Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2016, 12:29 AM   #1

Default RV window outside shade snap replacement?

I have an RV with snaps built into the ford cab windows and windshield area that allows me to snap blackout/sun screens to cover the cab glass areas.

PROBLEM: One of the embedded snaps broke from the cab metal frame above the windshield, leaving just the little whole that the snap anchor evidently was attached through.

QUESTION: Does anyone know how to install/replace a snap (female end) to the truck's metal frame? (note: it's a snap just like on a pair of pants, or canvas bag, etc.).

For the life of me, I can't find a source /tool for replacing.
Jontona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:29 AM   #2
Platinum Member

either a self tapping screw or a pop rivet- home depot has a selection of sizes. Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:23 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Like Mike says, Home Depot usually has a selection things like this. I find them in rotating bins with drawers at the end of the aisle with the nuts, bolts screws etc.

You might be looking for the male piece of the snap though.

Did the screw break off or did the snap piece break?

Quality varies greatly with fittings like these. I'd look for a stainless steel replacement part. A marine hardware store would have them.

This photo shows two:

snap.JPG

The lower one is much better quality than the upper one. It is stainless steel so it won't rust. The upper one is chrome plated steel and would be more suited for indoor use.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:14 PM   #4

Outstanding info! I'm assuming these can be installed on the vehicle's metal door frame....and in this case, via the existing hole that the old female piece fit into. Hope they have black or dark brown to match. Thanks so much for this valuable lead.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:12 PM   #5

Boom! I didnt find snaps at Lowes, Butts ales person referred me to a specialty truck assessory shop, the kind that puts overs on truck beds, etc. They had the snaps and gave me one free. Problem solved. Appreciate everyone's input.

Tags
blackoutg, repairs, screens, shades, snaps