Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2020, 05:46 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default What Can I Expect

We just got our rig and it’s (supposedly) equipped with Two 105 amp hour group 31 deep cycle batteries. What sort of life span can we expect to see out of these before they stop holding a charge (this is a 2019 model)? I know nothing about these and am curious to how long they might last before we need to replace.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:50 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Depends highly on how you treat them. Our two Group31 105Ah batteries are still strong at five years. We treat them well—for example, they have never failed to be fully charged (per manufacturer specs) at least once a week and usually at least 4-5 days/week.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
Gold Member

Nice. We are still trying to figure this out. We are equipped with two 100 watt solar panels so I’m assuming the coach batteries stay fairly charged if we’re not drawing power(?).
Old 08-06-2020, 07:36 PM   #4
Platinum Member

you will soon more more about volts, watts and amps, battery chemistry and energy management than you ever wanted!

I assume there is a controller for the solar to keep from overcharging the batteries- lets assume so- in which case 'storage" requires little thought.

Batteries are happiest if kept at a high state of charge

I have 1 x group 27 lead/acid deep cycle marine battery ( an older van)-

with light use of 12 volt energy ( internal lights, TV/stereo, fans on the propane fridge and the detectors) I can go about 4 days off grid- I have a small solar which puts out a max of 1 amp which is equal to fridge fans and we can go well over a week- water becomes the limiting factor
( I could run genny or van motor if needed)

Our battery is over 5 years old and has never been run flat and kept 90~100% during storage periods and topped off when needed with distilled water

You likely have no concerns

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:49 PM   #5
Gold Member

Thanks. We have a Go Power controller so I guess it’s doing it’s job. I’m not sure what to expect yet as far as consumption. We have a compressor fridge so I’m assuming that’d be a fairly big draw. Probably not going to be doing much boondocking, just an occasional night here or there. To be seen.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:39 PM   #6
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
I assume there is a controller for the solar to keep from overcharging the batteries- lets assume so- in which case 'storage" requires little thought.

Batteries are happiest if kept at a high state of charge

Mike
So we went on an excursion last week. No problems. The rig has been in the driveway for the last five days. We have been in and out of it doing several clean up things but the coach batteries are in “Disconnect” state. It’s been fairly sunny although today has been cloudier. I was curious about the state of the coach batteries so I went in and turned on the batteries and the wall controller says that the batteries are in low state of charge. Why? How can there be a big enough draw on the batteries for it to be “Low” with the panels charging them everyday?
Old 08-19-2020, 08:48 PM   #7
Platinum Member

That wonderful array of lights are known as INDICATOR LIGHTS by Salespeople & Non-Owners.

As soon as you turn the key & leave the sales arena you learn their real name, IDIOT LIGHTS.

You are asking the right questions, on the right forum,of the right people.

Expect an Education that gives you answers the way your Psych Ward Rotation provided.

I will leave it to the experts to inform you.

If you have Lifeline, know that you have the very best AGM Batteries made in the USA.

BULLETPROOF.

MILITARY GRADE.

Full River have a good name but now I believe they are made in China for the past couple of years.

Battleborn also have a good a reputation as Full River.
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:02 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Old View Post
We just got our rig and it’s (supposedly) equipped with Two 105 amp hour group 31 deep cycle batteries. What sort of life span can we expect to see out of these before they stop holding a charge (this is a 2019 model)? I know nothing about these and am curious to how long they might last before we need to replace.
What rig did you purchase?

It might be splitting hairs but I know for my original Go Power system with one 170 watt panel, my installer said throw away the Go Power unit which I believe is a PWM?

I installed at the same time a as the Meter below a Victron MTTP 15/75 unit.

Then I added a Victron BMV712 Smart Meter & then I added a 80 watt panel for a total of 250 watts.

Recently I tossed the MTTP 15/75 for a Victron 30/100 unit, big improvement.

By the way, vip; if you buy anything from the internet from Victron, purchase the SMART units, not the BLUE units.

SMART units have a built in BLUETOOTH.

If I was ever to buy Victron I would purchase from either;

1. Alan at Bay Marine & Supply in San Diego

(619) 320- 5899

(619) 878-8146

alan@baymarineandsupply.com

2. Or AM Solar.

Both excellent customer service.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:13 PM   #9
Gold Member

We have a Coachmen CrossFit. It’s got the Go Power PWM 30 SQ. We have two-100 watt panels. Guess I’ve got some research/studying to do to decipher all that you just detailed for me. I do appreciate it.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:01 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Mine is a different rig from a different era, but the Airstream factory did some rewiring of sorts that might make sense to them but not to me.

