, 02:52 PM   #12
Bea

Default Porch light replacement

My porch light went down to only one bulb working, so I ordered a new one for $60 + $11 S&H. It has a foam gasket on the back where it would fit against the van body that has adhesive on it that sticks all around the edge of the cover in addition to hiding the location of the tabs that hold the cover on. Having "dissected" the new light to figure out how to remove the old one, I'm hoping for eventual good results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4287.jpg (191.8 KB, 18 views)
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:05 PM   #13
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
My porch light went down to only one bulb working, so I ordered a new one for $60 + $11 S&H. It has a foam gasket on the back where it would fit against the van body that has adhesive on it that sticks all around the edge of the cover in addition to hiding the location of the tabs that hold the cover on. Having "dissected" the new light to figure out how to remove the old one, I'm hoping for eventual good results.
Thanks for the info and the photo. Can you provide me with the info on where you ordered the light so I can order one? Thanks.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:55 PM   #14
Bea

Quote:
Thanks for the info and the photo. Can you provide me with the info on where you ordered the light so I can order one? Thanks.
My local RV dealer ordered it from Winnebago. It is the complete replacement light.
It is Winnebago part number 184120-01-01A. You can see the part here: LUCIDITY but only sold in lots of 50! You might be able to order it directly from Winnebago Industries.
Once I got the old one out, I was able to disassemble it and see that the LED light bar is removable, however that would not have made the job any easier, imo. There is a sticker on the back of the light bar--photo attached.
My experience with this lamp replacement is that Winnebago has used lots of a caulk-like sealant plugging the screw holes and where the wires enter the van. You need a dental pick or something similar to remove the plugs to get to the screws and to tease out the wires. Once the wires are freed, there is plenty of working room. However, I doubt I'll ever want to do this again as there are probably easier and just as effective solutions to having an outside light. Aside from my time and inconvenience, the charge for the light was $60.00, and $11.59 for freight from Iowa to Minnesota. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4288.jpg (95.2 KB, 9 views)
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:20 PM   #15
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
My local RV dealer ordered it from Winnebago. It is the complete replacement light.
It is Winnebago part number 184120-01-01A. You can see the part here: LUCIDITY but only sold in lots of 50! You might be able to order it directly from Winnebago Industries.
Once I got the old one out, I was able to disassemble it and see that the LED light bar is removable, however that would not have made the job any easier, imo. There is a sticker on the back of the light bar--photo attached.
My experience with this lamp replacement is that Winnebago has used lots of a caulk-like sealant plugging the screw holes and where the wires enter the van. You need a dental pick or something similar to remove the plugs to get to the screws and to tease out the wires. Once the wires are freed, there is plenty of working room. However, I doubt I'll ever want to do this again as there are probably easier and just as effective solutions to having an outside light. Aside from my time and inconvenience, the charge for the light was $60.00, and $11.59 for freight from Iowa to Minnesota. Good luck!
Much obliged for the info. Will probably decide what to do when the last bulb burns out. You've been very helpful and appreciate you taking the time to provide me with all this info and pics.