Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2019, 03:29 PM   #1

Default solar panel charging battery

New to forum.
Have a question about the solar panels charging the coach batteries on my 2018 Travato 59K.
Does the solar panel charge the coach batteries all the time even when they are turned off/disconnected with the switch?
CKTravato2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKTravato2018 View Post
New to forum.
Have a question about the solar panels charging the coach batteries on my 2018 Travato 59K.
Does the solar panel charge the coach batteries all the time even when they are turned off/disconnected with the switch?

Welcome to the forum CKTravato2018!

My guess is they do charge anytime the battery charge level calls for it (below a pre-set voltage). Regardless of your battery disconnect switch.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:48 PM   #3
Bronze Member

I know with Lithiums, they have to be on and connected for the Solar, shorepower or underhood Gen's to charge them. With AGM batteries, if you have an on/off switch they likely have to be switched on to charge as well. If no switch they likely charge automatically.
rboegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:51 PM   #4
Bronze Member

The other point is even on sunny day, if you are using any power (lights Fridge...), the solar systems typically can't keep up with usage, but it will slow the dis-charging process
rboegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:21 PM   #5
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKTravato2018 View Post
New to forum.
I have a 2017 Travato 59K. The solar panel charges the house batteries even if the battery on/off switch is set to off. It does a great job of keeping the batteries fully charged when I am not using the RV.
gk&hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:10 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk&hc View Post
I have a 2017 Travato 59K. The solar panel charges the house batteries even if the battery on/off switch is set to off. It does a great job of keeping the batteries fully charged when I am not using the RV.
That's how my CrossFit is wired. The solar is always connected to the coach batteries. The battery disconnect switch disconnects the coach load, not any of the charge sources (solar, converter, or alternator).
@Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:20 PM   #7

Default to all thanks

thanks for the replies to my post about the solar panels charging the batteries on my Travato
cktravato2018
CKTravato2018 is offline   Reply With Quote