Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2021, 05:05 PM   #1

Default Roadtrek No House Power

Hi Everyone,

While traveling through Utah the batteries in my Roadtrek went dead. I went to several places to try to get new ones and eventually, after the employee insisted they were a correct replacement I hooked up 2 12v batteries in series to my bus. I realized the problem pretty quickly when all the house power no longer worked. I limped into town by hooking up one 12v to start the sprinter and have found the correct 6v batteries. Unfortunately I am pretty sure I blew a fuse or broke something because the house power is still dead.

Are there any fuses I can check before taking it in for a costly repair? I have a 2013 Roadtrek Adventurous.

Thanks so much for any help!
Marys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:06 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Is it that two series connected 6v house batteries were accidentally replaced with two 12V batteries connected in series (so 24V supplied to coach instead of 12V) ?

I'd start with checking the house battery disconnect (probably Intellitec brand). Manuals with troubleshooting steps are located here: https://intellitec.com/products/#battery-disconnects
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:19 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I don't have an Adverturous, but a similar era RT on Chevy. I'll speculate and guess that RT used similar wiring schemes for the house side of the build. My batteries are controlled by an on-off switch at the main panel. The switch feeds a relay to turn the batteries on or off. I believe the relay has a couple of 10 or so amp fuses on each side of it. I think there is also a larger circuit breaker type fuse feeding from the batteries to the relay. My relay, inverter and stuff are located at the right rear of the RT, close to the batteries. You may want to find this relay to see if the fuses are blown
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:15 PM   #4

Default Figured it out?

I started tracing the wires and found what they called 80amp breakers in the wiring scheme but were basically 2 40amp fuses connected. I found one that had blown and replaced it but still no luck. I kept tracing and thought maybe the solenoid was broken but couldn't be sure so I called out a mobile tech. He predictably charged me to say it was the solenoid and that he didn't have and couldn't find the part. I found the part on Amazon and was waiting for it to arrive when the house magically came alive. I have no idea how it was raised from the dead, I just looked out the window and a light was on. Everything seems to be in working order so I guess I will just keep the spare part incase it stops working again.
Marys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:02 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marys View Post
I started tracing the wires and found what they called 80amp breakers in the wiring scheme but were basically 2 40amp fuses connected. I found one that had blown and replaced it but still no luck. I kept tracing and thought maybe the solenoid was broken but couldn't be sure so I called out a mobile tech. He predictably charged me to say it was the solenoid and that he didn't have and couldn't find the part. I found the part on Amazon and was waiting for it to arrive when the house magically came alive. I have no idea how it was raised from the dead, I just looked out the window and a light was on. Everything seems to be in working order so I guess I will just keep the spare part incase it stops working again.
Or install the new one and keep the old for a spare. Also a good plan for the serpentine belt on the engine.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:36 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marys View Post

There are usually those double breakers on both ends of the cables, especially from the engine charging so you may want to look for more of them in the same line. It is very possible for the unit to come back to life as these are auto resetting breakers. If the other was bad and current was above 40 amps the new one with it as soon as the battery charging or other loads got lower 40 amps the good one would reset and be good until the load went up again. This could happen is one breaker was bad on the other end of the cable. Or 190 Chevy had a pair one each end of the separator to battery line, one set by the separator under the hood and the other under the van at the battery tie point positive cable from the front.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:29 PM   #7

"Or 190 Chevy had a pair one each end of the separator to battery line, one set by the separator under the hood and the other under the van at the battery tie point positive cable from the front."
Help! I think I may have a similar situation but have little to no mechanical experience. Where exactly are these fuses so that I may check them?
StevieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:22 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Would probably do you well to find and check all four of the auto reset circuit breakers. Should be two under the hood and two behind the power panel near the contactor.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:14 AM   #9

Thank you. Can you be more specific about the location of these please. Not sure where to look. TY
StevieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:03 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieV View Post
Thank you. Can you be more specific about the location of these please. Not sure where to look. TY
Regarding the auto reset circuit breakers: I checked in my 1999 Dodge Roadtrek 170: I am not sure but it looks to me that there is one under the hood near the battery on the right side, inline with some wires there (not mounted). And there are two in the back near the battery disconnect relay (mounted on the wall under the passenger side back bench). That may be all of them -- the Roadtrek Electrical Simulator (http://www.metrotrekkers.org/utility/electrical.htm) shows only three (marked as "CB").

Are any other owners of vintage Dodge Roadtreks able to check and verify this?
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote