Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Roadtrek Inverter/Charger

Replacing my Van's house battery got me interested in reading info ref the Inverter/Charger.

The Tripp-Lite "owners manual" suggested that it is necessary to ensure that the configuration DIP switches be set to go with the type of house battery one is using (Gel Cell sealed - or - Wet Cell vented).

Being electrically challenged I had to call Optima to find out that my new Optima Blue Top was a "wet cell vented" battery.

I then had to identify the type of Inverter/Charger it is that's in my Van and compare it with the illustrations and instructions in the Tripp-Lite manual. (Did that and found the DIP switches didn't need repositioning).

NOTE: For those of you that have switched to a Gel Cell type of battery - check your owner's manual - 'cause the configuration needs changing.

Then, while reading the manual further, I discovered the "Operating Mode Switch" - it's a 3 position sliding switch that allows one to change mode/function between AUTO/CHARGE ONLY/OFF.

I won't post what each position does or doesn't do and will let you consult your manual - could be useful for those of us that use their Vans occasionally, rather than full time.
Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Roadtrek Inverter/Charger

Quote:
.......... Then, while reading the manual further, I discovered the "Operating Mode Switch" - it's a 3 position sliding switch that allows one to change mode/function between AUTO/CHARGE ONLY/OFF..............
When I had my Roadtrek I used to leave that switch in the CHARGE ONLY position. I'd move it to the AUTO position only when I needed to utilize the Tripp Lite's inverter functionality.

Later, I added a wired remote switch to control the Tripp Lite's Operating Mode Switch. See this link:

http://classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20

I mounted it near the foot of my bed and didn't even have to get out of bed after watching a late night movie to turn off the inverter!
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Inverter mode(s)

"didn't even have to get out of bed"

Now that's what I call laziness, to the nth. I would consider doing something like that - but, uh, I'm too lazy.
Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:48 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Default Re: Roadtrek Inverter/Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskyecho
............Tripp-Lite............ consult your manual........
That's good advice. It's definitely worth reading through (a few times in my case!).

To owners of Roadtreks - 2004 and newer - if you've had house battery problems, check the dip switch positions after reading that section in your manual.

If it's on AUTO and you don't have a remote switch connected then the inverter draws current from your battery even if you are not using the inverter.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote