Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2017, 11:18 PM   #101
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
It may not help to get Hammil in on it, as it appears from and earlier post that it was he who caused the "misunderstanding" in the first place.

From and earlier post " We truly bought this vehicle because we thought, and were actually led to believe by Jim Hammill, CEO of Roadtrek, that the VoltStart and UG would keep the A/C running continuously, so we did not have to fear that our dog would be jeopardized. Jim even did some electrical calculations in front of us when we negotiated the purchase."
All the more reason to have a discussion with Jim. I realize that many people here have very negative views of Jim but there are plenty of cases where owners have contacted Jim and gotten satisfaction including having their van replaced by one that resolves their issues. As I said, a confrontational approach has not been the best way to initiate the discussion. I guess I don't see any downside in initiating a discussion with Jim and it may be productive in getting a good outcome.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:34 AM   #102
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
All the more reason to have a discussion with Jim. I realize that many people here have very negative views of Jim but there are plenty of cases where owners have contacted Jim and gotten satisfaction including having their van replaced by one that resolves their issues. As I said, a confrontational approach has not been the best way to initiate the discussion. I guess I don't see any downside in initiating a discussion with Jim and it may be productive in getting a good outcome.
Better to have an attorney contact Jim. This is would be better for the customer as everything then will be in writing. When I purchase my class b next year I will have everything put in writing. Then, I will have my attorney review it to make sure it is all legal.
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:43 AM   #103
Platinum Member

Dealerships are nicknamed stealerships for a reason. And that is typically promises made verbally but not in writing that no one can prove when it comes down to it. And lets face it, it's an adversarial relationship to begin with. We want something and they have it. We have to guess what they will accept for an offer and trust the dealer that all the promises they made will come true.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:20 AM   #104
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
Dealerships are nicknamed stealerships for a reason. And that is typically promises made verbally but not in writing that no one can prove when it comes down to it. And lets face it, it's an adversarial relationship to begin with. We want something and they have it. We have to guess what they will accept for an offer and trust the dealer that all the promises they made will come true.
Sad but true, and in this case even sadder because the manufacturer's president was part of the deception used to get the sale.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:29 AM   #105
Platinum Member

People really need to pay attention to what they sign as it seems the RV industry is built on lies in order to get a sale.
This video is about car sales people lies but RV sales people do the same.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:53 AM   #106
Platinum Member

There are a few RV dealers who are above board but unfortunately only a few...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:40 PM   #107
Platinum Member

I have nothing but good to say about the integrity of Lake Regions RV in Minnesota, a Roadtrek dealer. But with that I don't know how a dealer can keep up with the technology of the lithium batteries and all. It's complex and the dealers are at the mercy of the converters in the information they receive which is probably only a tad more than what the buyer gets.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:57 PM   #108
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I have nothing but good to say about the integrity of Lake Regions RV in Minnesota, a Roadtrek dealer. But with that I don't know how a dealer can keep up with the technology of the lithium batteries and all. It's complex and the dealers are at the mercy of the converters in the information they receive which is probably only a tad more than what the buyer gets.
I hope they stay that way, but I am starting to wonder about it. The last few times I have either been to their location or at the RV show, the sales folks were a lot more typically RV sales types, with nearly no product knowledge. The last time I was at the location was to see if they were interested in our recently removed, extremely good condition generator, as I know they get fairly regular requests to add or replace them, from past discussions with a previous service guy. They had a new general manager, which appears to also be a new position, so didn't even see Dale around anywhere. He was everything you expect from an RV guy, cocky, pushy, and if you questioned anything, very rude and demeaning. Exactly the opposite of Dale and Nicole.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:53 PM   #109

I took delivery of Hymer Actvi in Dec 2016. It is fully loaded with Voltstart, solar panels, etc. have had nothing but trouble with it like Volt start does not function at all. Issues with Dodge Ram pro master rear doors handle breaking internally (wont lock) and also the latch at top of door is broken. ENgine battery had to be replaced because of van would not start. It still will not start after setting a couple days requiring jump start. NO SUPPORT from HYMER/ROADTREK. Totally disgusted with this with only 1400 miles. Pleas do not wast your time or money on this.
Activ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #110

Angry Sad to second Aktiv's post

I have been too discouraged to participate further in this post but I must corroborate Aktiv's experience. I haven't been able to use my Versatile 170 for a single day due to never-ending defects that should have been caught in the factory. I don't believe they do any quality control at all prior to shipping vehicles, nor does the dealer. Right now, my Versatile has been at the shop for 10 days and they cannot fix the VoltStart which has never operated at all. Prior to that it has been in the shop for several weeks. So many problems you would get bored hearing about it. $100 k down the drain. I screwed up; I trusted Roadtrek's sales claims.
Beanbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:47 PM   #111
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanbug View Post
I have been too discouraged to participate further in this post but I must corroborate Aktiv's experience. I haven't been able to use my Versatile 170 for a single day due to never-ending defects that should have been caught in the factory. I don't believe they do any quality control at all prior to shipping vehicles, nor does the dealer. Right now, my Versatile has been at the shop for 10 days and they cannot fix the VoltStart which has never operated at all. Prior to that it has been in the shop for several weeks. So many problems you would get bored hearing about it. $100 k down the drain. I screwed up; I trusted Roadtrek's sales claims.
What additional problems have arisen besides the Balmar failure and the non-functional Voltstart? Are you working with a Roadtrek shop or an independent?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:06 PM   #112
Platinum Member

Quote:
We had all hoped that Roadtrek had learned something from the very poor rollout and followup on the etrek when it came out several years ago, but both the rollout and the followup with lithium setups looks like it is going down the same road to ruin.

It is really too bad that people who are so looking forward to joining the rest of us on the road wind up spending all their time at the dealer or on the phone trying to get some help. I find it very, very, surprising that any of the old Roadtrek management is still there, after the all the problems that they are ultimately responsible for. Even more amazing is that they continue to mislead the customers to get sales, just as they did on the etrek when it came out.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:32 PM   #113
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We had all hoped that Roadtrek had learned something from the very poor rollout and followup on the etrek when it came out several years ago, but both the rollout and the followup with lithium setups looks like it is going down the same road to ruin.

It is really too bad that people who are so looking forward to joining the rest of us on the road wind up spending all their time at the dealer or on the phone trying to get some help. I find it very, very, surprising that any of the old Roadtrek management is still there, after the all the problems that they are ultimately responsible for. Even more amazing is that they continue to mislead the customers to get sales, just as they did on the etrek when it came out.
If Hymer executives ever see the complaints then maybe they will wise up and fire Jim and the rest of the roadtrek liars.
If they do not this is going to give Hymer a bad reputation quickly as most of the roadtreks being produced are garbage.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:41 PM   #114

Default Nice to have a shoulder to cry on

Cruising and Booster: No one likes a complainer so I will list the defects without comment. Thanks for the interest: Delivery 5 weeks later than promised in writing by Hammill, slide out table that had no "towel bar" necessary to keep it from sagging, leaking P-trap under toilet, dead chassis battery experience [B]not due[B] to lack of driving, fried Balmar regulator that ruined our only vacation in years, inoperative speakers, no support struts installed to hold open exterior doors, inadequate waste hose storage due to entire storage bin being used for lithium batteries (which we were not told would be the case) [note: I paid privately for a local repair shop to construct a space to store the hose], VoltStart never worked [vehicle is right now at Best Time RV which just merged with Erwin Hymer as their US HQ and primary service center - which involved a 5 hour round trip drive with my wife convoying to pick me up- and they can't fix it so RT is telling me I have to wait 12 more days for them to send a tech out from the factory. That makes about 5 out of 10 weeks of ownership that it has been in the shop, and unusable to me the rest of the time since so much does not operate], propane gauge installed wrong [not fit into notch, I am told] so it did not register tank level and caused anxiety thinking it might explode since it was pinned beyond full, no digital voltage meter as was shown on literature since they installed an old gauge panel despite my having bought a 2017 to be able to get the latest components, inoperative passenger window [ repaired by my excellent local Chevy dealer ], serpentine hose that chirps [ GM says they won't fix because of the add-on alternator ], broken microwave waveguide cover preventing us from using microwave at all [I purchased a replacement privately on Amazon after being unable to get the part from RT and had to cut the mica using the broken one as a template]. Hammill told us the backupcamera was mounted high up above the rear doors so the view would not be blocked by my StowAway but when the vehicle arrived it was mounted by GM at the license plate, so I personally had to pay several hundred dollars to have a Furrion installed so my wife could drive the RV, Hammill had agreed in writing to have the driver seat raised 1" as my wife is short but when it arrived they had not done that and had not even told us they were not doing it. I suspect there is more and who knows what will be revealed in the future. Are you sorry you asked (lol). I miss my Chinook Premier !!
Old 04-28-2017, 09:56 PM   #115

Default shoulder to cry on - postscript

Fairness to Roadtrek dictates that I update my post. Since posting, RT has agreed to rent me a car until my RV is repaired. That does not negate the repair problems I have itemized, but I feel it was a very reputable thing to do to minimize the inconvenience to me. I am grateful to Mac Vasin to arranging that!
Old 04-29-2017, 02:07 AM   #116
Platinum Member

Quote:
Fairness to Roadtrek dictates that I update my post. Since posting, RT has agreed to rent me a car until my RV is repaired. That does not negate the repair problems I have itemized, but I feel it was a very reputable thing to do to minimize the inconvenience to me. I am grateful to Mac Vasin to arranging that!

That is all they are doing?
Just renting you a car?
They should compensate you for all the gas and any hotel expenses you had as a result of driving back and forth.
They should compensate you for the time you wasted waiting for it to be fixed.
Do not let them off the hook for all the headache and the piece of garbage they sold you just because they agreed to rent you a car.
I would insist they take their pos back and they can keep the rental car.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #117

After reading all these comments, the whole idea seems questionable. I thought it was more to run AC overnight. If something breaks, you deal with it.

If I was in Phoenix in the Summer, leaving a dog in a closed van with a iffy AC system is not at all something I would do.
pearll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:35 PM   #118
Platinum Member

The more I read about Ecotrek problems, the more I've come to a conclusion that their fatal flaw is this whole idea of modules.

They would have been so much better off having a simple, single battery pack solution - probably sized on 800 AH would be best.

They could have simplified control, simplified monitoring, and have a single interface for the Voltstart gizmo. Trying to make it cheaper and fit in all van models has made the whole thing essentially unworkable and problematic.

If they weren't so cheap about it, they could have just bought the Victron system and put the batteries in a custom box, mounted underneath. The control screen has just about everything you need to monitor and there is an interface for external network devices such as an autostart.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:33 PM   #119
Bronze Member

Quote:
serpentine hose that chirps [ GM says they won't fix because of the add-on alternator ]
Interesting, on my 2016 210 I also have the chirping belt. Also took to Chevy dealer, got the same reaction as soon as they saw the aux alternator.

I replaced the belt with different brand (Gates -> Napa) and this reduced the chirp, but still occasionally noticeable. Now I just ignore it.
prfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:50 PM   #120
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prfleming View Post
Interesting, on my 2016 210 I also have the chirping belt. Also took to Chevy dealer, got the same reaction as soon as they saw the aux alternator.

I replaced the belt with different brand (Gates -> Napa) and this reduced the chirp, but still occasionally noticeable. Now I just ignore it.
If they didn't provide you with one, and likely Roadtrek wouldn't, you may want to get a Gates Green Stripe belt, which is a high strength, long life version. Not cheap but can be found on sale pretty often. We have one on our two high output alternator setup on our 07 Chevy. I have used those belts for years on various cars, as I keep them forever, and have never had a failure with one. The come standard on all the police and ambulance packages, along with better quality hoses.

When we got our second alternator from Nations, Adam mentioned that Roadtrek had gone to a shorter belt, but didn't give a reason why. Perhaps the chirping belts are the longer ones and not tight enough.