Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2020, 11:36 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptofit View Post
Exactly! and why I should not be working on it myself. But looks like the only way it’s going to get done .

If anyone here has had experience with this please reply. Thanks
Did you find the button? It is very small. Should be on the side of that little black box
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:27 PM   #22
Bronze Member

Hey guys I just wanna check in and let you know So far I haven’t killed Myself playing w/ electrical

I’ve been sick all week, but now sicker dealing with this yesterday. Had to go to the doctor.

Calling around and try to find some help. On fb as well

There’s a guy that check my batteries a few days ago i may drive back to where he is and see if he can do this.
Cryptofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:28 PM   #23
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Did you find the button? It is very small. Should be on the side of that little black box

What button?
Old 01-31-2020, 04:57 PM   #24
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
. But that doesn't do you any good. There is a mobile independent tech who is very good on Roadtreks from what we hear. We hear mostly about lithium, but likely he would be able to help you also. I think his name is Dan Neely (sp) and hopefully someone will have a number.

I would agree that it may be time to trade it off on something simpler and easier to maintain, as you are not a DIY type, which IMO is probably what is needed.

So females are not allowed to Vent and ask for DIY help on these forums.?
I realize I’m going to have to Fix it,OK?

Sorry I can’t cut bait and Run.

I’m not a electrical engineer but I can do anything somebody shows me how to do.

All of this would’ve been fixed long ago if I hadn’t had rv tech. Who are clueless about this system and don't care to learn or ask Roadtrek for help. That is what happened. It’s not the Rv’s fault that they don’t know how to fix the electrical system and just wanted to scam me.

I now know how ruthless the rv industry is now and i cannot count on them for help. Thats why i am reaching out online on how to fix myself.

That’s all I’m here for.

Unfortunately there is no videos on this topic. And is usually the way I learn how to do things. So I might ask what do you mean many times unless you can show me a video.��

But I really need help from somebody that knows this equalizer and how to reset it. Thanks
Old 01-31-2020, 05:14 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptofit View Post
So females are not allowed to Vent and ask for DIY help on these forums.?
I realize I’m going to have to Fix it,OK?

Sorry I can’t cut bait and Run.

I’m not a electrical engineer but I can do anything somebody shows me how to do.

All of this would’ve been fixed long ago if I hadn’t had rv tech. Who are clueless about this system and don't care to learn or ask Roadtrek for help. That is what happened. It’s not the Rv’s fault that they don’t know how to fix the electrical system and just wanted to scam me.

That’s all I’m here for.

I have no idea where you came up with this stuff.

I had/have no idea of your gender, nor do I care. You asked for help, vented a bunch and I gave you my opinion on what I consider the best way to get an Etrek functional.

I gave you name of a top end tech that might be able to help as he is very good by all reports, but you choose to not call him based on other tech's faults?

Others and I mentioned getting out from under the etrek because there are very few people around that would be able successfully troubleshoot and maintain one, much less convert one to a more reliable setup. As you have found out even most techs aren't able to do much with them. We have seen quite a few owners here with similar problems and they are not easy to fix. You don't need to be an electrical engineer, which doesn't matter anyway, but the necessary knowledge level is pretty high and it very hard for any of us do it long range.

Be aware, as I think was mentioned by others, that your batteries are likely bad at this point so you are looking at something like $2500 just for the batteries themselves. The is a very low chance that they are still in decent shape from what you have described.

Sorry I couldn't help to your satisfaction, but I could do without being chastised for trying.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:20 PM   #26
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I have no idea where you came up with this stuff.

I had/have no idea of your gender, nor do I care. You asked for help, vented a bunch and I gave you my opinion on what I consider the best way to get an Etrek functional.

I gave you name of a top end tech that might be able to help as he is very good by all reports, but you choose to not call him based on other tech's faults?

Others and I mentioned getting out from under the etrek because there are very few people around that would be able successfully troubleshoot and maintain one, much less convert one to a more reliable setup. As you have found out even most techs aren't able to do much with them. We have seen quite a few owners here with similar problems and they are not easy to fix. You don't need to be an electrical engineer, which doesn't matter anyway, but the necessary knowledge level is pretty high and it very hard for any of us do it long range.

Be aware, as I think was mentioned by others, that your batteries are likely bad at this point so you are looking at something like $2500 just for the batteries themselves. The is a very low chance that they are still in decent shape from what you have described.

Sorry I couldn't help to your satisfaction, but I could do without being chastised for trying.
Exactly you don’t know the whole story. I was catching you up.

I’ve posted this before but looks like it might’ve gotten deleted.

DAN Neely is one of the guys that rip me off and would not look at the equalizer and test it as i asked 8 months ago. He does not stand by his work.

Instead he charged me $2300 to replace an inverter that did not need to be replaced.

so far the 2 under batteries have been replaced
Alternator belts been replaced several times. Inverter has been replaced. . Only thing that hasn’t replaced are the six pack batteries which have been fully tested and will not change the fact that the under hood alternator is not charging the batteries in the back. When On shore power the batteries get charged. There is a problem with the equalizer.

Also, solar panels are charging the batteries slowly.

I just really want to focus on trying to get the equalizer tested correctly. That’s all.

I do appreciate you trying to help and telling me about Dan. But he is not as knowledgeable as people think. I had to tell him to make sure to shim.belts And he called his friend to confirm that it needs to be done. That’s common knowledge If you know the etrek system .

So
I found a Etrek Facebook group that was not there six months ago.

I am going over there to ask questions as well. Thanks again all for trying to help.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:16 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Thanks for the posts. Stick with us. Others know more than I do but I think I’m beginning to understand your system.

A button should be on the little black boxes with the wires to them in your picture. It is very small (1/8”) probably on the side. Let us know when you find them.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:03 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Some of the Etreks required that you increase engine RPM's to get the 2nd alternator to start charging the batteries.

Quote:
You must rev the engine to 2,500 RPM for 10 seconds to start charging your batteries.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:13 AM   #29
Bronze Member

Default battery equalization issue

I have a 2015 CS etrek and went through similar issues with battery balancing. My first recommendation would be to check the voltage of each battery (best when not charging, so evening is best time because solar charging would alter your voltages). My guess is. that your voltage differences are probably > 0.3volts. They should be much closer together. Mine are usually within 0.05 volts. Roadtrek copied my system but placed the equalizer further away from the batteries. Mine are in the back with a very short wire run to the batteries. I can send you specific photos and details of my system... which has served me well. You can contact me at via hal.devera@yahoo.com... if you want to get information how I corrected their battery system.
hdevera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:50 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Default Breaker Button

Is it possible that those breakers are an automatic reset type? Thus no button.

ie.

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/4691...SABEgJTA_D_BwE
DaveBad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:21 PM   #31
Platinum Member

The breakers on the battery equalizer wires on my 2013 E-Trek appear to be auto-reset breakers. There is no reset button.

For what it is worth, my E-Trek has worked fine since adding the equalizer soon after the design problem was discovered (thanks to this forum). I’m closing in on 7 years and 105k miles with the original batteries. Can’t think of the last time I used shore power other than 24-hour top-off charges at home in my garage.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:24 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
.......... 24-hour top-off charges at home in my garage.

Getting lead acid batteries full, even periodically, is what they need. No doubt your success is due to how you've maintained the batteries.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:16 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Cryptofit quit talking to us. Looks like hvedera is her best source to fix her system.We would like to know the outcome.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:02 PM   #34

I verified the breaker/fuse on my 2015 E-Trek does not have a reset button. Based on the description of what is and isn't working I doubt that the equalizer is the only issue. I had similar issues as being described due to both batteries under the hood being bad. Once they were replaced everything worked much better.

I have highly modified my whole system based on the help booster, marcopolo, and others have provided in previous threads.

