Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2023, 02:47 AM   #1

Default Roadtrek - Inverter powers what outlet?

Hello all,
I recently purchased a 2005 RoadTrek 210 Versatile (05C210V). When I'm not connected to shore power, and inverter is on, I'm not getting power to any of the outlets. I've tested the inverter output cord with a voltmeter and I'm seeing right around 120 volts. I'm not sure where the power is going after that plug. The rig is new to me so maybe I'm not doing something right something ... Any thoughts? Does anyone know what outlet(s) are supposed to be powered by the inverter?

Thank you.
Jim
Artie210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 04:02 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Try a simple AC tester to trace AC https://www.amazon.com/Aicevoos-Non-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 10:28 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Ours is an 07 190P but Roadtrek usually has inverter power to the outlet in the kitchen and the one in the audio cabinet. It might also have one in the entry step area behind the side double doors.

There will be at least one GFCI on outlets, also, usually more and they could be tripped. Check all of them and reset them if needed.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 03:11 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Our van has a GFI outlet in the kitchen area and one on the outside of the van. In my case I had to replace one of those because it would not reset.
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 03:40 PM   #5
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie210 View Post
Hello all,
I recently purchased a 2005 RoadTrek 210 Versatile (05C210V). When I'm not connected to shore power, and inverter is on, I'm not getting power to any of the outlets. I've tested the inverter output cord with a voltmeter and I'm seeing right around 120 volts. I'm not sure where the power is going after that plug. The rig is new to me so maybe I'm not doing something right something ... Any thoughts? Does anyone know what outlet(s) are supposed to be powered by the inverter?

Thank you.
Jim
Hi Jim,

I spoke with Roadtrek years ago about my 05 Roadtrek. I was told that some had only one outlet in the media cabinet or whatever it was called - the tv will be plugged in. Others had another outlet in the kitchen area, but their records were not that detailed even by vin #.

But being new to you, who knows what a previous owner might have done.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:00 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Hey Jim - Welcome aboard from another - Jim.

If you've got a Big Box home store nearby, this tool will let you know then a few labels until you get it all figured out.

Its less than 10 bucks and worth it. Easy to read too. The simulator is nice, but you'd never know what previous owners may have re-wired. For example, mine now has all circuits run on inverter power, but there were other upgrades I did to make that happen.

Best of luck.

Cheers - Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tester.jpg (35.8 KB, 120 views)
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 05:02 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Yep ,,,the inverter plugs. We have an 08 chevy 210 pop... Our inverter hots the plugs in the kitchen ,, that is up by the coffe pot or if you don't have the coffee pot (that we NEVER use) just stand at the sink and look UNDER the cabinet to your right. Inconvenient, but its there. Also one in the media cabinet ,that the TV (again we never use,took it out)pluged into , Its on the lrft side inside the cabinet. We also have one that I think the past owner instaled on the wall at the end of the bed ,This would be the wall that is against the media Cabinet .
Why those ???? I guess it what RT thought would be the most pouplar. And,I think they did not want the inverter over loaded . Seems carzy but it is what it is,
I suppose a good electricen could hot up some of the other plug , but I'm NOT that person. but it sure would be nice if the one by the left hand twin bed in our RT would work!
Enjoy your rig
Michael
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 05:31 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomike View Post
Yep ,,,the inverter plugs. We have an 08 chevy 210 pop... Our inverter hots the plugs in the kitchen ,, that is up by the coffe pot or if you don't have the coffee pot (that we NEVER use) just stand at the sink and look UNDER the cabinet to your right. Inconvenient, but its there. Also one in the media cabinet ,that the TV (again we never use,took it out)pluged into , Its on the lrft side inside the cabinet. We also have one that I think the past owner instaled on the wall at the end of the bed ,This would be the wall that is against the media Cabinet .
Why those ???? I guess it what RT thought would be the most pouplar. And,I think they did not want the inverter over loaded . Seems carzy but it is what it is,
I suppose a good electricen could hot up some of the other plug , but I'm NOT that person. but it sure would be nice if the one by the left hand twin bed in our RT would work!
Enjoy your rig
Michael

Yep, the tiny modified sine wave inverter in the Tripplite didn't have a lot of capacity or quality of power, especially for electronics.

When I did our power upgrade, which included and 2000 watt PSW inverter/charger, I moved all the outlets to inverter powered. Our Magnum has a built in transfer switch so we didn't need one for the switchover and at the same time I removed the generator as we don't need it anymore. Now we have no transfer switch except the one in the inverter.

Inverter powered outlets probably should be GFCI because you don't have an earth ground when on inverter, so I took out all the outlet mounted ones and replaced the circuit breakers to GFCI versions as all our AC inlet power, be it shore power or inverter power now runs through the main panel. It has worked out very well for us and requires no real attention, just use.
Old 05-28-2023, 10:45 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Yep, the tiny modified sine wave inverter in the Tripplite didn't have a lot of capacity or quality of power, especially for electronics.

When I did our power upgrade, which included and 2000 watt PSW inverter/charger, I moved all the outlets to inverter powered. Our Magnum has a built in transfer switch so we didn't need one for the switchover and at the same time I removed the generator as we don't need it anymore. Now we have no transfer switch except the one in the inverter.
booster - a perfect point. And why during my phased upgrade, I too installed a larger inverter charger with a built-in auto transfer switch. It also has the "cleverness" of an automatic "Pass-Through." So, if shore power is on, it automatically provides shore power to all sockets. If shore power drops, then the inverter picks up the load.

Back to the Tripp-Lite inverter - I have read some folks have made modifications using two Tripp-Lite inverters. Would require some thought and wiring, but would effectively double the access to A/C. Just more DC required!

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 11:12 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
booster - a perfect point. And why during my phased upgrade, I too installed a larger inverter charger with a built-in auto transfer switch. It also has the "cleverness" of an automatic "Pass-Through." So, if shore power is on, it automatically provides shore power to all sockets. If shore power drops, then the inverter picks up the load.

Back to the Tripp-Lite inverter - I have read some folks have made modifications using two Tripp-Lite inverters. Would require some thought and wiring, but would effectively double the access to A/C. Just more DC required!

Cheers - Jim

Good point on the inverter/charger details. If they did the inverter/charger design well, it will have a normal transfer switch to go between inverted AC and shore AC with pass through.

It will also have a second set of contacts that will switch the neutral/ground bonding on and off. It will be unbonded when on shore power and bonded when on inverter for safety reasons.
Old 11-05-2023, 08:19 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Check out my Electrical system mods thread. I was frustrated by the limited number of outlets and the modified sine wave, low power Tripplite. The tripplite is wired directly to only a couple of outlets.

I removed the tripplite, added separate 1500/3000 watt inverter. I piggy backed a second ATS to switch between the inverter and the output of the original Shoretie/Generator ATS. I rerouted the former tripplite fed outlets to the breaker that formerly provided 110 to the tripplite. I created a new plug with local breaker to supply the new battery charger, which is fed directly from the first ATS. That makes the battery charger only operable from shore tie or generator, but not when on inverter (so battery cannot try to charge itself). I routed the output of the inverter back to feed the full 110v panel. I color coded breakers that should not be run on inverter (AC, hot water heater, fridge, microwave). Otherwise all 110v outlets are usable.

Credit goes out to Booster who provided much valuable advice and counsel.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote