Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2018, 07:04 PM   #21

Default Quiet diesel generator

No such thing, right? But here's one that's quiet, light, and efficient.
Telair - TIG 3000D Generator
Might be made of unobtainium though.
Nexus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:26 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Look at Telair's website under petrol. An Onan replacement exists! Need 60Hz and 120 volts but it does look like our Onan boat anchors might be on borrowed time.

They gotta meet the OEM price point to get into the market but I bet someone does it within the next few years. Generac said they were working on it.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Look at Telair's website under petrol. An Onan replacement exists! Need 60Hz and 120 volts but it does look like our Onan boat anchors might be on borrowed time.
Aren't there lots of inverter gasoline generator options already in the US market though?
Old 01-05-2018, 08:14 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Aren't there a lot of gasoline inverter generators in the US market?

None with electric start that will fit where the Onan 2.8 fits. The Honda 3.0 has electric start but is too tall. Don't know of any others with electric start. The Telair's petrol is the first I've seen. I didn't check the size because we don't use 50hz and 220 volts but was certainly glad to see it. Electric start, fuel injection, inverter, computer controlled governor and quiet is what we want to fit in the current Onan space.

Yamaha has one, too. I haven't looked to see if it could be cut down in height. We don't need the fuel tank. It has a horizontal cylinder engine so maybe it is possible.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:52 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post
No such thing, right? But here's one that's quiet, light, and efficient.
Telair - TIG 3000D Generator
Might be made of unobtainium though.
According to the spec, it has a noise level of 56-59 dB @7m. That isn't much quieter than the measured values of conventional gensets as reported by FitRV:

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/rv-...tor-sound-off/
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:18 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
According to the spec, it has a noise level of 56-59 dB @7m. That isn't much quieter than the measured values of conventional gensets as reported by FitRV:

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/rv-...tor-sound-off/
56-59 dB at 22 ft vs 61 at 25 ft seems like it would be noticeable. The Telair being an inverter generator could would possibly run closer to the 56 dB most of the time. Who knows how accurate the advertised numbers are though.

In a setting where the generator would primarily charge Lithium batteries, the inverter-based generators could be tuned to run at a steady lower rpm, and they weight less too. I think I read somewhere that Cummins Onan QD sets are inverter types.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:13 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Well, I'm probably in over my head here, but I compared the specs on the Telair TIG 3000D with our Onan QG 2800:

Size in Cm:
Telair = 67 x 47 x 42 ....Onan = 56 x 42 x 33

Weight in Kg:
Telair = 78 ....Onan = 57

Rpm:
Telair = 2300-3100 ....Onan = 3600 (max?)

Sound in dB at Meters:
Telair = 57 dB@ 7 mtrs (power unknown) ....Onan = 70 Db@ 3 mtrs (half power)

After installing a muffler (resonator) on our Onan QG 2800, I measured the sound at:
Onan = 65 dB@ 3 mtrs and 51 dB@ 15 mtrs

Assuming the relationship of dB to distance is linear (it's not, but I don't want to look up the math), the comparison of sound between the Telair and the Onan is:

Sound in dB at 7 Meters:
Telair = 57 ....Onan = 59

So it appears the Telair is bigger, heavier and, if compared with an Onan equipped with a muffler, not much quieter.

Perhaps I'm missing something. I don't know what an "Inverter" generator is, but I do run my 120V appliances with the Onan.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Well, I'm probably in over my head here, but I compared the specs on the Telair TIG 3000D with our Onan QG 2800:
Perhaps I'm missing something. I don't know what an "Inverter" generator is, but I do run my 120V appliances with the Onan.
This Telair is a diesel and this Onan a gasoline genset.
A conventional generator runs at a constant speed to produce the 60 (or 50) Hz output. Whereas an inverter generator is like a vehicle alternator producing DC which is then inverted into the required AC. It can have multiple engine rpm to closer match the load. (My electrical classes were decades also this is is from internauting).
Old 01-06-2018, 05:59 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:

Size in Cm:

Weight in Kg:

Rpm:

Sound in dB at Meters:

After installing a muffler (resonator) on our Onan QG 2800, I measured the sound at:

Assuming the relationship of dB to distance is linear (it's not, but I don't want to look up the math), the comparison of sound between the Telair and the Onan is:

Sound in dB at 7 Meters:

So it appears the Telair is bigger, heavier and, if compared with an Onan equipped with a muffler, not much quieter.

The sound versus distance is not linear, it is inverse square. So, based on this calculation the winner is Onan, sound level seems to be the same, (could change if actual power is known), it is lighter and it is smaller.

Your Onan with muffler:
Tested 65 dB@3m; 51 dB@15m – (good and verifiable experiment - with 51 dB@15m as a base it comes out to 64.97 dB@3m calculated).

Telair – with 57 dB@7m base it calculates to 64.35 dB@3m and 50.38 dB@15 m.
Estimating Sound Levels With the Inverse Square Law
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:20 PM   #30

Default Yamaha Inverter generator propane conversion w/ warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyvanter View Post
I have an older Generac 5000 watt and it is absolutely the LOUDEST generator ever made!! It will wake the dead from across the state, it is so loud.

I am looking to replace it with a propane-powered generator, and would like an invertor generator so that the engine will vary according to load and reduce noise and increase efficiency. I have not yet found an invertor propane generator. Anybody??

I have been looking at the cheap Chinese propane generators branded by Champion. I have never heard one of them running to see how noisy they are. Anybody have any experience with those? They appear to have pretty good features and decent power output vs. fuel used.
A and C Propane Natural Gas Conversion Kits
check these guys out. Am on my second one in 15 years. Works great and easy to go. Have not tried to see if my current one 3000i will fit under the RV. Might be fun to try.
RoadtrekVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:48 PM   #31
Platinum Member

" Have not tried to see if my current one 3000i will fit under the RV. Might be fun to try"

Don't bother. The 3000i engine is vertical. Look at the Yamaha, I think it has a horizontal engine.
Harry
Old 02-01-2018, 08:28 PM   #32

Default yamaha

This is the genset I have:

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/ge...verter-ef2800i

used the wrong name earlier.... what do you think?
Old 02-01-2018, 08:36 PM   #33
Platinum Member

I am not an Onan proponent. However not only does the generator have to supply power it has to survive in that position underneath the van.

As i was told once-try dumping a bucket of water on your honda inverter generator and see how long it last.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:16 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Give it a try, we are all rooting for you. Maybe someone can supply a mounting pan and cover from an Onan, All you have to do is fit everything inside it. If no one volunteers it shouldn't take too much to find a dead Onan to start with.

The environment it has to live in is certainly tough but starting with the Onan shell should help. If you do it successfully, I'm gonna do it.
Harry
Old 02-01-2018, 09:21 PM   #35
Platinum Member

I looked at the Yamaha site some time ago, and IIRC, the smaller 2K style generators sit long side up, narrow side across, like a suitcase, so they are actually taller than an Onan. The 2.8 Yamaha is more rectangular, but still taller than wide and something like 4" taller than an Onan.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:25 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Yep, but if he has one he can tell if it is possible. Maybe the four inches is fuel tank. I have never been able to look at one but did see spark plug access low on the side.
Harry
Old 02-01-2018, 09:48 PM   #37
Platinum Member

You will need to start with an electric start generator. I don't see that with a Yamaha 2800i or 3000i.
Harry
Old 02-01-2018, 10:52 PM   #38
Platinum Member

EF3000iSEB has electric start.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:36 AM   #39
Platinum Member

Another very informative Topic. I have the Onan in a 210...loud, oh yeah, but I think of what it affords me immediately: I can push a button and start/stop, it is exhausted properly, and is set up to use the ethanol gas, protected from the weather. I also own the Honda 2000 that I have had since about '04, fantastic machine that sips gas, ethanol free that is, and lacks all the other amenities. When I bought this time, I had a choice in the 210's, the one with a Alternator/Generator, but not trusting "new" I went back to the Onan. If someone uses it to any large degree, I guess the price is worth the purchase. Me, it was the security of having one....should that day arrive, so it is the investment avenue. Ron
Old 03-21-2018, 03:20 PM   #40

Quote:

Size in Cm:

Weight in Kg:

Rpm:

Sound in dB at Meters:

Sound in dB at 7 Meters:

Phoebe3
Just saw your post. Did you install the Onan resonator or something else? Do you feel you had a significant noise reduction? Did you measure dB before also? Onan claims only a 1 dB reduction but You Tube video I saw sounded like more.
Lindt is offline   Reply With Quote