Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2019, 02:55 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatOldGummer View Post
I gave up on my 2.8 Onan in my 96 Roadtrek 190. Designed and built my own front mount and mounted an EU3000IS Honda on a MasterLock mount designed for the EU3000IS. Works fantastic while stationary but when I run down the road it stops. Can't find any indication of tip-over switch in the manual or specs. Has anyone used a Honda generator running down the road. Thanx
Is there a switch that detects low oil and could you be tripping that by driving and having that oil slosh around during turns?

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Is there a switch that detects low oil and could you be tripping that by driving and having that oil slosh around during turns?
Thanks Eric. I'm old and my brain has lots of holes in it. Now that you mention it, my friend suggested that in passing one day and I completely forgot it. If I can remember long enough I will temporarily bypass the oil low switch and try it. if that does the trick, I will try doing a slight overfill and see that works. If not, I'll just leave the bypass in and check it often. Thanks again. If I get a good result, I'll let you know. Bob
FatOldGummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:47 PM   #23
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatOldGummer View Post
Thanks Eric. I'm old and my brain has lots of holes in it. Now that you mention it, my friend suggested that in passing one day and I completely forgot it. If I can remember long enough I will temporarily bypass the oil low switch and try it. if that does the trick, I will try doing a slight overfill and see that works. If not, I'll just leave the bypass in and check it often. Thanks again. If I get a good result, I'll let you know. Bob
Joining the thread late, but I am curious why you want the genny running while driving? I have not heard of anyone doing that.

I caution against bypassing a low oil switch if that is the problem. You can toast your bearings quickly if there is any oil starvation to the pump - why airplanes and lots of race cars use dry-sump systems to guarantee a continuous oil supply to the bearings.

Dave
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:32 PM   #24

Hi D&J. Several reasons why I want to be able to drive while gen on but mainly sometimes my Mother in Law goes on trips with us. She can"t walk out the distance to see something sometimes. So she just stays in the van and crochets. If we're making a lot of repeat stops I don't want to have to keep turning on and shutting down gen and ac. Ran my 2.8 Onan all the time like this. Would just let it run all day. If my Mother in Law got heat stroke my sister in laws would skin me and soak me in salt water. As for runnning with the oil low switch bypassed, the gen is new and should be able to run a 6 hr day without running out of oil. If it won't, then I obviously got the wrong generator. Will check to see if the oil low pressure switch is causing it to shut down. But gonna have to be a WHOLE lot cooler than it is now. This Texas heat got me feelin like a fat pig on a roastin spit.
FatOldGummer is offline   Reply With Quote