Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2023, 06:14 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Solar Panel brackets loose

Looking at the roof, I noticed that the flimsy brackets holding the 190W solar panel have shaken loose and the black tar stuff is splitting and does not cover them anymore.

They have always been a bit shaky, but now they're at a new level of shaky.

Not too concerned it will fly off, but I don't like the holes in the roof as any water will surely find its way in there.

So... is this normal? I assume not. Happened to anyone? Ideas how to address this (low cost, without doing a completely new installation)? And yes, I like having a solar panel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230531.jpg (191.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 06-01-2023, 12:24 AM   #2
Platinum Member

is that a thor factory install ?

quick google search showed a few posts on forums for solar brackets failing on thors
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 12:50 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
is that a thor factory install ?
Yes, totally factory Thor using a GoPower 190W panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
quick google search showed a few posts on forums for solar brackets failing on thors
Hmmm. Only found one recent one that was a different issues with the connection to the panel.

The brackets are kinda thin and flex a lot so I am not surprised.
Old 06-01-2023, 12:53 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Might want to check with Thor about loose bracket and possible repair. DIY remove the tar and see if you can tighten up the nut. If doable, reseal with Dicor self-leveling caulk.
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 01:17 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloganusda View Post
Might want to check with Thor about loose bracket and possible repair. DIY remove the tar and see if you can tighten up the nut. If doable, reseal with Dicor self-leveling caulk.
Yep, they were no help at all. I removed some of the tar and found that the brackets which hold the heavy panel during speedy driving in windy conditions are "secured" by a rather tiny nut. This resulted in the bracket wiggling loose and the whole setup becoming even wobblier.

I added some large washers to lock the brackets into place, tightened things back up, and resealed. Buying some EternaBond to finish it off and make sure it's all waterproof.

Thank you for your reply!
Old 06-02-2023, 12:04 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Glad to assist. Happy Camping.
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 08:32 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Follow up question: What is the best way to maintain that softish black tar stuff when it starts to degrade? Put more on top of itself? Cover it with EternaBond? Remove and use silicone instead?

(This is on a Promaster metal roof)
Urlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 09:21 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Hi, there
If your choice is to remove the old stuff, have a look at 3M 5200 urethane adhesive/sealer
My solar panel brackets are embedded in this product. It is a very strong adhesive and a marine grade sealer
Blueboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 09:27 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I'd uninstall those completely, then reinstall them yourself using proper techniques (stainless through-bolts, waterproof gaskets/washers and/or butyl rubber). If installed properly, no slopped-on surface tar is necessary. That tar is no excuse for a poor installation job.

If they come off at highway speed, they can become a lethal projectile.

N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 09:30 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueboy1 View Post
Hi, there
If your choice is to remove the old stuff, have a look at 3M 5200 urethane adhesive/sealer
My solar panel brackets are embedded in this product. It is a very strong adhesive and a marine grade sealer
That particular one says: [It is recommended for interiors, below the waterline and any other places that are shielded from sunlight.]
So maybe not the right candidate...
Old 06-13-2023, 09:37 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
I'd uninstall those completely, then reinstall them yourself using proper techniques (stainless through-bolts, waterproof gaskets/washers and/or butyl rubber). If installed properly, no slopped-on surface tar is necessary. That tar is no excuse for a poor installation job.
Is that maybe what it is... butyl rubber? I just called it tar out of ignorance perhaps.
Old 06-13-2023, 10:21 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Ours are held on by bolted to expanding nuts that go through the roof.

The bolts are sealed with and the rest of the bottom of the brackets attached to the roof with PL (now Loctite) urethane exterior caulking. We have had in our very sunny house for decades and it is still just fine. I usually use the concrete caulk version to get the tanish color but all the exterior PL caulks appear to be the same mixture.

They are very slow curing and can take a week or more to gain full strength and elasticity.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 11:17 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I think what is used on my roof is butyl rubber.

Question is still how to best maintain it. According to Thor one has to inspect all seals every 3 months and fix them if cracks or other degradation show. There's just not much info exactly how to do that.

I don't think whatever stuff it is it's good for the panel since the brackets flex a lot and wobble their way out of it.
Old 06-14-2023, 12:45 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post

Question is still how to best maintain it. According to Thor one has to inspect all seals every 3 months and fix them if cracks or other degradation show. There's just not much info exactly how to do that.

I don't think whatever stuff it is it's good for the panel since the brackets flex a lot and wobble their way out of it.

With all those issues going on, you probably should get them off an start from scratch. Good anchoring for the screws. Brackets that don't flex a lot and bent to fit the roof well. Make sure the roof in that area is strong enough to support the panel without flexing too much and if it is not put plates on the inside to reinforce it.

It sounds like the did a horrible job of mounting the panels and they likely are a possible hazard so should be fixed properly.

Our urethane has been on for nearly 10 years and has no cracks in it at all.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 06:05 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
Not likely butyl. Butyl is often used to water seal car windows and is designed to not harden, split or crack.

To clarify, the sealer should be under the bracket, not on top of it, or all over the roof next to the bracket - that's just sloppy waste. Using the correct sealer (like butyl tape) there is no need to pour anything on top. Sealer on top provides no benefit at all - just creates a mess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BUTYL-TAPE-20_ROLL.jpg (82.8 KB, 2 views)
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 06:13 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I actually have some of that tape! Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

I will get some stronger/larger brackets, and then scratch off the sloppy stuff and redo it all with proper butyl rubber tape.

Not a priority as I was able to tighten it up with some larger washers, so it is definitely more secure than previously. I think.