Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-20-2020, 09:44 PM   #1
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NM
Posts: 27
Default Roadtrek House Battery Discharging

My 2010 Roadtrek 210 Popular has 2 deep cycle house batteries. When it is stored, the house batteries go dead, even though I have turned the battery switch on the control panel to "off." Periodically, I check the batteries and run the generator to bring them back up to full charge, but sometimes they go dead in a couple of weeks and won't start the generator. Then I have to drive the vehicle from storage to my home and use shore power to get them back up. The unit also has an inverter, but I don't see how that could be discharging the batteries. Any ideas on why they could be discharging? Everything should be turned off, as far as I can tell.

Thanks
__________________

rscrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:52 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 8,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscrogg View Post
My 2010 Roadtrek 210 Popular has 2 deep cycle house batteries. When it is stored, the house batteries go dead, even though I have turned the battery switch on the control panel to "off." Periodically, I check the batteries and run the generator to bring them back up to full charge, but sometimes they go dead in a couple of weeks and won't start the generator. Then I have to drive the vehicle from storage to my home and use shore power to get them back up. The unit also has an inverter, but I don't see how that could be discharging the batteries. Any ideas on why they could be discharging? Everything should be turned off, as far as I can tell.

Thanks

The inverter/charger is still connected with the battery switch off and will take a bit of power, but should go longer than a couple of weeks. Of course you batteries are approaching 10 years old, and if have gone dead or near dead a number of times they are likely pretty much at end of life. If you are running the van to drive it, the coach batteries should also be charging off the alternator. The engine running should also supply power to the generator so you could start it. If this is not happening, you likely have a bad separator or one of the two auto reset circuit breakers from the engine to the the batteries.
__________________

booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:33 PM   #3
Platinum Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Arizona
Posts: 253
Default

My 2014 190P has a second inverter switch above the battery disconnect. If it’s left on, something is humming in the back of the trailer even with the battery disconnect off. I had the same problem- rapid discharge- until I figured out the second switch. The switch is counterintuitive: up is off and down is on. When off, the noise stops and the battery holds a charge.

Beyond that, your batteries may have a severely reduced capacity due to the frequent deep discharge. That would also necessitate more frequent recharging. Might be worth having them load tested.

Once I figured out the switch and put in two new batteries, mine can sit 3-4 weeks before I have to plug in and recharge.

I also had the isolator in the engine compartment checked and it turned up good.
__________________
2014 Roadtrek 190 Popular
2008 Scamp 13
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:45 AM   #4
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 28
Default

I ended up having a similar issue. I left the rv sitting for a few months and that was a mistake. Turned out that when those babies died down to nothing, it killed one of them. At least that is what I am able to gather based on research. (Although one of them might have been bad to start with given that I had issues prior to them sitting.)

Taught me two valuable lessons: 1) never let a batter go down as far as I did. 2) Napa won't honor their battery warranty despite it being one of their own, need the receipt even if given to you.....which means Napa won't earn any business from me in the future.
stevanpierce@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:31 PM   #5
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: America's Seaplane City, FL
Posts: 563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanpierce@gmail.com View Post
I ended up having a similar issue. I left the rv sitting for a few months and that was a mistake. Turned out that when those babies died down to nothing, it killed one of them. At least that is what I am able to gather based on research. (Although one of them might have been bad to start with given that I had issues prior to them sitting.)

Taught me two valuable lessons: 1) never let a batter go down as far as I did. 2) Napa won't honor their battery warranty despite it being one of their own, need the receipt even if given to you.....which means Napa won't earn any business from me in the future.
I've found that Walmart does not need the receipt, they store it in their computer. Any Walmart will honor it. BTDT.
__________________
2000 Roadtrek Chevy 200 Versatile
Fun stuff:
'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
'98 Kawasaki KLR650
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #6
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I've found that Walmart does not need the receipt, they store it in their computer. Any Walmart will honor it. BTDT.
Yeah, similar w AutoZone or others. It was disappointing to say the least. So, they'll never earn my business; and, by this thread as prime example, will recommend others to not use them as well.
__________________

stevanpierce@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
roadtrek house batteries

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×