Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2021, 05:14 PM   #1

Default Propane to all Electric

I have a 2002 Roadtrek Versatile on the Chevy 3500 Chassis
I took out everything propane including the Absorption Fridge. I am going all electric. A friend that does boat/RV electrical was going to do the work but a sudden illness sidelined him.
I have
4 X100ah Lithium Batterie
3000W inverter
40amp DC-DC Charger
isolator

A big job for me unless I can find someone qualified to do it in the Houston Area,
2022Retire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:30 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022Retire View Post
I took out everything propane including the Absorption Fridge. I am going all electric. A friend that does boat/RV electrical was going to do the work but a sudden illness sidelined him.
I have
3000W inverter
40amp DC-DC Charger
isolator

A big job for me unless I can find someone qualified to do it in the Houston Area,

What are you going to do for cooking, heat and hot water?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:47 PM   #3

Small Portable convection cooktop
Diesel heater
Small on demand electric water heater
I determined what will be on at any one time the 110V fridge 24/7, the A/C as needed
Old 10-14-2021, 09:53 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Small Portable convection cooktop
Diesel heater
Small on demand electric water heater
I determined what will be on at any one time the 110V fridge 24/7, the A/C as needed

400ah of battery is not going to run all that stuff if you use them much on batteries, I fear, especially the A/C.

Also remember how, and long it will take, to recover 400ah if very low and how your use patterns fit into that use vs charging.

You going to carry a can of diesel to run the furnace or do you have a diesel in the Roadtrek?
Old 10-14-2021, 10:04 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have
3000W inverter
40amp DC-DC Charger
isolator

Good luck, why this change from LPG to a more complex system? I can see got reason for a compressor fridge but heating? How are you planning to recharge your batteries.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:37 PM   #6

DC-DC Charger
Old 10-15-2021, 07:46 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
DC-DC Charger

From where?
Old 10-15-2021, 08:04 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
From where?
Cryptic answers and no answers let me to believe that OP knows the subject well and doesn’t help.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:07 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Cryptic answers and no answers let me to believe that OP knows the subject well and doesn’t help.

I was just thinking the exact same thing. There really is no reason that I know of not to just answer what is asked. How are we supposed to understand what they are planning if we don't know anything but tidbits.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:43 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Just my two cents, I’ll never understand why people do this. Loved full time in my Chevy Lexor TS for over a year and never found the need for anything except what came with the RV. Propane is cheap and last a long time. Slapped a 100watt for my AGM battery and always had and have plenty of power. It’s now running the 110 volt hog TV for my granddaughter and still in the good state. Love the hot water, turn it on in the morning for 10-15 minutes and I’m good for the day. Gas fridge runs great. Coffee stove percolating is wonderful. Furnace works perfect. I guess enough said and again, JMO
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:26 PM   #11

Default 2022 Retire

I want to be an encouragement. My wife and I have lived 14 years in an rv with electric. You have a winning combination. I have a household 22cf frig. I made a dedicated circuit and inverter, I found the lowest amperage during times when the frig is off but the inverter is just waiting to be called upon. Some inverters take a lot of amperage just to wait. My 22cf whirlpool frig has never been plugged into shore power. I didn’t have a B to B charger because I was in a fifth wheel, but for you that would be a must. Also get a combination inverter/charger so you can run 120v appliance off shore power when available. Then finally depending on your roof real estate get twice the watts of solar for the AHs of batteries. I had 500 AHs of batteries and 900wats of solar. Costs of Lithium ion batteries have dropped in half in the last couple of years and so have solor panels. I’m starting a van build to downsize and I’m doing exactly what you are thinking. Full electric.
Ps: there are some good 12v frigs out there and truck frig is one of them. Be encouraged, you can do it.
kfrimr@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:29 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrimr@yahoo.com View Post
Ps: there are some good 12v frigs out there and truck frig is one of them.
I would use a 12VDC or 120VAC/12VDC fridge/freezer rather than a 120V residential. The extra draw of the inverter, even on standby, is just parasitic and provides no benefit when no other AC loads are required. No big deal when plugged into shore power, as any compressor fridge will draw relatively little power, but efficiency is obviously important when boondocking.

I'm not recommending any particular brand or unit, but the Norcold DV-0061 in my van runs on 12V unless 120V is present, at which point it switches over. If I disable the inverter, it runs directly from the battery and draws less current. If plugged into shore power, it uses that instead of DC power, which obviously is desirable. It draws 0.4A on AC according to the specs.

There's also a DC-only version of that same model, and there are other AC/DC units in their lineup. I believe there are other brands of DC fridge/freezers that use less current on DC, but my experience is limited to the one in my van, other than sailboat DC cold plate systems.

Tags
dc-dc charging, roadtrek 200 versatile