Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2020, 01:34 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default steady charge and voltage;or charge, use and then recharge

Greetings;

This group was very helpful to me when we were turning a plain white Sprinter into a pretty good RV. Solar, Lithionics batts, xantrex inverter/converter, Adams secondary alternator, inductive stovetop, novakool fridge, bulkheads and cabinet skins are Starboard HDPE, air shocks rear axle, lifts on front, etc.

So, here's my next question. I've read a number of articles about the lithium batts; and we have a pretty good routine for driving, charging, and boondocking. But we've recently moved to the PNW and are using the van for temporary housing while we build. We're plugged into electricity 24/7. Is it better to just leave the charger on and have a steady 13.4 VDC or to charge the batts, harvest the solar as available (PNW!) and then charge them when they get in the low 12s?

This is the best place I know to ask this question; and the literature I've read doesn't specifically address this situation. Thanks guys.

tex4judy
tex4judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex4judy View Post
Greetings;

This group was very helpful to me when we were turning a plain white Sprinter into a pretty good RV. Solar, Lithionics batts, xantrex inverter/converter, Adams secondary alternator, inductive stovetop, novakool fridge, bulkheads and cabinet skins are Starboard HDPE, air shocks rear axle, lifts on front, etc.

So, here's my next question. I've read a number of articles about the lithium batts; and we have a pretty good routine for driving, charging, and boondocking. But we've recently moved to the PNW and are using the van for temporary housing while we build. We're plugged into electricity 24/7. Is it better to just leave the charger on and have a steady 13.4 VDC or to charge the batts, harvest the solar as available (PNW!) and then charge them when they get in the low 12s?

This is the best place I know to ask this question; and the literature I've read doesn't specifically address this situation. Thanks guys.

tex4judy
While some say lithium batteries prefer to recharge between 50% to 90% rather that be kept at a constant full charge, do not let them go below 13 volts. They are basically depleted in the low 12 volts.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Setting the charger at 13.0V to 13.2V would probably be best while living in the van and plugged into grid power. That would keep them at approximately 30% to 50% SOC - just my opinion.

A steady 13.4V would maintain a high state of charge. Several sites say that 13.4V is OK as a float voltage for LFP batteries though.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote