Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2021, 02:06 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Themexicandoctor - We sold our pop-top camper van and bought a Promaster-based "B+". After the purchase I installed 340W of solar, 200AH of heated LiFEPO4 battery capacity, and a 2kW Xantrex inverter/charger. We just plug the CPAP into an outlet and use it like we would at home now.

The van had no solar, lead-acid batteries, and a compressor fridge, which meant we had to plan our power budget pretty carefully if we were staying somewhere for a few days. This is much less of an issue with our current setup.
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:09 PM   #22
Platinum Member

I don't think you will need a pure sine wave unit for the CPAP. The transformer will convert it to DC anyway and clean up the noise from the inverter in the process.

Of course it never hurts to have a pure sine wave unit to be on the safe side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
Thank you.

I looked at the link & noticed it was not a PURE SINE WAVE unit - click on a more expensive one that was rated higher by the same company;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07KQ...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

*have you had any issues with using the modified sine wave versus the pure?

Question; since there us a difference in size & output between the two Bestek units, would my using the bigger unit mean more ahs draw or not?

Question; would bypassing the existing DC Cigarette lighter output which I have wired to the Battery somehow (I didn't do it, paid someone), would it be more efficient to hardwire either of these two systems below (permanent clamps* or alligator clamps), and then attach my Cigarette lighter to the Bestek that way?

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GC018-Ad...0G8WLW2Y&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GC017-Ad...0G8WLX78&psc=1

*permanent seems most likely for me
Old 10-25-2021, 04:15 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobmwbiker View Post
Well, yes and no. I use the unit (with the 12vdc converter) nightly as a UPS in the house, then take it with me when we travel.

My Travato is a bit older and only has 1 lead acid battery, we don't use it enough to justify upgrading the coach to a couple lithiums.

I have tested it a couple of times in the house by disconnecting it from the 120vac house outlet. With heated hose and humidifier both on auto it uses 44% for approximately 8 hours, so it would last 2 nights without being charged. As others have said, turning off the heated bits will provide substantially more run time, or just charge it every day. In the house I leave it plugged in, in the RV on shore power same thing. We on "boondock" in truck stops, walmarts, etc. for a night at at time on our way to a destination. We keep it charged while driving by using the 12vdc Jackery charging cable.
Great info - adding my Solar because I don't necessarily drive enough everyday & have the DC Fridge (and soon the CPAP), has been a Lifesaver for me or like you, the Jackery would be the next step.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:20 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegw2 View Post
I don't think you will need a pure sine wave unit for the CPAP. The transformer will convert it to DC anyway and clean up the noise from the inverter in the process.

Of course it never hurts to have a pure sine wave unit to be on the safe side.
Thank you, I was thinking that I would not actually be using my Magnum Inverter but something like the "mini inverter/converter type" that you are suggesting.

Is that what you are suggesting, using the Mini type versus our big oem/inverter chargers?

I cannot wait to start using this.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 10-25-2021, 04:34 PM   #25

Quote:
I think that is the very same unit I looked at, do you think it is the best way to transfer power?
Yes.
The ac power cord you have for your CPAP device is a 90 W Power Supply. It converts the "wall power" (120VAC) to 24VDC DC Output at 3.75 Amps to operate the CPAP device.
I am a CPAP user, not an electrical engineer, but 12 vdc to 24vdc (dc to dc) direct conversion is the most efficient method. There is no need to have the power from your battery go into an inverter then back thru a converter to get 24 vdc to the CPAP device.
There has been a lot of constructive input to this thread. I think there is something to be said for keeping it simple. Just my 2 cents .
Cactus_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 05:30 PM   #26
Platinum Member

You can use a small 150W inverter for the CPAP and it will work fine. If you have other needs a bigger inverter might be a good choice, but for just the CPAP alone the cigarette lighter type are a simple solution.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:18 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegw2 View Post
You can use a small 150W inverter for the CPAP and it will work fine. If you have other needs a bigger inverter might be a good choice, but for just the CPAP alone the cigarette lighter type are a simple solution.
For both of your points, Thank You.

