Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2016, 12:30 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to sewright33 Send a message via MSN to sewright33 Send a message via Yahoo to sewright33
Default Propane smell

I had the fridge on proppane last weekend and only the freezer was working not the fridge part.
Yesterday I turned off the propane from the inside and set it up to hydro
Fridge freezer n storage is working but ...
The propane has never really turned off as even in off position the stove would still light n yes I did let the burners go for a long time when purchasing unit last fall
I have a really awful propane smell in the roadtrek right now and have no idea as to what to do. Don't think I even would want to drive it to a propane dealer as the smell is bad n no way to turn it completely turn it completely off
I don't think I want to chance the drive to a propane dealership
I really could use some help
Ann
sewright33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:53 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Smell Propane

Turn off the valve at the tank.
DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:12 AM   #3
Platinum Member

you should have a gas detector regardless.

if after closing the valve at the tank ( the knob is labelled) you still have gas...call the fire department.

if you have gas leaking DO NOT START the van, do not stand outside and have a smoke- do NOT turn on anything esp fans or any electric motor.

if the van is in a garage- MANUALLY open the door after releasing the drive mechanism if you have a lift- should be a red cord to pull

after venting push the van outside

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:46 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to sewright33 Send a message via MSN to sewright33 Send a message via Yahoo to sewright33

Have been unable to turn it off even with the valve outside turned off the burners still light but have had no smell before thanks ann
Old 04-22-2016, 04:08 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I remember this from some months ago- I think you are in over your head and need to get a professional to assess and service your system.

you are in danger if you don;t correct this.

rv fridge on propane- lights vapors at gas station

Mike
Old 04-23-2016, 12:51 AM   #6
Platinum Member

This was posted yesterday, so I hope you're still with us.

If you have not done so yet, call the fire department. Propane is no joke. The fumes can kill you from asphyxiation, the fumes can ignite and cause a fire or if the air/fuel mixture is just right and you get one tiny spark even from static cling, you get a big boom that can be heard a mile away.

After the tank is confirmed empty or sealed, go to a dealer for a full inspection of tank, lines, fittings etc. Up here we have something called a Propane Safety. The dealer has a government issued list that is complete overkill that they check out, this is what you want done.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
Platinum Member

OK this is what I found out. I took the soapy water on all conneations n took stove apart, etc I decided to shut off hydro on fridge n today no smell.
Last weekend only freezer was working on propane but both compartments work on hydro but propane odor. Yes I have to have it looked at but at least I figured some of it out. Congrats you old lady - if I had more money I would have purchased a newer n more road worthy vehicle n Maybe purchased from someone who would have been honest with me from the start
Thanks all
Ann
Old 04-24-2016, 03:16 PM   #8
Platinum Member

The dealers want to charge a big dollar for inspection here n then you have them do the work - I wou,d think the inspection for safety alone should be no cost or minimal cost.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:03 PM   #9
Platinum Member

well- they are a business

your safety is worth something and the suggestion is to get it professionally serviced- you are potentially in danger and in over your head.

you efforts may be just spinning your wheels.

gas detector?

most fridges ( rv and home) have just one cooling system, if the freezer is working, the fridge should be cold too

mike
Old 04-24-2016, 08:00 PM   #10
Platinum Member

It might be big dollars for the inspection, but your life is worth it.

Your alternative is to get them to disable the propane system.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:59 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Maybe Ann is smelling Ammonia rather than Propane. That can also be bad.
DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:41 AM   #12
Platinum Member

What does that mean "fridge works on hydro"?

Fridges work on propane, 12 volt, or AC.

The refrigerator box does not cool till the freezer cools so that part is normal.
Harry
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:36 AM   #13

Hydro is an eastern mostly Canadian reference to AC power, from old days when most of the AC power generation was from hydro electric (ie water turbines) Utilities often used the word "hydro" in their name, such as Hydro Quebec, Ontario Hydro etc. When Ann says hydro, she means it is running on AC power.
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote