Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #1

Default Where are the Batteries?

I have a 2002 190 Roadtrek - where are the RV batteries located? How do you get at them? Thanks.
JOHN HUTCHINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Where are the Batteries?

The owner manual available for download gives a few possibilities for battery locations:

Quote:
The battery is located at the rear driver side below the floor on all models except the 170-Popular where it is on the passenger side. On Dodge models, it can be accessed from the rear cargo door by lifting the carpet liner and removing the hatch cover. On Chevrolet models, the auxiliary battery can be accessed from the underside of the vehicle.
The 2002 brochure shows this location:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roadtrek-2002-battery.jpg (66.9 KB, 827 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick response. There must be another manual I do not have. I crawled under the left rear tire and there is a metal box, which may be accessible by removing the carpeted base of the trunk compartment. I'll check it out.
I'm also looking for a drawing/sketch of the plumbing, which might help me avoid winterizing problems. We acquired this vehicle a few months back and just love it.
JOHN HUTCHINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Did you see the photo above John? That shows a slideout tray. The drivers side rear corner fiberglass panel comes off. If you have that model then you should see a wingnut headed bolt on the edge of the wheel well. Remove the wing-bolt. Then, under the fiberglass panel, you can grasp a bar (like a 4" u-bolt) and pull down then gently pull the panel away from the van

markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
Platinum Member

John, I have an '05/04 190P, you might have another battery just below and behind the side doors. If you do, there is probably a lock on it; it will hold a optional second battery. Your gonna love that B. Safe travels.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Hi John,
I've also got an '02 190P on the Chev chassis (I think there are probably at least 1 or 2 others
on here as well) and not to frighten you, but I've had my share of head scratchers over the last 2
years since we purchased it, so if you have any questions, fire away. If I've had the same issue,
I'll be glad to help. There are many good sources of info on here, digital and human, as well as a
great keyword search facility up in the top right corner of most pages.
btw, markopolo and Ron are correct about the battery locations and methods of access. You won't
be able to get at either house battery from inside your van, if yours is a Chevy Express 3500 base.
When you're ready to winterize (or just need a quick reference guide for something) here's a decent
website to check. (If you can't find the answer on here )
http://rvbasics.com/
Old 10-06-2010, 12:22 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Hi John,
How did you make out with the batteries and plumbing diagram?

If you have a copy of the owner's manual (you can download it for free
from the Roadtrek website), there's a section on how to winterize the plumbing
in your van. Have a look at it, and if you have any questions, maybe I can
answer them, as I may have already asked the same thing myself.

Basically, for me , the hardest part is deciding when you're sure you want to winterize.
Then, get started. It's mostly getting as many drain points open as possible before the
cold weather really sets in.
That includes all 3 large tanks, fresh, grey, and black. Dump, flush, and dump/drain
again until empty, and as dry as possible.
The water heater. Set inside bypass valves to "bypass" position (if they exist).
Pull the outside drain plug and anode. Rinse well. Let drain and dry as much as possible,
The external and internal shower valves and lines (flex hoses included). Drain and allow to dry.
And, adding RV specific (it's usually pink coloured) anti-freeze to the most likely freeze points,
like the toilet/black tanks, and the sink trap. Some add RV a/f to their entire fresh water system
including the water pump, but I don't. I just add a healthy amount to the grey and black water systems.
I usually leave the taps and valves inside the van open all winter to allow further drying and expansion,
but I try to close the outside taps and drain points. Keeps the rodents and other vermin out.