Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2020, 01:53 AM   #1

Default Shore power fuse location?

Hello everyone,

I am having a new problem and figured I would ask here before I take my van to the shop.

2018 roadtrek simplicity
Built on promaster 3500 chassis, single house battery and underhood generator.

I usually keep the camper plugged in to shore power, inverter on, with an ac heater plugged in. Last night our power was behaving badly from noticeably dimming to flicking completely on and of rapidly a couple times in a row.

I went out to check the camper and the house battery was completely dead even though the inverter was on and plugged in. I charged the battery with the underhood generator, checked the barn power and cable and all are good. The inverter turns on correctly but the voltage does not jump up like usual on shore power, and I can see the ac power light is not illuminated.

I checked the fuses near the inverter on the thick battery cables, and I did not see any obvious labels on the forward fuse panel. Could someone tell me if shore power input fuses exist and where they are located? Or any other advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
IdahoRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:02 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I know squat about lithium and inverters.

but

have you ascertained that the cable from your shore power has 120 volt power AND a neutral AND a ground connection

on a twist lock;

the "hot" will be a the smallest of the 3 sockets

the neutral the larger, and the ground will have the index.

test from the hot to both neutral and ground and you should have similar line voltage reading for both

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I went out to check the plug and I have 120 volts from the middle size to the ground(with the index) but nothing from the middle size to the smallest or the smallest to the ground?
Old 10-25-2020, 11:26 PM   #4
Platinum Member

That indicates that there is a problem getting shore power.

on all electrical plugs/sockets the smallest terminal is the hot, the next largest is the neutral- and the ground is always a different shape- on a twist lock the rt angle index

you may have a miswire - or the voltage you see is low current ( amps) leakage and that the breaker at your house is tripped, or there is a wiring problem

locate the breaker and reset it even if it looks in teh correct position, flip it off then back on.

return the your line and check again- if same test where your cable is plugged in- if same you may have a home wiring problem an electrician should look at
mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:11 PM   #5

There are two reset buttons on the back of the inverter (top left). I think that these may be the only fuses/breakers for AC. You may need to remove the top of the inverter cupboard to reach them or perhaps you can get your arm in there to push them. Unplug first and turn of the inverter if you are going to reach around blindly.
markoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:03 PM   #6

Thanks, I reset all the breakers and checked the cable and it's good. Im not sure if I just missed the contact with my multimeter or if the reset actually fixed something. Still no luck with the inverter. I found the two reset buttons on the back as you describe, but they dont feel like buttons. Should they push in? they feel loose like they could pop out more and they dont push in when I push them. Also after I tried to push them there was no change with the inverter.

Thanks for the help so far!