Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2020, 09:38 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Victron BMV-712 Settings

I am connecting up a BMV-712 to a bank of dual Duracell SLIGC115 in a series. The settings I was going to configured for the 712 is as follows. If there is anything that I have overlooked or just plain missed, let me know. TIA

Battery capacity: 230 aH
Charged Voltage: 14.1
Tail current: 4%
Peukert Exponent: 1.25 or 1.3
Charge efficiency factor: 94%
Low SOC Relay: 50/50
B2 sensor to measure mid-point voltage, aux input
stevanpierce@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:31 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I'm not familiar with the BMV-712 so can't help specifically.

14.1V with 4% (9.2A) current is far from fully charged for any batteries that I have. 14.4V with 1% would be closer to fully charged. If your charger can't do that then 14.3V and/or 2% could be used to ensure that the monitor resets.

I use 14.3V & 1A (0.25%) with the Trimetric in my van (AGM batteries) and it never fails to reset and get the Charged indicator to light up.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:58 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I am with Marko on the changes.

These are wet cells that appear to be for deep cycle applications, but SLI in the part number is a worry as the usually would mean it is a "starting/lights/ignition" battery which would not be deep cycle.

It is always best to check with the manufacturer for the settings, but for most batteries like this, you would be looking at 14.4-14.6v absorption, 13.2-13.5v float, about 2% (.02C) tail amps when new.

Personally, I don't think Peukert applies to most RV users, so I would change it to one, which is basically no Peukert modifier, as that will give you accurate readings based on the 20 rating that the batteries have.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:14 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I cannot help you but my 2cents is anything from Victron is the best technology out there. I have the BMV712 & a MTTP 100-30 Charge Controller from them also - woukd have bought my inverter from them but they didn't make a small enough 12 volt unit at the time.

They edge out Lifeline in the Battery Department as well.

PS. For FREE, somewhere on their site you can sent away for either a book form or a pdf on everything you ever wanted to know about Batteries & Charging - here is the link; https://www.victronenergy.com/orderbook
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:37 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I am with Marko on the changes.

These are wet cells that appear to be for deep cycle applications, but SLI in the part number is a worry as the usually would mean it is a "starting/lights/ignition" battery which would not be deep cycle.

It is always best to check with the manufacturer for the settings, but for most batteries like this, you would be looking at 14.4-14.6v absorption, 13.2-13.5v float, about 2% (.02C) tail amps when new.

Personally, I don't think Peukert applies to most RV users, so I would change it to one, which is basically no Peukert modifier, as that will give you accurate readings based on the 20 rating that the batteries have.
Figured that Duracell would call it a deep cycle but as the name implies not to be the case. I tried as hard as I could to find tech specs on it but haven't yet. Instead of digging into it more, I will move on and look for another battery meant as a true deep cycle.

Thanks for info! Always learning something new by trial and error.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:40 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
I cannot help you but my 2cents is anything from Victron is the best technology out there. I have the BMV712 & a MTTP 100-30 Charge Controller from them also - woukd have bought my inverter from them but they didn't make a small enough 12 volt unit at the time.

They edge out Lifeline in the Battery Department as well.

PS. For FREE, somewhere on their site you can sent away for either a book form or a pdf on everything you ever wanted to know about Batteries & Charging - here is the link; https://www.victronenergy.com/orderbook
In for one, thanks for the resource!

Tags
battery, settings, victron monitor