Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2022, 02:31 PM   #1

Default Question for those who added solar to your Roadtrek or class b van

Recently finished setting up my solar to my roadtrek, and hooked up my 800w system (80a charge controller, 3000w inverter) to my class b’s existing system using a 30a Automatic Transfer Switch and wiring everything together like this [video](https://youtu.be/jpICwTtAV_I) while also disabling the class b’s old converter. While the inverter and charge controller work perfectly while it’s all wired in, all my AC appliances worked good, minus my air conditioner, it turns on for 1 sec and then turns off immediately. And none of my DC works. I’ve triple checked to make sure i wired everything correctly and not sure what i did wrong. My goal is to have everything connected to my class b vans older AC DC panel to be solely powered by my solar system, using my new ATS. (without rewiring everything)
What did i do wrong?

PS: yes my circuit breaker is secure
jjosephiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 03:31 PM   #2
Platinum Member

[QUOTE= My goal is to have everything connected to my class b vans older AC DC panel to be solely powered by my solar system, using my new ATS. (without rewiring everything)
[/QUOTE]

No batteries in the system?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 04:27 PM   #3
Bronze Member

IMO You’ll need a MUCH bigger pile of batteries to run AC than I see in the picture, and if you’re not using a soft start you’ll need even more to start it. Can’t be sure from the photos but the wiring looks small for that kind of load. Did you do the math?

The AC in my Roadtrek pulls over 33 amps when it starts which let’s say for example is 3960W, I know the low cost inverter makers like to say they handle loads over their rating but in reality few can output at their full rating for long. Sorry to say but a lot of them just out right lie.

Do your batteries (lithium I assume) have a amp output limit? Many do because of their internal wiring.

Some dude on YouTube might not be your best source for electrical design. Will does some iffy stuff. Good luck getting it sorted out.
RTRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 04:40 AM   #4
Bronze Member

Looks good, is you coach relay turned on?
Hammernine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 10:38 PM   #5

@jjosephiina did you ever figure out what was wrong? I want to do something similar in my 1997 Roadtrek 190
cedar_swamps is offline   Reply With Quote