I am just going to run the inverter off of this & part of me believes* it might be wise to;

1. Get a separate 12 Volt Receptacle that connects directly to the Battery Terminals of my AGMS (that I relocated to under my bed a year ago from the usual two outside compartments, housing 2 Group 27 Lifeline 12 Volts running as parallel, saving 80% of electrical runs, etc - now it's 2 6 volt Lifelines AGM in series - completely upgraded my system from the Mickey Mouse Roadtrek set up - I did all this because of adding a Novakool DC Fridge & as I did, all kinds of previous deficiencies were exposed+)

Will send a link next.

2. Then the Pure* Sine Wave adaptor from Resmed. *I am assuming it's a pure sine wave versus a modified version for that cost or maybe I am being a naive New Zealander?
Old 10-25-2021, 08:25 PM   #28
Platinum Member

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GC018-Ad...0G8WLW2Y&psc=1

Here is the 12 Volt Receptacle system I was thinking of buying.

MAYBE I AM OVERTHINKING this, maybe there is not going to be an issue with drawing my batteries down but I know all the experts are here.

I am NOT a Booster, Dayvvd, HNbcj, George RA, Rowiebowie, etc type - but it pays to pay attention to these guys.

My electrical knowledge isn't millivolts & amps but closer to On or Off.

Thank you everyone - any more suggestions, please share.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:20 AM   #29
Platinum Member

I don’t need a CPAP but saw this advertised on TV tonight and got curious because of this thread. It is a small controller under your skin with a wire to your tongue that you can turn on remotely when going to bed. I have a pacemaker with wires to my heart so I think it could be similar. So I guess it is a one day in and out procedure. You don’t have to have a machine, any special requirements in your RV, or a mask. Could be worth investigating. The website is:

https://www.inspiresleep.com/
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:52 AM   #30
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I don’t need a CPAP but saw this advertised on TV tonight and got curious because of this thread. <snip>

I actually asked my ENT about Inspire Sleep because I have a hate-hate relationship with my CPAP. He told me that it seems to have about a 60% success rate. No where near high enough for me, so I stick with the CPAP. (In Inspire's defense, my ENT pointed out that if a patient is simply not using his CPAP at all (perhaps because he hates it), then a 60% success rate is still better than the zero percent an unused CPAP delivers.)
Old 10-26-2021, 05:55 AM   #31
Silver Member

MexicanDoctor... I'm just going to introduce one data point here. On a PleasureWay Ascent with 200Ah of lithium batteries, I can use the Resmed Airsense 10 for 7 hours, with a compressor fridge and my CPAP on the standard 110v plug, WITH the heated humidifier tube. Going to bed at close to 100% battery, I will wake up with about 70% battery. Take that data for what it's worth.

I should look into these DC options.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:20 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I don’t need a CPAP but saw this advertised on TV tonight and got curious because of this thread. It is a small controller under your skin with a wire to your tongue that you can turn on remotely when going to bed. I have a pacemaker with wires to my heart so I think it could be similar. So I guess it is a one day in and out procedure. You don’t have to have a machine, any special requirements in your RV, or a mask. Could be worth investigating. The website is:

I too checked beforehand, my challenge is that due to being in a Coma twice & multiple head injuries, the Inspire is not effective - the main cause of my Apnea is a neurological disconnect/frayed wiring issue.

As a Physiologist, I was surprised to discover that I even had an issue which is an advertisement for all of us to have a Sleep Study done if tiredness/Exhaustion begins with or without any other factors.

Being single for 5 years after retiring from playing GI Joe meant I didn't have anyone to tell me I was suffocating to death but for all of us, with or without thick necks, any change in Energy Levels as we age & the soft palate degrades, skinny or fat, could be a reason for such a check up.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:27 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantonMac View Post
MexicanDoctor... I'm just going to introduce one data point here. On a PleasureWay Ascent with 200Ah of lithium batteries, I can use the Resmed Airsense 10 for 7 hours, with a compressor fridge and my CPAP on the standard 110v plug, WITH the heated humidifier tube. Going to bed at close to 100% battery, I will wake up with about 70% battery. Take that data for what it's worth.

I should look into these DC options.
Thank you - I generally find my Fridge primarily & the Fan when it's hot & other draws typically has me between 85% - 92%.

The 85% is an extreme case if I am parking early, with no input & it's extremely hot.

I think with your Lithiums you are merely exercising your batteries appropriately down to 70% or am I, incorrect.

70% would be too much for my present AGMs buti can always upgrade to a bigger Lifeline I'd needed or the Jackery - I start using the unit Thursday night & will keep you posted.
Old 10-29-2021, 01:53 AM   #34
Platinum Member

Just received my unit, will let you know tonight the results - using it without the Humidifier, already practiced for an Hour.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:01 AM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you - I generally find my Fridge primarily & the Fan when it's hot & other draws typically has me between 85% - 92%.

The 85% is an extreme case if I am parking early, with no input & it's extremely hot.

I think with your Lithiums you are merely exercising your batteries appropriately down to 70% or am I, incorrect.

70% would be too much for my present AGMs buti can always upgrade to a bigger Lifeline I'd needed or the Jackery - I start using the unit Thursday night & will keep you posted.

I think you got me a bit confused here. Are you talking about 85-92% state of charge or amount discharged, probably must be state of charge, not discharge, though. Same thing with the reference to the lithium and 70%, which appears to be amount discharged.

You Lifeline can go the 80% discharged or 20% start of charge without shorting life very much so 70% down would be OK. The lithium could go to zero may, depending on how much reserve is built in and it it shows on the monitor or not.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:23 AM   #36
Platinum Member

For Booster;

This screenshot taken a moment ago after 7pm in California is what I was referring to.

Meaning it's used 10.6ahs & it's at 96% of a full tank of gas or around 4% discharged.

That is remarkable about the Lifeline,I know they are unique in the AGM world but I didn't realize they could be taken down to 20% (80% of charge).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211028-191707.jpg (69.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 10-29-2021, 07:01 PM   #37
Platinum Member

For some reason, my Generator would not start late last night when I wanted to run the batteries up to 100% so I was limited to starting around 96% State of Charge.

I am running a Novakool R3800, some lights, the Fantastic Fan part of the evening, the water pump & then the CPAP*.

*probably 8-9ahs

More accurate information Saturday, slightly skewed info today but here goes;

Last night, at 7.17pm, it had been dark a couple of hours & my Victron Meter read 96% with 10.6ahs used.

The last full charge had been at 4.08pm.

The Skew is that at 11pm (4 hours later), I then drove for no more than 15 minutes & parked. The state of Charge was 96%.

Used my CPAP for about 9 hours, when I checked this morning (with NO Solar input as I was parked under some trees), these were the readings;

90% state of charge, 29.2ahs used from 4.08pm until 9.02am, it appears to me about a 10amp draw.

Will attempt to run my batteries closer to 100% tonight, later in the evening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211028-191707.jpg (69.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211029-090239.jpg (68.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211029-090250.jpg (86.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 11-10-2021, 06:04 PM   #38
Platinum Member

My estimate over the past 10 days is my RESMED Airsense 10 is using on average;

1/One Amp per hour.

This is without using the power hungry Humidifier.

The unit is plugged into the RESMED Converter which is using a Cigarette Lighter, not the direct Alligator or Clamps.

Hope this helps others who are looking to add a CPAP unit & need a rough estimate of an increase in their power consumption.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:10 AM   #39
Gold Member

Thanks. I have a Resmed too and haven't used it in our new van yet. I think the previous owner had a CPAP because there's a 300w PSW inverter mounted on the little 45 degree box that Roadtreks have by the bed. I think I'll still buy the DC/DC adapter just to be more efficient. I only have a 100 A/H AGM to work with. I bough this 12v charging port to install in the cabinet that floats over the foot of the bed. I'll tap into the old TV junction box which has it's own dedicated 15A fuse in the panel. The charging port is rated to 250W and also has its own inline 10A fuse. Now I just need to rig a shelf for the CPAP.
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:16 AM   #40
Platinum Member

Yes, the cigarette lighter unit from Resmed is worth the peace of mind.

Great looking panel with good power for $30.

If you don't have a DC Fridge like I do and your battery is in good condition, you should be fine if you drive enough to charge the battery during the day.