Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2021, 11:25 PM   #1

Default Used TS Adventurous with E-Trek

Hi all- new to the forum, new to class B, although not new to camping. Just about to trade my GMC Dually and Alpine 3801FK for a really nice 2015 Road Trek TS adventurous with only 12000 miles. The RT has solar panels and the additional alternator/generator, but so far the dealer seems clueless on location of the extra batteries that I assume are installed, doesn’t know if the battery equalizer is installed and hasn’t demonstrated anything working yet. I also noticed that the two batteries under the hood (drivers side) look like AC Delco Lead acid batteries.

I am going back Tuesday for a better look at the RT and to get some of the systems demonstrated and also a test drive.

Can anyone tell me the best way to check the type of batteries actually installed and the best way to test the battery control systems? I don’t want to trade into this and find I need to buy $3000+ of batteries

Thanks!
Andyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:47 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Just a guess but if he can’t make it work for you you are in for much more than $3000 in batteries. Search E-Trek on this forum. They can be made to work but the learning curve will be very steep for you to do it.

There are those on this forum that have the knowledge. I am not one of them. If the price was right I could see doing it but don’t expect it to be ready to go for six months. Just an outsider’s opinion.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:02 PM   #3
Bronze Member

From the brochure (printed in 2014), it looks like standard battery complement is four 6V AGM deep cycles, and the E Trek option adds another four. That would be pretty hard to hide. Since it has no generator behind the rear axle, could they be all tucked in there together? Crappy place for batteries, though.

I don’t know that system, other than the second alternator on the engine, which mine also has. Wish I could help, but all I can suggest is crawling underneath to see what’s under there. The LiFePO4 battery in mine is under the couch/bed, FWIW. I don’t know if AGMs are typically put inside due to the possibility of venting H2 gas.

https://www.roadtrek.com/wp-content/...ochure2014.pdf
Old 10-04-2021, 12:42 PM   #4
Platinum Member

If it is an 8 battery etrek it will have two under the hood and six under the floor in the rear.

The fact that it has wet cells under the hood is a not great sign as they would not match AGM in the rear and if there are wet cells under the floor also not good.

The etreks were a pretty poor design IMO with mismatched cable wiring and no balancer being major issues, plus some other oddities. There are several very good discussions on this forum on possible fixes of various levels and including cable rerouting, adding a balancer and ever ditching the front batteries are using 6 eight volt AGMS in the rear.

IMO, unless you are experienced in 12v wiring and systems, it would be a daunting job to do yourself and many of the changes quite expensive to hire done, except for just adding a balancer which would be moderately priced.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:38 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I own a 2015 Etrek. I am not sure of the difference between it and the TS Etrek. The other six AGM batteries are underneath the back seat. Mine has a Cooper Bussmann power converter under the driver side wheel well bench seat.

It isn't unlikely you will need to replace the batteries since they are 6 years old. It depends on how well they were treated, but they don't last forever. The two flooded lead acid batteries under the hood are not a good sign. Its possible they replaced all 8 batteries with flooded lead acid in which case you will need to maintain them. If they have a mixture of flooded lead acid and AGM's that is probably not going to work very well in the long run. Someone here may be able to explain how to charge and maintain that kind of setup, but I don't think anyone would recommend it. Usually the recommendation is to replace all the batteries at once with identical batteries of the same age. So figure battery replacement into the price. It shouldn't cost you $3000, more like half that.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:46 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
Crappy place for batteries, though.

https://www.roadtrek.com/wp-content/...ochure2014.pdf
I am genuinely curious why that would be true.

I have 6 AGM's that are under the storage area below/behind the back seat. They provide a bunch of weight very close to the back axle which I have found is great for winter traction. Probably also adds to wind stability.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:56 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
I am genuinely curious why that would be true.

I have 6 AGM's that are under the storage area below/behind the back seat. They provide a bunch of weight very close to the back axle which I have found is great for winter traction. Probably also adds to wind stability.
I was thinking of the water, dirt, and salt under there, and lack of access for service. Maybe they do something to make them more readily accessible, like a hatch in the floor and a sealed(ish) box to protect them. I don't know. I was just thinking out loud.