Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2022, 04:34 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Radio replacement

02 Chevy 190 Roadtrek.

Looking to replace the oem stereo. Currently using my obd2 with torque application on my android phone with good results. Just looking for any opinions on what to get that will allow viewing of that data along with real gps and USB port.
Thanks
KurtFranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:24 PM   #2
Platinum Member

step 1 may be looking at what is involved replacing the chev van radio
some of the youtube videos show dropping the steering column required
it looks very fiddly.

I don't think that any of the commercially available gps match the google maps/waze for instant updates for traffic, road closures etc and integration with "search on route" for campsites, gas or other

this was shown me on recent trip where we ran into many examples of roadworks/closures/detours and were able to route around them

I have a dedicated old phone to the obb app I use

and my "real" phone for gps/ traffic and the now essential gas buddy app

but a better stereo may be a dandy improvement !

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:03 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
step 1 may be looking at what is involved replacing the chev van radio
some of the youtube videos show dropping the steering column required
it looks very fiddly.

I don't think that any of the commercially available gps match the google maps/waze for instant updates for traffic, road closures etc and integration with "search on route" for campsites, gas or other

this was shown me on recent trip where we ran into many examples of roadworks/closures/detours and were able to route around them

I have a dedicated old phone to the obb app I use

and my "real" phone for gps/ traffic and the now essential gas buddy app

but a better stereo may be a dandy improvement !

Mike
Good points. Maybe I will just stick with cds and continue to do what you describe above essentially. Might be good therapy to stay old school
KurtFranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:28 PM   #4

I have a 11C190P and the first owner put a pioneer head unit in that is connected to the backup camera. A must for me. This unit is also compatible with Iphone and Android and once the phone is plugged in I can see the GSP on the head unit. It's a nice size - much bigger than my Iphone screen. You might want to see what you can find through Pioneer. Best of luck with the search.

Kelly & Tuk-Tuk
Kellyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:30 PM   #5

Hi, not sure of some of the jargon you mentioned, but a while back we had a Kenwood radio installed with cd, gotta have that, ☺. It has all the bells and whistles, but no backup camera. Hubby put a separate unit. It is a single din, which I didn't know what that was until we started looking. Best Buy installed it, and it looks factory installed It also has a remote making it easier for me to use. One drawback, the clock is tiny when the unit is in use.
Old 06-17-2022, 04:03 AM   #6
Gold Member

I don't think you're going to find car stereo that will have the torque monitoring you currently have with your phone and ODB2 port. you can simply buy a bluetooth speaker and play tunes through your phone while it's still giving you torque info, or you can buy a separate in-dash unit for your audio, navigation, and backup camera.

I'm looking at the Boss 10 inch floating screen system. It's a single DIN unit with a big screen that floats in front of the space. It has Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, as well as a connection for a backup camera. I got a quote for $1,200 CAD installed with the cam. Just bought new tires, along with front brakes, rotors & callipers, so I'm gonna wait a bit on the stereo...
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 01:21 PM   #7

I found that working with www.crutchfield.com was a great help when replacing the radio in my 2007 Roadtrek Agile.
jimtwilliams1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:49 PM   #8
Gold Member

This is what I was looking at
https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-Audio-Sy...s%2C124&sr=8-2
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:58 AM   #9
Gold Member

I have decided to leave well enough alone and keep the OEM original unit in place for now. I always liked CDs and it all works fine so what the heck. I really don't need a back up camera and and my phone apps staring me in the face while I am driving. I see enough of that every day anyway

www.roadtrek190.com
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote