Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2023, 02:26 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Starlink flatmount FYI

I’m going to flat mount a rectangular Starlink to my Roadtrek.

The flat mount comes from star-mountsystems.com and the mounting brackets to tape mount it to the roof come from AM Solar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 433E1420-D50F-469D-A4F1-023B4AF417B7.jpg (206.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 73BCD34A-7A3C-42F4-BE34-60A799BFD317.jpg (138.0 KB, 11 views)
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 12:02 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
I’m going to flat mount a rectangular Starlink to my Roadtrek.

The flat mount comes from star-mountsystems.com and the mounting brackets to tape mount it to the roof come from AM Solar.
Are you planning on drilling holes? AM solar has some adhesive products used for mounting brackets for solar panels. This stuff is suppose to bond as well as mechanical bonding without potential leak spots?

Only issue, maybe have to camp in non shaded areas to get a clear shot at sky. Meaning the van will be hotter inside. Sometimes a portable mount allows one to camp in shade and put receivers out in the sun?
Old 02-16-2023, 01:51 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Shouldn't tape things down on a rooftop - use mechanical fasteners. Search for videos of what it looks like when panels fly off a roof at 60 MPH. These panels suddenly become lethal projectiles for anyone behind you.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 03:58 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
Shouldn't tape things down on a rooftop - use mechanical fasteners. Search for videos of what it looks like when panels fly off a roof at 60 MPH. These panels suddenly become lethal projectiles for anyone behind you.
I have mixed feelings about this. What you say is 100% true.
OTOH, when properly applied, some of the modern adhesives are truly remarkable. Windows on glass-clad skyscrapers are often held 100% with adhesives. The problem, of course is the "properly applied" part...

One possible approach is to use adhesives, but to add a mechanical tether as a backup. Having your antenna flap around on your roof would be a better outcome than it flying off into traffic.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 04:29 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Yep, don’t get your panties in a twist. The solar panel in the background has been tape mounted for 11 years. Still there and not going anywhere.

Need to put a wind blocking panel in front of it, lower it a bit, and put a safety cable on it. Final location will be further aft on the other side. I posted to show the adaptability of the AM solar clamps for anyone interested. They appear to be perfect and can be doubled to increase the tape area.

No, you cannot park under trees. I have the round dish I mount on the roof of a class C when stopped and haven’t used the extension cable ever. Perfect for a parking lot or rest area stop. Open areas are available in the back country which is my usual overnight location.
Old 02-17-2023, 02:17 AM   #6
Platinum Member

The Wineguard Automatic TV antenna in the background is also mounted by tape with Eternabond tape over the mounting areas. Been there several years tho removed and reapplied after painting the roof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57F61D64-A082-4337-872A-BE1AD2C2E72C.jpg (206.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 02-18-2023, 02:34 AM   #7
Silver Member

I would like to mount a Husky Parsec on my roof and put the cables down the unused bathroom exhaust fan. Hmmm.
tarp is offline   Reply With Quote