Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2022, 01:57 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Radio head unit recommendations?

I'm looking to replace the stock radio. Wondering if folks have recommendations? I'm looking for something (double din) that can support a back-up camera and also good bluetooth connections (one Sony I was looking at had complaints about having difficulties getting the phone to connect). Sound quality, of course is also important. Thanks!
alwechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 05:35 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I've been happy with Pioneer. I'm not sure what size unit will fit in your RV. I really like buying from Crutchfield - they know the products well and give you free, excellent support for the life of the unit.
Old 04-02-2022, 03:53 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Mine has a Kenwood 'DDX9704', with which I'm quite unhappy. I'd love to replace it someday.
  • Glare
  • Irrational user interface
  • Doesn't automatically adjust volume base on background noise
  • Doesn't have a volume knob, so to adjust the volume one has to repeatedly push a tiny button while driving down the road.

As far as sound quality, it's hard to say. My van has enough wind and road noise enough that it's pretty much impossible to tell while driving.

So for me, anything but Kenwood, as long as it has a volume knob and mute button.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:00 PM   #4
Silver Member

If you have an iPhone make sure it has Bluetooth and car play.
leva56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:22 PM   #5
Bronze Member

I've been happy with this unit.
Limited-time deal: [New] ATOTO A6 PF Android Double-DIN Car Stereo, CarPlay & Android Auto, 7 Inch Touch Screen in-Dash GPS Navigation, Dual Bluetooth, WiFi/BT/USB Tethering Internet, HD LRV, 2G+32GB, A6G2A7PF https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B3T59TX...ing=UTF8&psc=1
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:26 PM   #6
Silver Member

I am going to, later on, get one that has a screen that retracts in for my truck. Want it mainly for backing up.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:30 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauscs View Post
I've been happy with Pioneer. I'm not sure what size unit will fit in your RV. I really like buying from Crutchfield - they know the products well and give you free, excellent support for the life of the unit.
Ditto for Crutchfield. They've been doing it the right way since 1974.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:36 PM   #8

We got the Sony for Apple car play and are happy with it. Added backup camera and works well.
Ha! @Michael -I asked if there were any “knob” models and was told none but retro devices! Glad someone else doesn’t like the tiny buttons!
cdahle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 10:57 PM   #9
Silver Member

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:36 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
Mine has a Kenwood 'DDX9704', with which I'm quite unhappy. I'd love to replace it someday.
  • Glare
  • Irrational user interface
  • Doesn't automatically adjust volume base on background noise
  • Doesn't have a volume knob, so to adjust the volume one has to repeatedly push a tiny button while driving down the road.

As far as sound quality, it's hard to say. My van has enough wind and road noise enough that it's pretty much impossible to tell while driving.

So for me, anything but Kenwood, as long as it has a volume knob and mute button.
I have a Kenwood DMX7706s and pretty much agree with the above, except no real issues with glare.

Biggest downer is that Android Auto keeps disconnecting constantly, so not usable as a Google Maps screen.
The UI is very in-intuitive (is this a word?). Takes forever to figure out how to do something, and is difficult to remember. Several layered setup screens, inconsistency, secondary screens, etc. Yet feels limited in some ways.

On the plus side, it plays movies from USB sticks. Not that one would confuse it with a movie experience. More of a "hey, look at that".
Old 04-08-2022, 04:49 AM   #11
Silver Member

Another ditto for Crutchfield. I have a Pioneer unit that I got from them almost 3 years ago. It’s no longer available but similar units are. It’s got CarPlay and android auto and a built in nav system, supports the back up camera, sound is great. Things I would choose if I were to replace it are a bigger screen (7 or even 10”) and a volume knob or at least a simple mute/stereo off button. I’m not sure if I would pay for the built in nav, Google maps, etc. are so good and automatically updated that it’s hard to justify.
Nspekter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:34 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I installed a Sony XAV-AX7000. WAY overpriced for what you get - I regret buying it.

I ended up also getting a dedicated GPS navigator - something way beyond Google Maps on the stereo. I went with a Garmin RV-890 and I like it quite a lot.

(Sorry for the crummy photo)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220319_083851.jpg (248.2 KB, 9 views)
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:56 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdahle View Post
I asked if there were any “knob” models and was told none but retro devices! Glad someone else doesn’t like the tiny buttons!
I also wanted knobs - many people do. The Sony XAV-AX100 has a volume knob. It's discontinued, but you may still be able to buy this new-in-the-box somewhere online.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:37 PM   #14
Platinum Member

If you go to Crutchfield and use their selection wizard, a volume knob is an option and there are quite a few radios with them.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 03:19 PM   #15

Hi Team,

I went with a less expensive route. The Boss products are significantly less expensive than the main line brands and I found a 10" floating screen that fits in and covers my double din space (with a black-out kit). This thing has a decent amplifier in it and I use it exclusively with apple car play. The 10" touch screen is a total upgrade and looks great. I think the head unit was like 350$.

Just something ng to consider!

Cheers
Matt

IMG_0336.jpg
Liv4Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 12:03 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I recently installed a Jensen CAR710X in my 2011 C210P and pleased with it so far. Got it from Crutchfield. The only problem was figuring out the wiring since Roadtrek changed some of the wiring colors when installing the Eclipse. Has Apple & Android play.
Previously: 1999 36' Foretravel, 1998 Newell, 1993 Newell
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:59 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Another vote for Crutchfield. I am installing a Boss unit in my 2007 Econoline rig right now. I had a question about one of the back-up camera wires. I called the help number mid morning on Saturday and a tech picked up the phone right away and answered my question right away.
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:55 PM   #18
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv4Truth View Post
Hi Team,

I went with a less expensive route. The Boss products are significantly less expensive than the main line brands and I found a 10" floating screen that fits in and covers my double din space (with a black-out kit). This thing has a decent amplifier in it and I use it exclusively with apple car play. The 10" touch screen is a total upgrade and looks great. I think the head unit was like 350$.

Just something ng to consider!

Cheers
Matt

Attachment 12771
I was looking at that unit for my 1998 Popular. It's on the Dodge platform with an annoying DIN and a half opening. it looks like there's room to fit a double DIN, but no one seems to make templates to fit one, so I'm stuck with a single DIN. I'm a little worried about the floating screen interfering with the column-mounted gear selector. Can you please tell me how much it protrudes from the dash? I have about 3.5" of clearance when the selector is in Drive. I can maybe slide it to the right and tilt it towards the driver to give a little more room.
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 02:15 PM   #19

Anachr0n,

If you have 3.5in of clearance you may be able to make it work. I did not measure it but here are some profile pics that may help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0367.jpg (268.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0368.jpg (200.3 KB, 8 views)
Liv4Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 03:19 PM   #20
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv4Truth View Post
Anachr0n,

If you have 3.5in of clearance you may be able to make it work. I did not measure it but here are some profile pics that may help.
Thanks for the pics @Liv4Truth. I think it'll fit. I might bump it if I'm wearing ski gloves, but that'll be a rare event.
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote