Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2020, 05:04 PM   #1

Default Storing your RV with a cover - is that a problem for solar panels?

Hello all! I'm looking at buying a Pleasure Way Lexor that has a solar package. I'm currently trying to figure out storage options, as we live in a downtown condo, and it's too tall to fit in our underground.

I'm wondering if there's any issue with getting a cloth RV cover and storing it with the solar panels covered up?

Also wondering if there is anything I should be aware of regarding storage - how often should it be driven in order to keep the engine working well, that sort of thing.

Also, totally not electrical related, but how do you deal with parking a non winterized rv during cold weather? Do you make sure the water lines are empty, or have you added some sort of insulation to the undercarriage?
Andra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:33 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Just common sense, really. If you cover the solar panels they won't produce electricity and don't park a non winterized RV where temps will remain below freezing. I always winterize mine. It takes no time and since I park along side my house, I cover it and plug it in.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:35 PM   #3

what does winterizing entail?

Unfortunately plugging it in isn't an option. We're looking at a secured storage lot.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:39 PM   #4
Platinum Member

This should be covered in detail, specific to your model, in the manual that came with the unit or by downloading a pdf.

Again, what steps are specific to your vehicle & not general answers.

Then there is battery storage details, etc.

Expect to be a little overwhelmed at the process the first time but detail counts.

Welcome to being an RV Owner, much different than the Sales Presentation but do it right each time & you will be rewarded with years of enjoyment...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:46 PM   #5

Thanks! I guess i'm just trying to get a sense of what i'm in for before committing to buying.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:04 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Don't let us encourage or dissuade you.

I live full time in an RV & its the ultimate commitment to a lifestyle.

And you are not married to th a t singularity.

If you want to enjoy your ownership, there are steps you must follow.

Things like Batteries - well maintained they are a blessing, poorly maintained they are an expensive start to each season.

Its not just a House on Wheels, its a House on Wheels that also moves at speed & can transport you almost everywhere.

Pleasureway is a solid manufacturer, what year & base vehicle?
Old 07-10-2020, 07:38 PM   #7

We're looking at two options. There's a 2017 chassis, 2018 year ex-rental stock, around 70K, and a 2019 chassis, 2020 year new. We're leaning towards the new because of the warrantee and possible depreciation if we decide to sell in a few years.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:04 PM   #8
Platinum Member

70,000 k on a rental is easily 140,000 k on a one owner, well maintained vehicle.

There is a reason why such vehicles get released at 50, 60 or 70k & the 3 year mark.

Notwithstanding the focused maintenance by the fleet management to keep them in rental inventory rotation.

What is the price differential between the two?

What condition visually is the rental in?

What warranty is supplied with the Rental?

If the Warranty is all encompassing & is underwritten by them & not an insurance company & the price difference is substantial, its a more difficult choice.

Do you jave an honest & impartial RV Mechanical Expert who can check the vehicle out before you buy looking for repairs to the roof & body including water intrusion, mold, etc, possible damage to the flooring from overflowing sinks, showers, toilets.

Renters go through the biggest learning curves & in 70,000 k they hit a lot of overhanging trees, fast food signs, parking lot entrances.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:13 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andra View Post
Hello all! I'm looking at buying a Pleasure Way Lexor that has a solar package. I'm currently trying to figure out storage options, as we live in a downtown condo, and it's too tall to fit in our underground.

I'm wondering if there's any issue with getting a cloth RV cover and storing it with the solar panels covered up?

Also wondering if there is anything I should be aware of regarding storage - how often should it be driven in order to keep the engine working well, that sort of thing.

Also, totally not electrical related, but how do you deal with parking a non winterized rv during cold weather? Do you make sure the water lines are empty, or have you added some sort of insulation to the undercarriage?
Why cover it at all? There is plenty of evidence that covering it will damage the paint more than just leaving it uncovered. I've left mine in my driveway or on the street for eight years now and it looks no worse for wear. Having it exposed to the sun should also keep the batteries fully charged. I use mine as a second vehicle when not traveling so it gets driven at least once a week.

Good luck with your choice. My Sprinter is my third van - I cant imagine being without a van for travel and the general utility to hual stuff when needed.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:03 PM   #10
Silver Member

I’m with Boxster1971. I wish I had inside storage but I don’t so mine stays outside most of the year. It gets waxed a couple times a year to protect the exterior finish.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:24 PM   #11
Site Team

Yep, you are far better off leaving the rig uncovered, for the reasons Boxter stated. I don't even wax the exterior. Modern automotive finishes are incredible. I have been following this advice for 15 years and two rigs now, without issues. The only exception to this is that sunlight is hard on the interior. Just close all your shades and you will be fine.

On another of your questions:
There is no reason to "exercise" your van when it is in storage. Far better to just let it sleep. If for some reason you DO start it, though, it is very important to get it up to full operating temperature. With a diesel, this means at least a 20 minute drive under load. Every time you start the vehicle, moisture gets sucked into the engine. If you don't burn it off, it will condense inside the engine, which is not at all good.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:53 PM   #12

Default Lexor TS - Winterize and De-winterizing

Like yourself, we will be new owners of a Lexor TS (201 and have been doing a lot of reading and research.

I came across these two blog posting from another Lexor TS owner, that you may find helpful

Winterizing - 2018 Lexor TS - https://www.svintuition.com/2018/12/...-lexor-ts.html

De-winterizing - 2018 Lexor TS
https://www.svintuition.com/2019/04/...-lexor-ts.html
RMLetstryrving is offline   Reply With Quote