For instance the cab dome light and radio/nav head unit are powered on the coach batteries rather than the engine battery. So if they are somehow left on (and the battery disconnect left connected), I could see some unanticipated discharge. In my case, the battery disconnect switch does not have to be connected for the solar to keep the battieries topped, so I make sure batteries are off when sitting.

The best tool I can suggest is a battery monitor. It will show power going into an out of your batteries. This allows you to track down any sources of parasitic drain. I have no (zero) drain at the present time.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:21 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
We have a Coachmen CrossFit. It’s got the Go Power PWM 30 SQ. We have two-100 watt panels. Guess I’ve got some research/studying to do to decipher all that you just detailed for me. I do appreciate it.
I know enough now, to know that I don't know enough to comment here but to ask questions.

There are Tech Giants amongst us who can answer these questions while understanding the bigger picture.

The good thing about the Coachmen is you have enough real estate on the roof to add more Solar without compromise.

Or add a second Alternator.

The Battery Monitor is essentially a Smart* Meter.

*bluetooth communication with your phone

But that is just the beginning.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 08-19-2020, 10:25 PM   #12
Platinum Member

This is a great resource, you can download the pdf.

https://www.victronenergy.com/orderbook

Its a Treatise that removes the many layers of obfuscationthat cloak what is happening inside the battery & how to work with your battery dynamics.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 08-19-2020, 11:12 PM   #13
Gold Member

Default Battery Connect or Disconnect

So I was under the impression that our coach batteries charged via solar when the batteries are disconnected. Is this not true? Is it different per each rig set up?
Old 08-19-2020, 11:28 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
So I was under the impression that our coach batteries charged via solar when the batteries are disconnected. Is this not true? Is it different per each rig set up?
If the GoPower display is still visible after you disconnect the batteries then you know it's working as you thought it would.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:30 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
So we went on an excursion last week. No problems. The rig has been in the driveway for the last five days. We have been in and out of it doing several clean up things but the coach batteries are in “Disconnect” state. It’s been fairly sunny although today has been cloudier. I was curious about the state of the coach batteries so I went in and turned on the batteries and the wall controller says that the batteries are in low state of charge. Why? How can there be a big enough draw on the batteries for it to be “Low” with the panels charging them everyday?

Does your monitor show Low, 11.2, 11.7 & 12.3 ? If so, Low is not good. If the system is basically at rest, meaning no loads on the battery and the lights indicate anything other than 12.3 then I suggest charging the batteries. If you see 11.7 then charge the batteries ASAP.

What voltage does the GoPower unit show?

Did you leave the fridge on for the 5 days in the driveway?
Old 08-19-2020, 11:41 PM   #16
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Does your monitor show Low, 11.2, 11.7 & 12.3 ? If so, Low is not good. If the system is basically at rest, meaning no loads on the battery and the lights indicate anything other than 12.3 then I suggest charging the batteries. If you see 11.7 then charge the batteries ASAP.

What voltage does the GoPower unit show?

Did you leave the fridge on for the 5 days in the driveway?
The Go Power unit is always on (even when disconnected) and most of the time it’s 12.x and higher. Today it was 11.x and when I went to the other panel and checked the battery level it said “low”. So we disconnected the battery when we got home five days ago and so the fridge is off.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:49 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Fully charged wet cell batteries will have a resting voltage of approx 12.7V. Fully charged AGM batteries will have a resting voltage of approx 12.8V.

Are you able to plug in and let the batteries charge overnight?
Old 08-20-2020, 12:02 AM   #18
Gold Member

Unfortunately, I don’t have a 30 amp nor an adapter.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:28 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Driving & running the generator will put some charge into the batteries but neither will fully charge them. Solar can get them back to full if they're not too low to begin with and there's sufficient sunlight and enough time.

I suggest plugging in as soon as you can so that the batteries can get fully charged. After that you'll be able to see if they hold that state or decline quickly. If the voltage drops with nothing running and with solar then the batteries could be at end of life.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:57 AM   #20
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Driving & running the generator will put some charge into the batteries but neither will fully charge them. Solar can get them back to full if they're not too low to begin with and there's sufficient sunlight and enough time.

I suggest plugging in as soon as you can so that the batteries can get fully charged. After that you'll be able to see if they hold that state or decline quickly. If the voltage drops with nothing running and with solar then the batteries could be at end of life.
Well, that would suck. The rig is not that old. 2019 model. That’s not an expense I’m ready to swallow after just getting it.