Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2022, 05:09 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Sure power won’t charge batteries

Hi

—Solved—

My coach batteries won’t charge when the van is connected to show power. The microwave light comes on when I connect to shore power as usual.
The batteries do seem to charge when driving.

Everything seems to be plugged in at the inverter which I’ve had problems with in the past. The test light lights up when I touch the main power cable to the inverter. The test light lights up when I touch either side of the round device above and to the left of the inverter (Second to last picture ). Both of that devices fuses are intact.
The inverter is switched to auto. There is also a off and a charge only position.

The fuses in the main, roadtrek fuse panel are intact. The breakers are all in the on position.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Eric
MagicBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:16 PM   #2
Platinum Member

is your "Output CB" circuit breaker tripped ?
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:28 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Hey

I’m afraid I don’t know what that is. I’m more of a nuts and bolts parts changer, very low electrical knowledge.

There is a black button and a white button on the big white inverter box. I’ve tried pressing both of those.

All of the main breakers in the fuse panel seem to be intact and in the on position. Should I pull those out and test them and some way?
2014 Camry hybrid-soulless transport appliance
Old 09-22-2022, 05:38 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Do the 110v outlet work when you are on shore power. If they do, then it will be wiring or breaker issues, perhaps the charger. If they don't, look for the transfer switch or a breaker that runs the shore power cord in the building it is plugged in to.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:19 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Fixed it!

I “fixed” it.

Yet another unforced error on my part. My van must say to its self as I approach it with tools: “OMG, what’s this knucklehead going to screw up now?!”

The other day I tried to connect my big vacuum cleaner up to the outlet at the side doors but it wouldn’t work.
I thought I might’ve blown a fuse or breaker so I pushed the reset button on the GFCI outlet and thought it reset. I did not check that outlet after resetting it and used an extension cord from the house instead to use the vacuum cleaner.
And retracing my steps over the past couple days I remember the vacuum cleaner incident and checked that outlet again. This time when I pushed the outlet reset button it took and my outlets and shore charging work again.

Maybe someone can learn something from my foolish misstep.

Thank you Mike and Booster for your quick responses.

Now I’m going back to my Miata where I pinched an injector wire during a swap. You see a pattern here?

Eric