Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2014, 07:21 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: What is your solar controller telling you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
Davydd-the 5000 watt inverter does have a 8 6 volt agm battery bank-although i agree offering 5000 watt usage is just asking to waste battery power.Bling is the thing .

Jim Hammill is now offering something called the 'warp core option package' on a CS. i thought he was kidding at first but now he seems's serious. 24 hours of air condioning. I think he's delerious.
I like the name, but does it come with a trailer to haul all the batteries around? Or is it just $50K worth of lithium?
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:35 PM   #22
Platinum Member

I guess I'll never understand the infatuation of wanting air conditioning off grid. I understand the short stopover during the day for pets which I am interested in but would still try to avoid if possible. But I think one would have to be an extreme masochist to want to sit in the wilderness all day running a noisy air conditioner in a small Class B. I'd give up RVing if it came to that.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:14 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
....... Jim Hammill is now offering something called the 'warp core option package' on a CS. i thought he was kidding at first but now he seems serious. 24 hours of air conditioning..................
'warp core option package' tell me more Gerry. Must be lithium..... I like the description
Marko go to Roadtrekking: The Group facebook page. he made that post today.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Thanks Gerry. Interesting marketing change, sell the idea first instead of the usual build it first. Smart move I think. It's better to gauge interest / demand in advance. https://www.facebook.com/groups/road...al_comments=75

Probably will have to wait until October to find out more If the project moves forward we could start a new topic about it (or start it now). We should keep this topic on solar controllers.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:34 PM   #25
Bronze Member

I can add a little to the E-trek conversation. Just to keep the E-trek conversation going.

In July of 2013 I was interested in what was in the E-trek so I found one and had a good long look, inside, under and in the engine compartment.

The "generator" was a Nations Alternator Model ISK-1490-24V-140A. I could not find that one the Nations Alternator web site. So it was probably a special.

At the time the salesman was still talking about the 45 min recharge time. I pointed out to him that this was not possible. He understood my comments and said that he would have someone from Roadtrek get back to me. I was SURPRISED when a couple of days later someone called from Roadtrek and indicated he was a Roadtrek engineer.

The engineer confirmed the alternator was a 24 volt, 140 amp, DC alternator. No big surprise, it is in the model number.

In the conversation he indicated that they used the very high power inverter so that an owner would not need to keep track of the electrical power load. Roadtrek has had problems educating customers about the power demands of things like microwaves, AC's, etc in a limited power environment like an RV. So they wanted to put in an inverter that would allow the owner to turn on everything at once. Therefore, no owner education required.

The inverter that was in the unit I looked at was an AIMS model PICGLF60W24V240VS. On the AIMS web site it is rated at 6000 watts.

I looked at this E-trak over a year ago and have not looked at one since. So I don't know what they are using now.
FredA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
I guess I'll never understand the infatuation of wanting air conditioning off grid. I understand the short stopover during the day for pets which I am interested in but would still try to avoid if possible. But I think one would have to be an extreme masochist to want to sit in the wilderness all day running a noisy air conditioner in a small Class B. I'd give up RVing if it came to that.
Some people are full timers needing AC in warmer (Atlanta, Dallas, etc) climates.
ChrisTinaBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTinaBruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Some people are full timers needing AC in warmer (Atlanta, Dallas, etc) climates.
Did I not say "extreme masochist"?

Is it only a northerner trait to follow the weather?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote