Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2016, 03:18 AM   #1
BBQ
Platinum Member

Default RV Solar Tutorial: Calculating Power Consumption

RV Solar Tutorial: Calculating Power Consumption

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:34 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Or you could just look at your Trimetric when you run something and not have to guess on efficiency and such, as he was running his tests on the 110v side. 155ah out of the 550 watts of solar, is on the high end and would require very good sun, as it is very close to the 30ah per 100 watts max that most of us have heard, and seen in typical RV systems. A couple cloudy days, and he will be in trouble, I think. Lost of theory and calcs, but I wouldn't take what he says as very good information, I think. Too many weak spots like checking SOC with voltage and no mention of loads being on, etc.

I think he needs to take a look at a solar calculator, like in this discussion.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f2...ator-3437.html

With this you can calculate the theoretical max output for your panels for anywhere and anytime. It is very useful to see how much you lose with location and time of day, and is a repeatable method for checking if your system is working properly.

Most of us have probably done similar power use, solar gain calculations for our systems over the years, and most of them probably have underestimated power use and over estimated solar gain.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:43 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #4
Platinum Member

He is actually pretty clueless IMO. Seattle in the winter, when solar won't keep up, just add batteries. No mention of how he is going to get even more batteries full, when the solar won't cover the use with what he has. No mention ever, that I heard, about how to make up a power deficit if you have bad sun conditions. Shore power, run the engine, ?? No addressing the very long time it takes to get batteries all the way full, which is often longer than the solar will be able to do.

And of course the best one---AGM deep cycle will last 10-12 years and everything else will last 2 years.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:00 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
He is actually pretty clueless IMO. Seattle in the winter, when solar won't keep up, just add batteries. No mention of how he is going to get even more batteries full, when the solar won't cover the use with what he has. No mention ever, that I heard, about how to make up a power deficit if you have bad sun conditions. Shore power, run the engine, ?? No addressing the very long time it takes to get batteries all the way full, which is often longer than the solar will be able to do.

And of course the best one---AGM deep cycle will last 10-12 years and everything else will last 2 years.
Just another person trying to make money on YouTube. However I do agree with his Rule #1 - "Fill the roof with as many solar panels as possible".
Old 10-30-2016, 11:09 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I just took a look at the "recommended" products, and of course all had links to sellers, so he can get a spiff. Mostly the brands you would expect to see, several tiers down the ladder in most cases.

Interesting that he recommends a battery monitor, the Magnum BMK, but doesn't seem to realize you also have to have a Magnum inverter/charger and remote before you can use the BMK. Oh well, what's an extra $2K to get your monitor to work?

Apparently, isn't aware that the Trimetric or the Victron make true standalone battery monitors, and they will be much more accurate than his voltmeter recommendation no matter how many decimal points the voltmeter has.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:52 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I was curious so I looked at his blog too. He says he only makes about $200 a month on the YouTube stuff. He makes most of his money on his medical books and product links on his blog. I'd say he is pretty much clueless when it come to understanding the technology involved in solar systems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2016, 03:55 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I was curious so I looked at his blog too. He says he only makes about $200 a month on the YouTube stuff. He makes most of his money on his medical books and product links on his blog. I'd say he is pretty much clueless when it come to understanding the technology involved in solar systems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yikes! I hope is medical knowledge and recommendations are a whole lot better than his solar knowledge