Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2021, 06:02 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Astronomer Johnathon McDowell:

" It's been raining Starlinks again lately: Starlink 2199 and 2203 reentered on Dec 17; Starlink 1023, 1051, 1943, 2311 and 2259 reentered on Dec 20. Total of 12 Starlink reentries so far this month; 1799 Starlinks currently in orbit."

without comment

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:04 AM   #22
Platinum Member

This link shows 135 not working. On the good side the numbers of working satellites are increasing.

Somehow I hope they make this profitable.

https://satellitemap.space/
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 04:47 PM   #23
Platinum Member

I wouldn't bet against Elon getting Starship figured out (maybe in a couple of years) and the same for improving longevity of Starlink sattelites. His goal is deep space travel to Mars and global internet service is a cash cow (once the intense initial investment is made) that will finance his Mars goal. SpaceX has already delivered more cargo to orbit than all other previous missions combined if heard that right. Starship will bring a huge increase.

I can't wait to drive the 140 miles to witness a Starship launch from Boca Chica (aka Starbase). I'm sure they'll close roads for many miles around, but something that big will still be easy to see from a great distance.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 01:19 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Copied from Quora.

Profile photo for Steve Baker
Steve Baker
Blogger at LetsRunWithIt.com (2013–present)Dec 1

Does SpaceX really risk bankruptcy with the Raptor crisis or is Elon Musk being over dramatic?
Originally Answered: Does SpaceX really risk bankruptcy with the raptor crisis or is Elon Musk being over dramatic (https://spaceexplored.com/2021/11/29...ptor-crisis/)?
I think it would be a very long/slow death for the company - and it would be somewhat avoidable - but I don’t think Elon is exaggerating much.

SpaceX are spending a TON of money on the StarShip program - and have commitments to NASA and to the #DearMoon project to complete it…and (of course) Elon Musk is determined to start a Mars colony.

The money to pay for that cannot come from SpaceX’s Falcon-9/Heavy launch profits…there simply isn’t enough money to cover the eye-watering costs of this rapid pace of development.

Hence the StarLink (satellite internet) service is an essential part of StarShip development…it’s “a license to print money”…but that money is what pays to get to Mars.

STARLINK - THE CASH COW:

However, StarLink is at a crisis point. They’ve launched enough Mk 1 satellites (aboard Falcon-9’s) to prove that it’ll work and to get enough customers to show that there is interest in it.

However, Mk 1’s can only talk to ground stations - so if you live someplace under the flight path of the Mk 1 satellites - and you want to (say) visit Quora.com then you send a request to the nearest satellite which has to relay that message to a ground station which sends the message off to download Quora’s front page. When the response comes back, it has to go to the ground station which then sends the data up to the satellite - which then relays it back to your dish.

But for this to work, the satellite has to be able to “see” both your StarLink dish AND the ground station. Although the satellite is 350 miles up above the Earth, it can only see ground stations within a couple of hundred miles.

This means that SpaceX have to build a massive number of ground stations - which is expensive - and if you live too far from a ground station, you can’t buy service.

THE MK II STARLINK:

However, all of this messing around with ground stations is NOT the long-term plan.

Enter the Mk II StarLink satellite.

This version is larger and heavier than the MK I and has equipment on board to send and receive data from other MK II’s via a laser link.

So now - no matter where you live - you send a message to the nearest satellite - it figures out which other satellite is closest to Quora headquarters - and sends the message from one satellite to the next until it reaches the right place and THEN sends the message to the ground station.

This means that SpaceX don’t need many ground stations - in fact, just one ground station could (theoretically) service the entire world.

But the snag here is that while you can fit 60 Mk I StarLinks into a Falcon-9, you can’t get anywhere near that number of the larger/heavier Mk II’s.

This means that SpaceX can’t get ahead on StarLink without having StarShip working.

StarShip could probably launch 400 StarLink’s at a time (!!) - so the Mk II network could be launched amazingly quickly - and much money earned.

CHICKEN AND EGG SITUATIONS:

So SpaceX are in a bind.

To get StarLink to full profitability, they need to be able to launch StarShip to orbit - and to get to the 12,000 satellites they need - they’ll need 30 StarShip launches to orbit.
But to get StarShip launching on a regular basis, they need a ton of money…which means that they need StarLink to be earning money.
Elon Musk isn’t stupid - he has a degree in economics - so I’m quite sure he figured this out…get JUST enough money from StarLink to pay for JUST a couple of StarShip launches…which earns more StarLink money…which pays for more StarShips.

However, THREE simultaneous problems are biting him:

The FAA decided to do a major audit of the SpaceX facility in Boca Chica - which has tossed a wrench into the StarShip testing program. They’ve been refusing to grant launch permits for many months now.
The “chip shortage” has limited the number of StarLink dishes that can be made - and for some customers (myself included) the shipping date for the dish has slipped an entire YEAR.
Evidently, something very bad has been happening at the SpaceX Raptor rocket motor factory. We’re not sure what it is - but it resulted in several senior managers being fired - and accusations that they were hiding production problems from Elon. (HINT: DO NOT PISS OFF ELON!).
THE PERFECT STORM:

A shortage of rocket motors when doing sub-orbital testing of StarShip wasn’t too serious.

They could test launch with just three of the six motors on StarShip (because three of them are “vacuum optimised” and not needed at low altitudes).

But now they are ready for orbital testing, they’ll need 28 motors for the SuperHeavy and all 6 motors for the StarShip.

And until they manage to stick a landing with SuperHeavy - they’re going to waste all of those engines with every single test flight.

This wouldn’t have been so bad because even if they couldn’t stick a landing (which is the hard part) - just getting a StarShip up to orbital speed would be enough to allow each test flight to launch hundreds of Mk II StarLinks - more than enough to pay for the destruction of another StarShip+Superheavy.

But to do that, the planned manufacturing rate of Raptor engines was supposed to reach one engine per day…allowing them to do a test launch (with 400 MkII StarLinks) about once a month until they became able to re-use SuperHeavy.

With SuperHeavy sticking it’s landings, StarShip could fly once a week - even if it couldn’t land.

But until they can get the complicated “capture” landing system working, any slowdown in rocket motor production will have a direct impact on StarShip orbital flights.

Add to this the enforced delay from the FAA - and things start to look very bad for SpaceX.

SO WOULD THIS AMOUNT TO “BANKRUPTCY”?

I don’t think it would be THAT bad.

If Raptor engine production failed - and StarShip failed - and StarLink (Mk II) didn’t get completed - the “core business” of SpaceX is still in it’s Falcon-9/Heavy launches.

So they could possibly kill StarShip - not do more than modest ground station growth with Mk I StarLinks - and make enough money to weather the storm.

CONCLUSION:

From Elon Musk’s perspective - this is **DEATH** to the goals of SpaceX (to become a multiplanetary species).

But from the perspective of the rest of the world, the market for Falcon-9 launches will keep the company afloat - and SpaceX is STILL the biggest launch company in all of history.

So we can only hope that he can figure out the problems with the Raptor factory - and that the FAA get their act together and start licensing launches.

But without understanding precisely WHAT is going on with Raptor engine manufacturing and WHY the management at the factory were (allegedly) covering it up…it’s very hard to make predictions.
48.4K viewsView 724 upvotesView 3 sharesAnswer requested by
Logan Greger
Old 12-30-2021, 09:46 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Starlink installation complete on the class C. The mount still needs to be VHB taped to the roof. Will post a picture of the antenna in action when it happens.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:20 AM   #26
Bronze Member

Looks very promising.

I can really see a value in this setup, especially as it goes through the usual improvements.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:49 AM   #27
Platinum Member

More Starlink set backs

these kind of factors come as a surprise to me

SpaceX: "the satellites deployed on Thursday were significantly impacted by a geomagnetic storm on Friday... up to 40 of the satellites will reenter or already have reentered the Earth’s atmosphere."

mike
Old 02-09-2022, 01:21 AM   #28
Platinum Member

article explaining how these were re-designed to burn up completely:

https://spectrum.ieee.org/amp/spacex...sks-2650278254

mike
Old 02-09-2022, 04:55 AM   #29
Platinum Member

Ellie In Space said location restrictions were coming off in a month or so. Hope she is correct.

Not much of an issue on this forum as Starlink ownership seems to be very low.

Class Bs are more mobile and less likely to make the space for the Starlink antenna so we don’t have much participation.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:35 PM   #30
Platinum Member

For those of you that can understand the Starlink business plan.

https://app.tegus.co/guest/view/8Y24...vJc9sXrnrtUbF9
Old 02-14-2022, 10:44 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Starlink users are now reporting the ability to roam! Will verify personally in late May but for now it is good news.
Old 02-15-2022, 02:11 AM   #32
Platinum Member

I wonder how WiFi will progress as a need. I am using streaming apps more and more and have too much to watch as it is just with Peacock this week with the Olympics and the Super Bowl let alone series and movies. I have Netflix, PBS, Hulu, and Amazon Prime as well. All that is on 4G and our next round will be all 5G service. As it is, most campground WiFi provided sucks and is not as good as 4G cellular. When really boondocking in wilderness areas we tend live and spend time with outdoor pursuits and 4G and WiFi diminishes considerably especially in the long days of summer, spring and fall. This winter sunset right now is 6:20 PM here in South Padre Island, TX. We also have a Winegard Rayzar automatic dome antenna to pick up local over the air TV and cable hookups wirelessly with an internal WiFi network to play on our iPhones, and iPads. We haven’t bothered with that yet other than to test at home. In a small van with AirPods my wife and I can watch anything we please and don’t have to agree what to watch.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:42 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I have Netflix, PBS, Hulu, and Amazon Prime as well. All that is on 4G and our next round will be all 5G service. As it is, most campground WiFi provided sucks and is not as good as 4G cellular. When really boondocking in wilderness areas we tend live and spend time with outdoor pursuits and 4G and WiFi diminishes considerably especially in the long days of summer, spring and fall.
Better get ready. When this works anywhere, anytime, you will have it with the rest of us. The line may be pretty long by then.

It has to become profitable and that is not guaranteed. If it does not then we will all be back on broadband.
Old 02-20-2022, 02:17 AM   #34
Platinum Member

Just an FYI,
More and more Starlink customers are reporting the ability to roam with looser location restrictions.

I won’t have personal experience with that till June.

Still no word on a permanently mounted mobile antenna. RVs are using the one meant for stationary structure mounting and removing it for travel. They have a roof mount that makes it easy to do.
Old 02-20-2022, 02:57 PM   #35
Platinum Member

in the late 90's our RocknRoll tour buses started getting directv

the dish mounted on plywood in the bay and when parking it'd be placed on the ground and kicked around with help of a compass and someone watching the signal meter inside yelling out the window

that got better and so should this

if starlink is imposing geographic restrictions, that's nonsensical

I'm sure it'll be better incrementally

and I hope so, many of the areas we prefer for camping are "off grid"-
which is nice until there is smoke and water dropping helicopters
and we are not sure which way to go
( our experience in July)

mike
Old 02-20-2022, 03:05 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
Not sure it was nonsensical. I think it is/was a short-term technical limitation. Seems to have to do with their internal routing algorithms, by which resources get allocated to your particular connection (which is constantly changing). I think they just need time to make it more sophisticated, and they will lift the simplifying restrictions.

The next generation of their constellation is going to used laser-based relaying from satellite-to-satellite, which will greatly reduce the need to be near a base station. That will be even more complex.
Quote:
I'm sure it'll be better incrementally

and I hope so, many of the areas we prefer for camping are "off grid"-
Yeah. I have been watching all this eagerly. I AM a bit worried about how well it will work in wooded areas, which we seek out. It will get better over time as the number of satellites increases (because it will allow the base stations to get by with a smaller patch of clear sky). The question is how good it will get. I guess eventually it should be at least as good as SiriusXM, which also uses LEO satellites.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 04:58 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
Nope. They had good, valid reasons for location restrictions, not that I can explain them.

We, the mobile community, are jumping the gun a bit. We are not their priority but they are beginning to cater to us.

Things should improve for us over the summer as we move antennas around. The truly mobile antenna is yet to come.

Astronomers are still a bit uptight about all the satellites. Satellite reflectivity is being dealt with but radio frequency, non visible, interference is still a problem, I think, and there are two similar constellations yet to come.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:05 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Nope. They had good, valid reasons for location restrictions, not that I can explain them.

We, the mobile community, are jumping the gun a bit. We are not their priority but they are beginning to cater to us.

Things should improve for us over the summer as we move antennas around. The truly mobile antenna is yet to come.

Astronomers are still a bit uptight about all the satellites. Satellite reflectivity is being dealt with but radio frequency, non visible, interference is still a problem, I think, and there are two similar constellations yet to come.
Thanks for keeping us updated. I am interested when they get more of the kinks worked out being mobile( setting up in different locations seamlessly).
Old 02-23-2022, 04:50 AM   #39
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Just an FYI,
More and more Starlink customers are reporting the ability to roam with looser location restrictions.

I won’t have personal experience with that till June.

Still no word on a permanently mounted mobile antenna. RVs are using the one meant for stationary structure mounting and removing it for travel. They have a roof mount that makes it easy to do.
That is fantastic news. At $100/ month I would definitely go that direction. There are so many places in the west without cell phone coverage.
Old 03-13-2022, 10:41 PM   #40
Platinum Member

More and more users reporting the ability to roam. One person removed the motors from his round dish, mounted it flat on the roof and reports usability while driving.

Still no first hand experience.