I rewired all the batteries to be 2 in parallel and then all 4 banks in series to provide 24V only. I first rewired the supplied equalizer to be a converter and have since replaced it with a Victron 24v-12v converter. I have not had any issues in a couple of years now.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:48 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Being an Engineer myself I really have a hard time saying this, but engineers (myself included) can miss the problem and go down the rabbit hole. Presumably, this system was designed by an electrical engineer who followed a line of thought but missed certain critical parameters of the system. Maybe he was young or maybe he had not had experience designing Low voltage DC systems. Whatever, he did not design a robust worst case system...then RT went under. The system really needs to be evaluated and re-designed by an engineer competent with low voltage DC systems...period. Whomever this turns out to be (in anyone) it should be shared widely to assist those saddled with these poorly designed systems. My two cents.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:56 PM   #36

That's what I was thinking ...

Go Lithium and buy a new inverter.

Has anyone seen this before?
DAVE_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:58 PM   #37
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Cryptofit quit talking to us. Looks like hvedera is her best source to fix her system.We would like to know the outcome.
Hi,

Sorry for the delay but I have been extremely sick for past 2 weeks. I could not even open my eyes to any light , especially computer screen. Better now thanks for help.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:06 PM   #38
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctucker View Post
I verified the breaker/fuse on my 2015 E-Trek does not have a reset button. Based on the description of what is and isn't working I doubt that the equalizer is the only issue. I had similar issues as being described due to both batteries under the hood being bad. Once they were replaced everything worked much better.

I have highly modified my whole system based on the help booster, marcopolo, and others have provided in previous threads.

I rewired all the batteries to be 2 in parallel and then all 4 banks in series to provide 24V only. I first rewired the supplied equalizer to be a converter and have since replaced it with a Victron 24v-12v converter. I have not had any issues in a couple of years now.
Thanks for the info.

My underhood batteries have already been replaced. They have also been texted.

Mercedes was kind enough to test the batteries underhood and the 2nd alternate and they are working fine. They followed the wire back and said that power stops at “the box near the back”. I am assuming the equalizer under my ottoman.

Shawn from Roadtrek said there is an inline fuse for equalizer. I see in image diagram, but my equalizer wires have thick rubber casing on them. Am I suppose to cut that rubber to expose the fuse so I can see if that is the problem? Thanks
Old 02-16-2020, 06:11 PM   #39
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdevera View Post
I have a 2015 CS etrek and went through similar issues with battery balancing. My first recommendation would be to check the voltage of each battery (best when not charging, so evening is best time because solar charging would alter your voltages). My guess is. that your voltage differences are probably > 0.3volts. They should be much closer together. Mine are usually within 0.05 volts. Roadtrek copied my system but placed the equalizer further away from the batteries. Mine are in the back with a very short wire run to the batteries. I can send you specific photos and details of my system... which has served me well. You can contact me at via hal.devera@yahoo.com... if you want to get information how I corrected their battery system.
Thanks for the info. Look for my email.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:24 PM   #40

Cryptofit ...

Similar problem here with my 2015 E-TRek

Batteries seem strong - I've run them and charged them through shore power a dozen times or so. I've checked the front batteries - they look good .. not checked the back batteries yet. But like I said, I think the batteries are good, I run the ac 3-4 ours at a time then charge up on shore power .. everything is working fine ... just the generator isn't charging. I bought a cheap volt gauge that I wired into a cig lighter and at full charge it reads 13.5 and then I practice camp for a few hours till it hits 12.1 or so and shore/charge it up again. fyi ... Batteries were replaced after owner #1. I'm Owner #3.

It's just the underhood generator is not working.

So, I've been emailing Sean at RT ... He also said it was a re settable fuse under the coach, but hasn't yet told me where it was ... waiting for a reply.

I've zero volts at the 24v alternator so it isn't getting any feed back from the batteries .. and I've talked to the UG people, Adams Nation, and we did some testing, and they think its a fuse as well. If the generator doen't read power from the batteries, it won't charge.

I've checked my equalizer and it's breakers as well. All good. It's getting 24v+ on both breaker posts and 12v+ on the other breaker posts.

It's hard to trace wire under the rig ... I don't fit ... but I'm going to get a few jack stands and a jack and crawl under there tomorrow ...

Pleeeeeease let me know how you fared or if you or anybody has additional insight.

I'd like to switch to Lithium .. has anybody done this with 2015 E-Trek yet? Can you share the solution?
DAVE_B is offline   Reply With Quote