Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2021, 11:48 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Relocating Batteries

I'm going to change the location of where my batteries are. The existing cables are too short to reach the new location. I was going to secure the cables to heavy duty buss bars and run a cable from these bars to the new battery location. Simple enough, right? Should be OK?

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:50 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
I'm going to change the location of where my batteries are. The existing cables are too short to reach the new location. I was going to secure the cables to heavy duty buss bars and run a cable from these bars to the new battery location. Simple enough, right? Should be OK?

Eric
Your plan should work. I suggest a battery monitor/shunt addition to the negative side which will allow you to extend battery cable length and provide much needed information on amp hour use and remaining capacity.

Using your suggested buss bar on the positive cable will do the job there. Just be aware that many shunts and buss bars do no come with enclosures to prevent shorts. If your case is like mine and you have no protected wall mount location, you'll need to order ones with covers or make something yourself.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:45 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Your plan should work. I suggest a battery monitor/shunt addition to the negative side which will allow you to extend battery cable length and provide much needed information on amp hour use and remaining capacity.

Using your suggested buss bar on the positive cable will do the job there. Just be aware that many shunts and buss bars do no come with enclosures to prevent shorts. If your case is like mine and you have no protected wall mount location, you'll need to order ones with covers or make something yourself.
I bought these bars LINK and a Victron monitor. The negative cable will go through the shunt before it reaches the buss.

I'm going from about 170Ah to about 410 Ah, all lead acid deep cycle. There are two sets of cables attached to the battery now. One is outgoing with a 100 amp fuse and runs to a small inverter for the entertainment system. That'll stay the same. The other set is the business end, coming and going from the converter, I assume. I see no additional protection on that wire like a fuse or a breaker but I would think that is being handled at the converter. I dunno. Should I fuse my new battery cables?

I'll be running 1/0 cable from the batteries to the buss. Everthing else will remain the same. I'll be adding a 2000s psw inverter right next to the buss but it will only power one outlet in the kitchen for coffee, not the nuke.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 03-27-2021, 06:03 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Depending on how far your run is I’d recommend putting a fuse at the battery just in case somehow there was a short. Fuse size would be dependent on inverter size. Its really a sacrificial fuse to protect the battery and vehicle in case of a short on the run to the bus bar.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:07 AM   #5
Platinum Member

It's not a long run, but fuses are relatively cheap. Good idea, thanks.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 03-27-2021, 12:50 PM   #6
Site Team

Best way to put fuses at the battery is with MRBF fuses mounted directly to the positive terminal:

avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:36 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Thumbs up

What I was thinking
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:10 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Thanks, that does look handy

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g