Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2021, 12:40 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Question about modern ACR's

With an old-school solenoid battery separator, the engine battery will not receive a charge if the ignition is off and the onboard (shore power) charger is working. This is because the 2 batteries are physically disconnected by the solenoid and only the house battery receives a charge. But is this the case with modern ACR's? With a modern ACR, I think both batteries will receive a charge when the onboard (shore power) charger is working. Is this correct? - Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-10-12_172833.jpg (74.9 KB, 22 views)
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:56 AM   #2
Platinum Member

They can be one way like an isolator or two way automatic like most are now so both batteries charge if either side is on charge voltage. You can also get full manual control from a switch that is off/on/or auto for the connection.

Check out the Blue Sea site for details, they make very good stuff.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:19 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I installed a Blue Sea model number 7610 ACR that also has starter interrupt that disconnects the two sets of batteries when the starter kicks in to avoid bid draws through the relay.

https://amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-...94&sr=8-1&th=1
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:51 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
They can be one way like an isolator or two way automatic like most are now so both batteries charge if either side is on charge voltage. You can also get full manual control from a switch that is off/on/or auto for the connection.

Check out the Blue Sea site for details, they make very good stuff.
Booster... Putting a 7610 in our 2003C190V Roadtrek.. I seem to recall a post you were in that suggested putting it in parallel with existing isolator.
I lke that idea ... do any wires from the isolator need relocated and is there a Ground in the original that can be to jumpered to (or repurposed as) the Gnd needed by the 7610 ? And is the start isolation highly advised, or just a nicety?
TIA
Old 10-17-2021, 11:00 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Toad View Post
Booster... Putting a 7610 in our 2003C190V Roadtrek.. I seem to recall a post you were in that suggested putting it in parallel with existing isolator.
I lke that idea ... do any wires from the isolator need relocated and is there a Ground in the original that can be to jumpered to (or repurposed as) the Gnd needed by the 7610 ? And is the start isolation highly advised, or just a nicety?
TIA

I don't think that was me for parallel with an isolator but there have been lots of posts. I have used 7610s in a special way with a Blue Sea charger to control outputs, but never as a primary connection to the engine as they are too small for our charging system. We use the manual remote on/off 300 amps Blue Sea.

Ignition interrupt is probably a marine thing as I don't ever recall it needed in RVs. I used as a relay switch and it also works for that, though.

I think the the merit of parallel was that those that wanted to do it could get full charge voltage through the ACR and then shut it off and get the .7v drop through the isolator for float during driving.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:46 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I don't think that was me for parallel with an isolator but there have been lots of posts. I have used 7610s in a special way with a Blue Sea charger to control outputs, but never as a primary connection to the engine as they are too small for our charging system. We use the manual remote on/off 300 amps Blue Sea.

Ignition interrupt is probably a marine thing as I don't ever recall it needed in RVs. I used as a relay switch and it also works for that, though.

I think the the merit of parallel was that those that wanted to do it could get full charge voltage through the ACR and then shut it off and get the .7v drop through the isolator for float during driving.
Maybe itwas Marco or one of the other knowledgables ..
Tks