Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 03:45 AM   #1

Default Resetting GFCI 2012 free spirit ss

Tripped the 30 amp circuit breaker. Reset the breaker, but the two galley side outlets now have no power. I am guessing there is a gfi that i need to reset. But can't find it.
Help appreciated.
MikeCavalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:13 PM   #2
Platinum Member

GFCI is usually near a sink or water source by codes and good practice.

in my pleasure way it is in the head, next to the sink- this GFCI also controls other outlets on the circuit, both galley & the outside outlets.

when I popped mine it took some head scratching as I never use the head outlet and it was part covered by a hand towel rack...eventually I found it- pressed the button.

I now keep a small led nightlight plugged in there as a convenience and as a power status indicator

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:53 PM   #3

Default GFCI problem resolved

Thanks - The GFCI on the passenger side exterior outlet controls the two galley GFCI protected outlets.
Much appreciated.
Mike cavalle
Old 08-06-2016, 06:49 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCavalle View Post
Thanks - The GFCI on the passenger side exterior outlet controls the two galley GFCI protected outlets.
Much appreciated.
Mike cavalle
Do the galley outlets have GFIs installed in them or are they standard outlets?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #5

Default Cgfi outlets

The two galley standard outlets have stickers where the gfi resets go indicating that they are cgfi controlled.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:18 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
The two galley standard outlets have stickers where the gfi resets go indicating that they are cgfi controlled.
When GFIs emerged decades ago, they were so expensive that even in residential applications, GFI protection was implemented with a single GFI at the breaker panel.

The GFI can be wired so that it controls only a local outlet or, as on your coach, it can be wired so that when it trips, it also trips any downstream receptacles. When GFIs were so expensive, there was at least some economy argument for using a single GFI to control multiple outlets. But GFIs are so inexpensive today that this arrangement seems silly to me. For less than twenty bucks, you can change the wiring on your outside outlet to convert it to an independent device and replace the downstream outlets with independent GFIs. The current production of these units even has a little green LED on it to to indicate the status of the device.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:29 PM   #7

Thanks, that's good advice.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:02 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks, that's good advice.
I'm not a big fan of slideouts but I think the Free Spirit SS is an awesome design and was sorry to see LTV drop it from their line. Does your coach have the integrated awning that makes the typical protuberance of the awning shell disappear when not extended? I would have ordered that option in a New York heartbeat.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:44 AM   #9

When not extended the awining resides on the passenger side roof. It is quite prominent.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
I'm not a big fan of slideouts but I think the Free Spirit SS is an awesome design and was sorry to see LTV drop it from their line. Does your coach have the integrated awning that makes the typical protuberance of the awning shell disappear when not extended? I would have ordered that option in a New York heartbeat.
Definitely different for a B. How is it an awesome design?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:33 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Definitely different for a B. How is it an awesome design?
As far as I know, the only Class B that ever offered this option. Retracted, it doesn't even look like there is an awning.

Why I think it's awesome?

1. It advances the "stealth" profile. Absent the awning (and devoid of garish striping and OEM advertising), the coach is almost indistinguishable from a commercial van.

2. Aesthetics. IMO, the ungainly protuberance sticking out of the side of the coach is just plain ugly.

3. The exposed enclosure seems to be a magnet for dirt and bird crap.

4.. Decreases wind resistance.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:16 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I was curious of what awesome meant.

That wasn't an integrated awning they had to build up a roof all sides to achieve that look which made it several inches taller in appearance. It was an option that I never saw in the few Free Spirit SSes that actually got out on the road. The awning was still there. That is aways a dead giveaway for an RV. Not so much the air conditioner anymore since many commercial and hotel shuttle Sprinters have them now. I'm not sure it decreases wind resistance but other companies had been putting a front built up shield for that purpose. With cross winds it might not be so good.

The driver side still had the RV tell tell hot water heater cover, top and bottom vents for the absorption refrigerator and utility compartments to make it blare RV. If you parallel park all that shows on the street side. RV converters never like to show that side.

They were late to the stealth look. Great West Vans had been doing the non decal graphics look sans garish swoops and swirls for years before the Free Spirit SS. Now everyone does it.

I'm not sure how your item 2 and 3 makes it awesome. It's all a moot point anyway since they don't make them anymore and If you want the slide and very similar floor plan Winnebago has one in an Era model.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:10 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I was curious of what awesome meant.

That wasn't an integrated awning they had to build up a roof all sides to achieve that look which made it several inches taller in appearance. It was an option that I never saw in the few Free Spirit SSes that actually got out on the road. The awning was still there. That is aways a dead giveaway for an RV. Not so much the air conditioner anymore since many commercial and hotel shuttle Sprinters have them now. I'm not sure it decreases wind resistance but other companies had been putting a front built up shield for that purpose. With cross winds it might not be so good.

The driver side still had the RV tell tell hot water heater cover, top and bottom vents for the absorption refrigerator and utility compartments to make it blare RV. If you parallel park all that shows on the street side. RV converters never like to show that side.

They were late to the stealth look. Great West Vans had been doing the non decal graphics look sans garish swoops and swirls for years before the Free Spirit SS. Now everyone does it.

I'm not sure how your item 2 and 3 makes it awesome. It's all a moot point anyway since they don't make them anymore and If you want the slide and very similar floor plan Winnebago has one in an Era model.
Are you saying that this option increased the height of the coach or that it appeared to increase the height? In any event, if you don't think it improved the passenger roofline, I guess it comes down to the proverbial eye of the beholder. IMO, awnings just look hokey and LTV's idea of hiding it was way cool. As far as typical awning wind resistance occurs, I think it can be replicated by sticking your open hand out the window at highway speeds - not monumental but not insignificant either.

Edit: Looked at that option again and I see what you mean. The whole cap had to be raised to do that and any wind resistance decrease would be more than offset by the wind resistance increase from the raised cap.

Agreed, the street side vents can be somewhat of a give away but between the use of compressor refrigerators which eliminate a vent or two plus the choice of darker exterior colors makes the remaining vent and gizmos seems a lot less noticeable.

I can see the purpose of some decals on a big coach to mitigate looking like beached whale but I don't think decals on a Class B serve any useful purpose and in the event of the necessity of body work, even a small repair can entail the laborious process of removing and replacing extensive graphics.

Re your reference to the ERA slide out, I don't think it's a good idea on a coach that doesn't have some hydraulic or electric levelers.

Something I see on the ERA that surprises me is the dashboard switch that permits battery boosting. I thought that Mercedes prohibits coach builders that that build up the Sprinter from implementing separators, battery boosters etc.