Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2019, 10:19 PM   #1

Default Roadtrek underhood generator belt shreds

While still breaking in our 2019 Roadtrek SS Agile we ran into another same vehicle owner. I never miss the chance to discuss issues with other owners. He mentioned to me he has gone through 3 underhood generator belts. Each prior one shredded (making noise prior) and needed to be replaced. He only went 3000 miles on one belt before it came apart. I crawled under his van and noticed he had some slight damage to his current belt....probably soon to fail.

Our rig has 5000 miles on it. I crawled under it and can see some very slight separation (less than half a toothpick of belt) already showing.

Has anyone else had this issue. The van came with a "spare belt" and that makes me more suspicious of the design. It looks to be an alignment issue?
My biggest worry is if the belt fails and takes out some other engine part (fan blades for example) that could be very costly...
otobepelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:43 PM   #2
Platinum Member

2nd alternators like on Ecotrek models have had some issues in lining up correctly with other pulleys. This may or may not be a problem on your particular model, but the spare belt and discussion with another Agile owner may indicate otherwise.

Get to a shop and have the belt replaced since it shows signs of unusual wear. Let them put a new one on and keep your spare. Then check it often and enjoy your travels.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:11 PM   #3
Site Team

If there is really an alignment problem (and it sounds like there is), you should get it fixed. Finding somebody who knows what they are doing may be a challenge, but it is important.

An incorrect programming of the Balmar regulator could possibly also put undue stress on the belt.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:17 PM   #4
Platinum Member

IIRC Roadtrek has issues with Sprinter belts, but I thought it was early on. Had something to do with them using their own brackets instead of the MB or Nations ones, maybe.

Checking with Nations may be a good idea, as they worked on this stuff with Roadtrek a lot.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:25 PM   #5

Default Roadtrek UHG belt alignment

Hi there,

I have a Roadtrek Adventurous and I have been through one belt and when I had the vehicle service recently by Mercedes the technician said the Auxillary belt was fraying because it was rubbing against a bolt. Unfortunately, they didn't want to touch it. I took to La Mesa RV in Phoenix and they diagnosed this issue as a misaligned generator. The technician remounted the unit and shifted the spacers to align it properly. I expect my problem is resolved. I would encourage you to have some look at the alignment and remount with proper spacers if needed.

Good luck

Bob
MiClassB17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:22 PM   #6
Platinum Member

There are known issues with the under hood generator belts. We have a 2017 Agile and had the belt changed and retentioned because it was squealing loudly. It no longer squeals and we saved the belt as a spare. My understanding is the replacement belt that comes from RT does not actually fit the UG... but I don’t know for sure. Lots of infor on the Roadtrek Owners Facebook page about this issue.

Also at the time they fixed ours the RT deal mentioned that RT provided a new special tool for dealers to properly align the belts.

If you have wear definitely take it in before it fails and I would recommend calling a local RT dealer and ask if they know how to fix them. I have heard when they break they can break water lines etc.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:41 PM   #7

I had the same problem with my 2017 Etrek XL. Roadtrek replaced the GU mount with a new design back in the summer of 2017, but it broke belts too. Roadtrek then sent my van to Nations Starter and Alternator in Cape Girardeau, MO ( 573-334-2632 ). Adam Nations put a completely new mount and pulley system on that he designed. I have had no problem since and have driven about 16,000 miles on the same belt.
mcclintock247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator belt, roadtrek generator