Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2019, 11:35 AM   #1

Default ???Solar panel wiring location on Simplicity SRT???

Reaching out to all who have added solar panels to their Simplicity SRT. Im trying to figure out the best location to route the wires to/from or behind what? Any input and pics are welcome.

FYI, I currently have no solar and only the stock 100AH AGM. I am planning on adding another 100AH AGM, or replace the original to 2 new AGM's or one LiFePo4 100Ah

Thanks in advance.
mbsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #2
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsurfer View Post
Reaching out to all who have added solar panels to their Simplicity SRT. Im trying to figure out the best location to route the wires to/from or behind what? Any input and pics are welcome.

FYI, I currently have no solar and only the stock 100AH AGM. I am planning on adding another 100AH AGM, or replace the original to 2 new AGM's or one LiFePo4 100Ah

Thanks in advance.
I ran mine in through the small light on the left side of the back top. I removed the light and pushed the wires inside under the light and calked the wires. I then pulled the wall panel off under the left side (drivers) around the window, it was very easy. Then down into the inverter compartment, where I put the controller and hooked to the battery cables.
larrylwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:34 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Some installation tricks

On some class B conversions, sometimes the easiest place to connect to the battery is right at the fuse panel. You can backfeed a solar controller through an unused fuse, which accomplishes two things: 1) It's easier to get to from inside the vehicle. 2) it provides the necessary inline fuse. 3) It already has a large gauge wire going from the fuse panel to the battery.

Just don't make the mistake of placing the solar charge controller too far from the fuse block or battery. The controller needs to know the battery voltage, and any voltage drop on the wire effectively subtracts from the voltage the controller puts out getting to the battery. Either put the charge controller very close to the battery, or use large gauge wire (6 AWG or better).

Another trick I've used on fiberglass tops, since they are already an insulator, is to cut the wires from the solar panels where they're going through the roof, crimp ring terminals to the ends, and reconnect them with a stainless steel bolt. I apply a sealant before tightening the bolt and it's a mechanically strong and water tight connection.
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylwill View Post
I ran mine in through the small light on the left side of the back top. I removed the light and pushed the wires inside under the light and calked the wires. I then pulled the wall panel off under the left side (drivers) around the window, it was very easy. Then down into the inverter compartment, where I put the controller and hooked to the battery cables.
Do you have a picture of the light where you ran the wires through? Did you replace the light?
mbsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote