Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2015, 03:59 PM   #1

Default Shorepower/Inverter outlets?

New RT 190: Question: IF plugged into shore power; do the "outlets" throughout the RV now provide 120? Does the Inverter need to be on? I understand that boondocking with just the inverter, allows the outlet use for modest wattage appliances, but when plugged into Shore, what result and why?? Thanks in advance...Acquiring the knowledge from you folks has been a graduate course in itself...really appreciate the support.......Jbsedona.....
jbsedona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Shorepower/Inverter outlets?

On shore power all 120v outlets should be active.
On inverter power, in previous models with the Tripp lite brand inverter, the outlet in the TV cabinet was active.

Roadtrek electrical simulator here: http://www.metrotrekkers.org/utility/electrical.htm

The inverter/charger will charge the battery when plugged into shore power.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:03 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsedona
New RT 190: Question: IF plugged into shore power; do the "outlets" throughout the RV now provide 120? Does the Inverter need to be on? I understand that boondocking with just the inverter, allows the outlet use for modest wattage appliances, but when plugged into Shore, what result and why?? Thanks in advance...Acquiring the knowledge from you folks has been a graduate course in itself...really appreciate the support.......Jbsedona.....

actually it depens on what electrical package you have-if it's the standard 190 you have a 750 watt inverter that only powers entertainment system and 1 galley plug up to 750 watts.

if you have the 1/2 etrek package with extra batteies and the 2500 watt inverter all outlets and appliances are powered thru inverter

the 750 allows pass thru power when on AND offers electrical surge protection when on

the 2500 does not allow pass thru power(at least that is my understanding)
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:49 AM   #4
Platinum Member

The only consistent thing about the electrics in RT's is "it depends".

Gerry is pretty much on the money here. But it wouldn't surprise me if some rigs are set up differently. All anyone can say is try it both ways, and use what works the best. (In the case of my CS, inverter has to be ON to charge and power the 110 outlets, even if on shore power.)
Old 01-27-2015, 05:33 PM   #5
Platinum Member

if you only have the 750 watt inverter/charger-it has power protection devices already built in. so if when on if it still lets thru full 30 amp shore power which i believe it does-i would turn it on.

if your 190 lets in full shore power when not turned on than i would recommend buying a portable surge protrctor-this is redundant if inverter/chargr is on.

the 2500 watt inverter/charger 1/2 e-trek is wired to force you to turn on inverter charger when on shore power to protect electronics at least this is what i've been led to believe
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Another "it depends" answer re: built-in surge protection.

Take the 2012 190P for example. 120v 30A AC in from campground power goes to the "generator or grid" transfer switch first then to the AC panel second. (2012 190P Owner manual electrical schematic page E-9) http://www.roadtrek.com/download/1564&file_id=1562

Then on to the breakers (page E-6):

Breaker A: main 30 amp breaker (line in from transfer switch) (not surge protected)
Breaker B: Air Conditioner / Heat Pump (not surge protected)
Breaker C: Microwave oven receptacle (not surge protected)
Breaker D: Refrigerator receptacle (not surge protected)
Breaker E: Drivers side receptacles (not surge protected)
Breaker F: Inverter Charger (receptacles on the AC line from the inverter / charger would be surge protected)

The only pass-through that would have surge protection would be anything affected by Breaker F. The inverter charger gets power from Breaker F.

At least that is my understanding. Yes, the Tripp Lite offers surge protection but only on items powered by current passing through the Tripp-Lite. I can't see how that would work any other way. Power does not pass through the Tripp Lite to the AC panel. The opposite occurs. Power passes through the AC panel via Breaker F to the Tripp Lite.

Think of your residence. You could have a 200 amp main AC panel for example. Power comes into that panel and is then distributed where needed in the house. You might plug your computer into a Tripp Lite UPS battery backup power / surge device. Your computer is protected from power surge because it is plugged into the UPS battery backup power / surge device. The heat pump or refrigerator in your house is not protected by that UPS battery backup power / surge device.

To get whole house or whole RV surge protection the surge device needs to be INCORPORATED INTO or BEFORE the AC panel, not after the AC panel.

Later models might be wired differently. I don't know if there are any schematics available after 2012.

Someone could confirm this with Tripp Lite tech support if any doubt. We already know by the RT schematics for the 2012 190P that all appliances and all outlets are not powered by the Tripp Lite.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote