Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2021, 05:30 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default The Latest Recommendations for CPAP Units & Work Arounds p

Posted in General Discussion but this probably the best forum as I didn't get any response;

Just been diagnosed with Critical Apnea (it's the main reason I have been absent for so long - felt like I was barely functioning last two years, had an extreme score of 47 out of 50 in a sleep study, was so pissed went in for a second opiniona week later & it was 48 out of 50!

Getting a RESMED Air Sense 10 this week however I would like to hear from you, the best recommendations & work arounds.

Is there a model designed to be powerful enough & yet with a low power draw to effectively work with existing RV Systems?

I am not interested in converting to Lithium with this rig.

Otherwise open to any & all suggestions.

Presently I have 2 x 220amp 6 Volt Lifeline AGM Batteries wired in Series & both an 170 watt & 80 watt Solar Panel wired in Series, here in Los Angeles, have access to Shore Power very rarely but I do drive during the day sometimes.

Overnight with a Novakool R3800 & a few electrical accessories I typically use about 26-38amp hours before my Solar starts to charge.

Have a Magnum MMS1012 Inverter but there is a huge cost I know in converting the power.

Or is it best to run the CPAP Machine on either a 12 Volt Cigarette Plug or find a way to wire it in "natively", thereby taking the transformer block/stepup/step down out of the equation.

ie; should I just run a clip on Clamp system directly to the Battery Terminals & a 12 Volt plug that way?

Or is it better to buy the Battery Packs that come with various manufacturers?

I have been reluctant to ask because of all that has happened with Phillips & the upcoming litigation.

Thank you.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:28 AM   #2
Gold Member

I went with a small cigarette plug in inverter from Harbor Freight. Just enough to run my unit, unplug when not needed, no extra overhead.
mikeehlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:31 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeehlert View Post
I went with a small cigarette plug in inverter from Harbor Freight. Just enough to run my unit, unplug when not needed, no extra overhead.
Thank you Mike.

What unit do you have & do you run the Humidifier & Heater part also?

I have a suspicion that I do have enough battery reserve but won't know until I hook the unit up.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 10-20-2021, 03:42 PM   #4
Platinum Member

As long as you are not using the humidifier you can get a lot of time out of your batteries.

All you need is a cigarette lighter outlet on your house system (lots of RVs have this already). You can use an inverter like this one ($20) https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Invert...4744390&sr=8-8. My wife used this same model CPAP on a simple inverter like this in our camper van (before we upgraded to our present unit).

If you want to use the humidifier it should still work, but will drain your batteries more quickly.
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:27 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Thank you.

I looked at the link & noticed it was not a PURE SINE WAVE unit - click on a more expensive one that was rated higher by the same company;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07KQ...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

*have you had any issues with using the modified sine wave versus the pure?

Question; since there us a difference in size & output between the two Bestek units, would my using the bigger unit mean more ahs draw or not?

Question; would bypassing the existing DC Cigarette lighter output which I have wired to the Battery somehow (I didn't do it, paid someone), would it be more efficient to hardwire either of these two systems below (permanent clamps* or alligator clamps), and then attach my Cigarette lighter to the Bestek that way?

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GC018-Ad...0G8WLW2Y&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GC017-Ad...0G8WLX78&psc=1

*permanent seems most likely for me
Old 10-20-2021, 04:30 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegw2 View Post
As long as you are not using the humidifier you can get a lot of time out of your batteries.

All you need is a cigarette lighter outlet on your house system (lots of RVs have this already). You can use an inverter like this one ($20) https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Invert...4744390&sr=8-8. My wife used this same model CPAP on a simple inverter like this in our camper van (before we upgraded to our present unit).

If you want to use the humidifier it should still work, but will drain your batteries more quickly.
When you say "before we upgraded", does that mean you now use your new coach's inverter charger unit instead?
Old 10-24-2021, 04:13 PM   #7
Gold Member

I’ve used a CPAP on battery for years, it works well. Resmed S9. A 12 volt adapter works best. A Marinco locking receptacle helps. You push the adapter in and give it a half turn, it locks in place.

Heated humidification is not your friend. It is a massive power hog. Passover humidifiers work very well and require no power.

I have 200AH of lead-acid andI start my solar charging day at about 85%. This is everything, not just the CPAP.
CaDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 04:25 PM   #8
Silver Member

I use the same unit as you and all I did was wire a direct 12v cigarette lighter to my house batteries. Without using the humidifier I can go a couple of days easily. I did spring for the 12v converter for the Resmed unit just to be safe. Hope this helps.
topwop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 04:29 PM   #9
JML
Bronze Member

Default CPAP Options

2013 Pleasure Way Excel. I use a couple of different power options depending on where I am and if I have external power. I use 12 volt DC exclusively. I currently have a 100amphr LiPo. I have a Resmed and a Z2. If I am plugged in external, no need to worry about power consumption. If I have the Resmed and brought the humidifier I'll use it with the humidifier. If I am on the road everyday and am assured of a full charge and not worried about power consumption, I'll do the same. (I won't use the humidifier if boondocking.) If using the Z2, I use HME Heat Moisture Exchange Filters for humidity. (I think I'll start doing that for the Resmed as well.) The Z2 draws less power but I don't have a record handy to check if it is a big deal or not. If I am boondocking, I use a Jackery 500W power station. I have a separate 60W Solar panel to charge it. I may also plug into the RV 12 volt - it just depends on weather conditions and if I happen to run the generator. I can get 5 days from the Jackery. I'm putting in a 270AmpHr lithium soon so I may not use the Jackery any longer - time will tell.
JML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 05:17 PM   #10

We have a 2018 Pleasureway plateau TS and Personally I am using a Philips-Go on 110V from my 200 amp lithium batteries with a pure sine wave inverter and the voltage change over night changes from 13.2V down to 13.1V
I have 300 W solar and a generator which I have never have had to use when traveling in Canada in the summer.
Friends use battery packs on canoe trips and ration their CPAP hours. As long as one is in the 7 hour usage range I believe of sleep hours one is getting the benefit.
Good NIHI study link worth a read appended:
Sleep journal:
Relationship Between Hours of CPAP Use and Achieving Normal Levels of Sleepiness and Daily Functioning.
Cheers Roger
rsmitch2@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:15 PM   #11

Google:
Air10 and S9 DC/DC Converter 90W
~$85 dc to dc converter for ResMed's AirSense 10
Cactus_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:48 PM   #12

Default Home UPS + RV

So, I just started CPap therapy in May. I have the Airsense 10 Autoset.

I like to purchase things that can be used in multiple scenarios.

My first goal was to get my cpap on a UPS - uninterruptable power supply. I purchased a Jackery 500 off Amazon on sale for $420. It is a 518Ah lithium battery with a 120vac inverter built in. It can charge off 120vac, 12vdc cigarette lighter plug, or solar panels (sold separately).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07SM5HBK1/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I then purchased an off-brand cpap 12v adapter off Amazon and use it in the Jackery since DC to DC is more efficient. It also allows me to connect directly to the RV battery if I wish.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07P6H994Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

This combination fits many scenarios, including my daily use at home as a UPS, power outage at home, RV plugged in, RV on battery, or completely standalone.

Also - please Google "Oscar cpap app" for a free program that will give you great insights to your cpap treatment each night. You will only need to purchase an sd card or micro sd card with sd adapter. I bought a 32gb microsd with adapter at bestbuy for $13.

Also consider buying a blood O2 and heart rate monitor, I have this one, and with Oscar and the cpap data it really completes the picture.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0796QYM8R/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_track_package_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc= 1

John
ohiobmwbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:55 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaDreamin View Post
I’ve used a CPAP on battery for years, it works well. Resmed S9. A 12 volt adapter works best. A Marinco locking receptacle helps. You push the adapter in and give it a half turn, it locks in place.

Heated humidification is not your friend. It is a massive power hog. Passover humidifiers work very well and require no power.

I have 200AH of lead-acid andI start my solar charging day at about 85%. This is everything, not just the CPAP.
Thank you!

Do you run a DC Fridge also or just a Propane unit?

Like everything, I won't really know until I hook up the unit & run it.

Like you, with the Fridge, depending on what time I stop driving that day or evening, I am at around 85% or more both nights.

NO Heated Humidifier?

What is a Passover Humidifier?
Old 10-25-2021, 04:59 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwop View Post
I use the same unit as you and all I did was wire a direct 12v cigarette lighter to my house batteries. Without using the humidifier I can go a couple of days easily. I did spring for the 12v converter for the Resmed unit just to be safe. Hope this helps.
Thank you!

Are you talking about the $81-100 12 volt converter versus other suggestions?

So I think you are saying you wired a 12 volt female receptacle directly to the Battery Terminals (I have 2 x 6 volts wired in Series so there must be a way to do this), and the expensive Resmed Converter plugged into that female receptacle?
Old 10-25-2021, 05:04 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JML View Post
2013 Pleasure Way Excel. I use a couple of different power options depending on where I am and if I have external power. I use 12 volt DC exclusively. I currently have a 100amphr LiPo. I have a Resmed and a Z2. If I am plugged in external, no need to worry about power consumption. If I have the Resmed and brought the humidifier I'll use it with the humidifier. If I am on the road everyday and am assured of a full charge and not worried about power consumption, I'll do the same. (I won't use the humidifier if boondocking.) If using the Z2, I use HME Heat Moisture Exchange Filters for humidity. (I think I'll start doing that for the Resmed as well.) The Z2 draws less power but I don't have a record handy to check if it is a big deal or not. If I am boondocking, I use a Jackery 500W power station. I have a separate 60W Solar panel to charge it. I may also plug into the RV 12 volt - it just depends on weather conditions and if I happen to run the generator. I can get 5 days from the Jackery. I'm putting in a 270AmpHr lithium soon so I may not use the Jackery any longer - time will tell.
Thank you!

What is a Z2, remember I have yet to receive my first machine yet?

I thought about using external batteries but will wait for a week or so of use - a 270 ah Lithium, is that 80%/190ah or more?
Old 10-25-2021, 05:07 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmitch2@gmail.com View Post
We have a 2018 Pleasureway plateau TS and Personally I am using a Philips-Go on 110V from my 200 amp lithium batteries with a pure sine wave inverter and the voltage change over night changes from 13.2V down to 13.1V
I have 300 W solar and a generator which I have never have had to use when traveling in Canada in the summer.
Friends use battery packs on canoe trips and ration their CPAP hours. As long as one is in the 7 hour usage range I believe of sleep hours one is getting the benefit.
Good NIHI study link worth a read appended:
Sleep journal:
Relationship Between Hours of CPAP Use and Achieving Normal Levels of Sleepiness and Daily Functioning.
Cheers Roger
Thank you!

And yes, a great article indeed.

When in Canada in the summer are you also driving?
Old 10-25-2021, 05:11 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus_tom View Post
Google:
Air10 and S9 DC/DC Converter 90W
~$85 dc to dc converter for ResMed's AirSense 10

I think that is the very same unit I looked at, do you think it is the best way to transfer power?
Old 10-25-2021, 05:16 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobmwbiker View Post
So, I just started CPap therapy in May. I have the Airsense 10 Autoset.

I like to purchase things that can be used in multiple scenarios.

My first goal was to get my cpap on a UPS - uninterruptable power supply. I purchased a Jackery 500 off Amazon on sale for $420. It is a 518Ah lithium battery with a 120vac inverter built in. It can charge off 120vac, 12vdc cigarette lighter plug, or solar panels (sold separately).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07SM...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I then purchased an off-brand cpap 12v adapter off Amazon and use it in the Jackery since DC to DC is more efficient. It also allows me to connect directly to the RV battery if I wish.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07P6...b_b_asin_title

This combination fits many scenarios, including my daily use at home as a UPS, power outage at home, RV plugged in, RV on battery, or completely standalone.

Also - please Google "Oscar cpap app" for a free program that will give you great insights to your cpap treatment each night. You will only need to purchase an sd card or micro sd card with sd adapter. I bought a 32gb microsd with adapter at bestbuy for $13.

Also consider buying a blood O2 and heart rate monitor, I have this one, and with Oscar and the cpap data it really completes the picture.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0796...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

John
Thank you!

I knew this was the best place to ask questions.

And it appears you are happy with your Jackery - is that in lieu of upgrading your current charging system/batteries/solar, etc versus the other member above?
Old 10-25-2021, 11:08 AM   #19

Well, yes and no. I use the unit (with the 12vdc converter) nightly as a UPS in the house, then take it with me when we travel.

My Travato is a bit older and only has 1 lead acid battery, we don't use it enough to justify upgrading the coach to a couple lithiums.

I have tested it a couple of times in the house by disconnecting it from the 120vac house outlet. With heated hose and humidifier both on auto it uses 44% for approximately 8 hours, so it would last 2 nights without being charged. As others have said, turning off the heated bits will provide substantially more run time, or just charge it every day. In the house I leave it plugged in, in the RV on shore power same thing. We on "boondock" in truck stops, walmarts, etc. for a night at at time on our way to a destination. We keep it charged while driving by using the 12vdc Jackery charging cable.
ohiobmwbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:47 PM   #20
Silver Member

That's the one I meant but I think it was less expensive when I bought it.
This one would work just doesn't have the on/off switch which only would matter if you wanted to leave it plugged in which I don't.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-C.../dp/B0821CMSPH

I have a 2006 Roadtrek 210 with the twin bed set up and I just drilled a hole for the female end to mount and then ran the wires directly to my batteries, I have 2 - 6v also, just like the battery terminals are hooked. Take one wire to the first battery positive post and the other to the second battery negative post. These will be the one your positive and negative cables are hooked to not the jumper in the middle. It will be HOT all the time but if not in use it won't draw any real power.
topwop is offline   Reply With Quote