Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2017, 08:37 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Travato 59k Electrical Problems

Recently purchased a used 2017 Travato 59k. Having problems with roof a/c unit (Coleman). Unit works fine on shore power but gets no power while on Generator 2800w Onan). While on shore power I note that a/c uses 18amps. This is well below the capacity of the Generator. All Breakers are on and not tripped. When I purchased it, the dealer informed me the roof a/c required either Shore Power .OR. Generator power.

Can anyone confirm that? Anyone have any thoughts of what could be wrong?
Steamjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Does your microwave light up when you use the generator instead of shore power? If not, your automatic transfer switch might be dead.

Your dealer is correct.

There is also a breaker on the generator itself that might be tripped. Remove the cover and reach down under the remaining panel and you will feel a switch with your fingertips. Not very convenient but the first time is the hardest.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:23 PM   #3
Silver Member

This generation of travatos had a recal on the Transfer switch related to the torquing of the lugs on the AC power.

A lot of owners reports burnt connections, switch failures, etc.

I replaced mine before any of that went down, but I have a G, and it may just be a G problem.

There is a $hit load of tribal knowledge on the travato facebook group (i bailed on the facebook, but that was the best community around to solve travato problems)

Any WGO dealer should be able to research the recall/ field notice.

Good luck
riplips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:27 PM   #4
Bronze Member

IDK, that's something I need to check out today. I initially thought this was an A/C problem but after sleeping on it, I've come to realize it might be a generator problem or something in the circuitry that shifts between SP and the Gen. I have no schematics of the electrical system. Only have Operators Manual and the Operators Manual Supplement. I should visit the Onan website to see if there's an illustrated Manual for the 2800w unit.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:29 PM   #5
Silver Member

winnebago has all the electrical drawings:

https://winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.htm
riplips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:29 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Does anything else (outlets or microwave) work when the generator is on?

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 08-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #7
Bronze Member

THX, riplips That might be worth investigating. Transfer Switch... Ah yes, that's the phrase I was looking for.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #8
Bronze Member

THX, Eric. I'll gather more info when the sun comes up
Old 08-04-2017, 09:31 PM   #9
Platinum Member

The AC does not use 18 amps. The battery charger, plus fridge, plus monitors and whatever else is running could get you to that number. The battery charger/converter is 5 to 6 amps by itself.

Check the lights on your EMS panel. If AC is not lit up, then that circuit is down for some reason. Also note that it takes about 2 mins for power to be available once the transfer switch clicks. From the description though, it sound like you have a bad transfer switch though
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:58 AM   #10
Bronze Member

All:

I opened the panel on the genset this afternoon. Facing the open panel from the rear I see the intake filter on the right. below the filter is a rocker switch labeled Start/Stop. This is the local start switch On the same label as the rocker there is a yellow stripe with the legend "circuit breaker" and a downward pointing arrow. I reached in and attempted to locate anything remotely like a circuit breaker. No such luck. I'd need to get this on a lift to be able to see inside. Sigh... When the generator is running and Shore power disconnected there are no lights on the control panel. All three are lit on shore power. On Generator, there are no energized appliances and none of the duplex outlets are energized either.

Does anyone know where that transfer switch is located?

I don't believe I can go much farther than I have. Proly have to let the dealer do their thing. Getting way too old to be rolling around on the ground making repairs.

Thanks muchly for all the advice offered.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:19 AM   #11
Bronze Member

The transfer switch should be under passenger bed on the rear wall, at least on my 2016. Might just be the loose lugs.
Although used, it may still be under warranty. Do you know if the original in-service date was less than 12 months ago? Have less than 15k miles on the odometer?
Gobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:52 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Awesome tutorial on resetting the Onan circuit breaker here: Reset Onan Circuit Breaker
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:43 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Thanks for that tutorial! I copied into a Word file so I can print it out and have it when I don't have internet access! Seems like these things usually happen far from home.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:22 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Unfortunately, the breaker is a lot less accessible on our Onans because the hatch is smaller. Persevere. It's there below that on/off switch with the red square, not below the sticker. You can feel enough if it with your finger tips, especially if you're on your back, to push it off and then back on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0903.jpg (233.8 KB, 11 views)

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 08-05-2017, 02:32 PM   #15
Bronze Member

Marco:

Great tutorial but wrong generator. Tutorial shows the MicroLite version of the QG2800. Mine is different. Air filter is on the right on mine.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:36 PM   #16
Bronze Member

Eric:

Yeah, that's the version I have. I'll look again today after I buy a couple of ramps to get it up a bit and give me some room
Old 08-05-2017, 02:44 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamjockey View Post
Eric:

Yeah, that's the version I have. I'll look again today after I buy a couple of ramps to get it up a bit and give me some room
Get some long 2x8s and cut them to various lengths to make a solid wooden ramp. Stack and nail them together. Cheaper and safer.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:11 PM   #18
Platinum Member

At least on my browser (chrome/mac), I have to remove the s from "https" on that Winnebago diagram URL in order for links on the wiring page to work.
Saldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:23 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Well if it's not the circuit breaker on your genset, then it's the transfer switch.

Sadly, this is not really a serviceable item. It's under the driver's side bed and you have to remove about a dozen screws to get to it. Once you do, it's really a remove and replace it if it's faulty. It's not really an expensive part - you can look them up on amazon. Probably 1 hour of shop time to replace.

But I'd try asking WGO customer service to help you out if you are past warranty. They had a lot of failures on these units and may be willing to offer some kind of assistance.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:30 PM   #20
BBQ
Platinum Member

There is a recall on the transfer switch.

Call WGO for detail.