Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2018, 01:12 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Using Honda Generator as Shore Power

Has any used a 3000 +/- watt honda generator as a shore power substitute. Not sure of the connections available from generators in this range so i don't know if it could connect 30 ->30 or use a 15 ->30 adapter.
bwolfsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:31 AM   #2
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe

Have wondered the same thing. We have put so much time and money into the on board Onan 2800. I keep saying next time its out of there.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I'm not looking to replace the onan, there are just times when i will have a separate genny, and i was wondering if anyone has done this...
Old 08-19-2018, 03:24 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Have wondered the same thing. We have put so much time and money into the on board Onan 2800. I keep saying next time its out of there.
I did reach a point where I was tired of throwing hundreds of $$$ at the previously neglected and loud Onan. Not to mention the impossibility of on trip repairs short of going to a genny shop. One year turned out to be a fuel pump and the $$$ muffler blew out. The next long trip the voltage regulator crapped out. While this is replaceable on the road without lowering it correcting the root cause is not. The final straw came when after correcting the cause(dirty slip ring) the carbbie went on the fritz. Enough was enough.

I always pull a trailer with a motorcycle in it so I mounted up a nice, quieter than Onan(though not quite as quiet as a Honda/Yamaha) Champion inverter genny on the trailer tongue. This genny comes with a remoter start/stop key fob so you don't have to go out to start it. 2800 watt continuous. 30 amp RV outlet, no adapter required. About $8-900. US based support. Three year warranty.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...tart-inverter/

Is it as convenient as the onboard Onan? No, but it's close with the fob start. You still have to put gas in it. I'm using the same low pressure fuel pump that I rigged up external to the Onan to fill the gas tank on the Champion. Did I mention that it's (alot) quieter than the Onan even with a new $$$ muffler on it?

As a bonus my brother and I fabbed up a hinged battery carrier in place of the Onan so I can have a larger or dual batteries if I want. And battery install/removal is a lot easier than the little cubby that Roadtrek provided for the 200 series.

If for some reason we go on a trip without the trailer, installing it on a rear carrier is not that big of a deal. I built a portable ramp system to wheel it into place on the trailer or carrier and for maintenance and repair work.

All in all, I'm quite happy with the change over. I just finished a four month trip with no genny issues. Priceless.

Oh, and did I mention it's quieter than the Onan?
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:36 PM   #5
Platinum Member

SteveJ,

Thanks for the great information...

Any pictures available ?? i'd love to see the genny on the front of the trailer..
Old 08-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolfsohn View Post
SteveJ,

Thanks for the great information...

Any pictures available ?? i'd love to see the genny on the front of the trailer..
PM on it's way
Old 08-26-2018, 07:59 PM   #7

Default Honda Generator

I have used a new Honda EU2000i generator with my class B Travato. I had removed the Onan for reasons of noise, exhaust fumes and onerous upkeep in favor of a tiny, quiet Honda. The only adjustment I had to make was to install a soft start module on the air conditioner to allow its start-ups to stay within the amperage limit of the small inverter generator. So far its been fantastic. Much quieter, less fumes and far simpler to change oil and maintain as it's not under the van. The module is from Easy Start and its around $300. Well with the investment!
dayrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:50 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I have a Honda EU3000is, primarily for emergency backup. I exercise it by connecting it to the Sprinter and running the roof AC. I rigged a 30-Amp RV by 30-Amp twist pigtail to connect the RV power cable to the generator.

While I have not run the AC and the electric water heater simultaneously while connected to the generator, I do believe this is a practical demonstration of using the Honda for shore power.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:18 AM   #9

I'm very careful to pay attention to what loads I place on the Honda. With the AC pulling 7 to 12 amps depending if the compressor is engaged, there's not a lot of overhead for the microwave or induction burner. I therefore balance by raising the thermostat so the AC idles if I need another appliance. I also have a 3000 watt inverter that can handle the load off my 420 Ah of lithium batts. The soft start makes it all possible in my situation. The other handy devise is the Winnebago Energy Management System, which will decide what device retains power given a shortage in available amps. It will automatically douse the AC unit should my draw require more than the supply. This is before any breakers are tripped.
dayrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:17 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
As a bonus my brother and I fabbed up a hinged battery carrier in place of the Onan so I can have a larger or dual batteries if I want. And battery install/removal is a lot easier than the little cubby that Roadtrek provided for the 200 series.
You and your brother built a hinged battery carrier for the RT200? I built a angle iron frame for the two batteries that replaced the Onan under my 2000C200P, but a hinged carrier sounds interesting. Any pictures available?
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:27 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Well, that didn't work.

Shoot me a PM with a phone number that I can text to.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:18 AM   #12
Bronze Member

Hitch-mounted Honda 2000
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1112.jpg (90.8 KB, 98 views)
Old 05-10-2019, 07:02 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I didn't know until today that the Honda eu2000 had been replace by the

https://powerequipment.honda.com/gen...ll-new-eu2200i
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:17 PM   #14
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
I didn't know until today that the Honda eu2000 had been replace by the

https://powerequipment.honda.com/gen...ll-new-eu2200i
Finally a fuel shut off! I've been too lazy to install with what really needs it, an onan.

Quieter, lighter, and 10% more watts in the same size package!
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:27 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Curiosity. I know that the Honda carb can be outfitted to run on LP. Has anyone tried this? It would seem that if your propane system is fitted with the capability to connect external propane devices (i.e. a grill) you could run the Honda without carrying a gas can.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
Curiosity. I know that the Honda carb can be outfitted to run on LP. Has anyone tried this? It would seem that if your propane system is fitted with the capability to connect external propane devices (i.e. a grill) you could run the Honda without carrying a gas can.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:55 PM   #17
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe

Our Onan is still driving me crazy! Put new fuel pump among many, many other parts 2 years ago. Guess all in all over years. I am well over $2000.00 into it. Now think fuel pump bad again. Was making knocking noise on and off. Now runs until reaching operating temperture. Then cuts off until sits for a while. Totally hate the damm thing!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:39 PM   #18

I gave up on my 2.8 Onan in my 96 Roadtrek 190. Designed and built my own front mount and mounted an EU3000IS Honda on a MasterLock mount designed for the EU3000IS. Works fantastic while stationary but when I run down the road it stops. Can't find any indication of tip-over switch in the manual or specs. Has anyone used a Honda generator running down the road. Thanx
FatOldGummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:20 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatOldGummer View Post
I gave up on my 2.8 Onan in my 96 Roadtrek 190. Designed and built my own front mount and mounted an EU3000IS Honda on a MasterLock mount designed for the EU3000IS. Works fantastic while stationary but when I run down the road it stops. Can't find any indication of tip-over switch in the manual or specs. Has anyone used a Honda generator running down the road. Thanx
maybe it just has to be level
Old 09-06-2019, 11:42 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatOldGummer View Post
Will it run when you are stationary on a hill?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote