Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2021, 07:35 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Question re my two new 6 volt AGM batteries

Two days ago we had our 190/Ranger's nine year old 6 volt AGMs replaced with new ones . The RT is now parked in the driveway plugged into our house electrical system with the battery switch on. We won't be making our first camping trip with the new batteries until August. In regard to facilitating optimal new battery health/longevity, is it better to leave the RT connected to the house electrical system for the six week interval, or to periodically disconnect and reconnect to house electrical to "work" the new batteries?
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I don't know if this applies in your case, but after my lithium battery & inverter/charger upgrade I also added a battery monitor. When plugged in, my battery monitor shows there is a small current being pulled from the batteries. My understanding is this is due to an internal neutral bonding to pass through 120v current to my coach. (My brains not working well today, so this description is probably neither perfectly clear or correct).

Suffice it to say that you could be experiencing a small drain while plugged in. But, once your batteries deplete to a specified level, this drain should be offset as it should also initiate a charge cycle.

So if you don't have a reason to plug in, I'd just check the voltage once a week or so for phantom drains. Then charge when needed. But I think you'll be ok either way provided your charger is working properly.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:35 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Nine years old, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to update/upgrade your charger/converter to a new modern one that better controls the battery charging for longest battery life. Just a thought...

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote