Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2021, 06:54 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default temp sensor for controller

A couple of questions for the pros.

I'm running two 12v 105 a/h Lead Acid batteries in parallel on my 2003 Roadtek 170P.

I will be installing one 100 watt solar panel and one 10Amp Epever controller 1210AN.

Do i really need a temperature sensor for the batteries.? I have one battery in the original battery compartment behind the real wheel and I've added another battery where the genny use to be.

Is there a way to monitor both battery temperatures or which one should I use? Connect to the ground post or tape to the side of the battery itself?

thank you
ovsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 10:15 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovsa View Post
A couple of questions for the pros.

I'm running two 12v 105 a/h Lead Acid batteries in parallel on my 2003 Roadtek 170P.

I will be installing one 100 watt solar panel and one 10Amp Epever controller 1210AN.

Do i really need a temperature sensor for the batteries.? I have one battery in the original battery compartment behind the real wheel and I've added another battery where the genny use to be.

Is there a way to monitor both battery temperatures or which one should I use? Connect to the ground post or tape to the side of the battery itself?

thank you

Both of those batteries are in hot areas of the van. The one behind the rear wheels is right over the exhaust, at least if it is a Chevy, and the one where the genny was is right behind the hot rear axle.

We have had batteries in both places on our 07 190P and my guess is that the one underneath will probably be hotter, but probably pretty close to the same. I would take it out for a ride down the freeway in hot weather and then use a cheap infrared thermometer to check the temps of them to compare.

The temp sensors come both ways depending on the manufacturer. The post mounts are really only for 3/8" bolt connection though so if you don't have combination mounts that have that connection you would need the stick on type that come with stick on tape already on them.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:13 AM   #3
Silver Member

thanks.. i do have the threaded connection on my batteries but i was just wondering which way would give a better reading,: posts or battery side.
Also wondering if the temp sensor in my application would really make a difference in controller output. I've read mixed reviews.

thanks again
ovsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:24 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovsa View Post
thanks.. i do have the threaded connection on my batteries but i was just wondering which way would give a better reading,: posts or battery side.
Also wondering if the temp sensor in my application would really make a difference in controller output. I've read mixed reviews.

thanks again

Temp sensors read the battery temp so that they can adjust the charge voltage because the battery manufacturers want lower voltage at higher temperatures and higher voltage at colder temps than about 77*F. It has all to do with battery charge quality and battery life, and not intended to have significant affect on controller output.

IMO, a temp sensor is a very good idea, and both ways will work fine, but you probably will find that the stick on ones are more likely to fall off and need to be restuck, plus they make it hard to take out the battery. The post mounts are better in those ways.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:27 AM   #5
Site Team

I have heard the the post-mount ones are better because there is a metallic path into the core of the battery which conducts heat well, whereas the plastic case insulates.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote