Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2021, 02:55 AM   #1

Default Roadtrek 190 side doors

Are these doors able to open all the way out so they are flush with the RV?
StevieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 02:59 AM   #2

sorry, wrong forum
StevieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:44 AM   #3
Platinum Member

On my 2003, they do not. I can't say whether that's true for more recent models.
Old 07-17-2021, 02:53 PM   #4
Platinum Member

No they do not. The front half has a metal strap that limits the range of motion to prevent interference with the front passenger door. The rear half opens a little more than the front (on models with the third seat; it’s screwed shut on my enclosed wet bath model).

I’ve used a number of Chevy passenger vans shlepping high school students and church youth groups, and they’re all the same.

That strap is under engineered. Mine makes an unpleasant scraping noise, caused by over-extension at some point in the past. I discussed it with a Chevy service manager, who said he could replace it, but it would probably do the same thing again.

In spite of the limitations I still prefer swinging doors to sliders.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:09 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
No they do not. The front half has a metal strap that limits the range of motion to prevent interference with the front passenger door. The rear half opens a little more than the front (on models with the third seat; it’s screwed shut on my enclosed wet bath model).
<snip>
Yes, but ...

If you only open the forward side door part way, then pull that metal strap aft/inward, and continue opening the door while still holding the strap, it will open further; still a long way from folding flush though.

If your rear door does open (i.e., no large enclosed bath), then it works similarly.
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:25 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
<snip>
The rear half opens a little more than the front (on models with the third seat; it’s screwed shut on my enclosed wet bath model).
<snip>
Not to hijack this thread, but note to Jon, and others with the large enclosed wet bath:

I have this type of bath also on my 09/10C190P. I removed the screw(s) so that the door can open. I found that RT had removed the metal limit strap on the rear door, because it interfered somewhat with the storage pocket that protrudes from the shower wall. I bought the strap, and cut (ground) off some of the top of it, and it fits and works fine. There is a decent amount of storage space to be gained.

I went further and eliminated the shower drain and trap from this area, sealed it off, and added a a new drain from the shower that just dumps on the floor by the aisle drain. Even more storage space! This second mod is not simple, but the work was worth it to me.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:32 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Here's a photo of the extra storage. The Chevy jack is in the red bag. We also keep our "ground mat" rolled up on the step just below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV side storage 07.jpg (235.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-18-2021, 03:24 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicktill View Post
Yes, but ...

If you only open the forward side door part way, then pull that metal strap aft/inward, and continue opening the door while still holding the strap, it will open further; still a long way from folding flush though.

If your rear door does open (i.e., no large enclosed bath), then it works similarly.
Thanks for the additional information. I didn’t know there was an override. I’m not sure how useful it would be to us, since we don’t leave the side door open in camp, but It’s good to know.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:47 PM   #9

Default They will withsome help

Hi,

If you have a Dodge based 190 (or 170) the doors will swing out flush if you remove the arm that limits the travel. I have done this to the front or right door of the pair. I installed a 'chair lift' for my late wife a while back to allow for easier access into the RV. I just use a bungee cord to hold the door opened when we do this because the slightest breeze will cause the door to swing shut. I will included a couple of pictures to show the lift with the right door swung wide open. The picture is not that great but you can see that there is no door in the way. The second picture shows the lift in the down position.

If you look at the left door you can see the travel limiting arm in the lower part of the door. You can just see that the right door has no limiting arm. It takes 2 minutes to remove the arm.

By the way I no longer have a need for the lift so if someone needs such a device contact me.

Roland (a long time follower, but this is my first post)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg van_lift_1.jpg (215.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg van_lift_2.jpg (194.8 KB, 17 views)
roland.lussier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:56 PM   #10
Jay

Does anyone know what the actual shade of white color is for this era of white Roadtrek (1998 190 Versatile)? The fiberglass top is off-white, and I'd like to get some good paint for it to redo above the decals, preferably spray paint cans, but anything that works!
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:20 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland.lussier View Post
Hi,

If you have a Dodge based 190 (or 170) the doors will swing out flush if you remove the arm that limits the travel. I have done this to the front or right door of the pair. I installed a 'chair lift' for my late wife a while back to allow for easier access into the RV. I just use a bungee cord to hold the door opened when we do this because the slightest breeze will cause the door to swing shut. I will included a couple of pictures to show the lift with the right door swung wide open. The picture is not that great but you can see that there is no door in the way. The second picture shows the lift in the down position.

If you look at the left door you can see the travel limiting arm in the lower part of the door. You can just see that the right door has no limiting arm. It takes 2 minutes to remove the arm.

By the way I no longer have a need for the lift so if someone needs such a device contact me.

Roland (a long time follower, but this is my first post)

Welcome to the forum Roland!

I hope you're not needing the lift because you lost your travel partner. It looks like you did all you could to take someone special along with you on your travels.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote