Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2015, 09:34 PM   #1

Default Which RS to choose - with Onan or Underhood generator?

I have been wandering to attempt to buy 59G, Zion and finally RT RS. I am sure this has been discussed many times here before, but I like to know your expert opinions. I am about to puchase a new RT RS and I am in between two 2015 units to choose from. One is based on more recent 2015 Sprinter, located in the southern area, only 138 miles on it, with Onan. The other is based on 2014 Sprinter in the midwest, 750 miles on it (driven from the factory in Canada), with underhood generator and 4 AGM batteries.
The Sprinter manual says the operator should drive the vehicle with care during 1000 mile break-in period. I believe that this RS might be driven with small car hitched back from Canada. Does it really affect the future performance of the engine? Both of the them are nicely discounted, but the sale price of 2015 sprinter model (with Onan) is only $2000 more than the other one's sale price. I also wondered that the free Lithium upgraded would force the RS (with Onan) to sacarifice other space underneath. Could I keep Onan, spare tire and new batteries underneath? I could not get the proper answer from the dealerships in time.
I appreciate any comments on this.
BBahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:51 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Depends on what your planned use is.

If you expect to stay parked up boondocked for many consecutive days at a time, or if you will frequently need long runs of airconditioning (say more than 3 hours regularly), then the rig with the Onan would be my advice.

Otherwise, the underhood genny with extra batteries gives you a whole lot more freedom.

I wouldn't sweat the mileage difference. Most of these units are driven to their dealer, though some, like mine are flatbedded. Likewise, 15 versus 14 for the Sprinter isn't worth much consideration.

There's no street experience with the "Lithium upgrade" yet -- your guess is as good as anyone's!
Old 08-01-2015, 10:00 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBahk View Post
I have been wandering to attempt to buy 59G, Zion and finally RT RS. I am sure this has been discussed many times here before, but I like to know your expert opinions. I am about to puchase a new RT RS and I am in between two 2015 units to choose from. One is based on more recent 2015 Sprinter, located in the southern area, only 138 miles on it, with Onan. The other is based on 2014 Sprinter in the midwest, 750 miles on it (driven from the factory in Canada), with underhood generator and 4 AGM batteries.
The Sprinter manual says the operator should drive the vehicle with care during 1000 mile break-in period. I believe that this RS might be driven with small car hitched back from Canada. Does it really affect the future performance of the engine? Both of the them are nicely discounted, but the sale price of 2015 sprinter model (with Onan) is only $2000 more than the other one's sale price. I also wondered that the free Lithium upgraded would force the RS (with Onan) to sacarifice other space underneath. Could I keep Onan, spare tire and new batteries underneath? I could not get the proper answer from the dealerships in time.
I appreciate any comments on this.
you are asking the wrong people about where the 'tandem ecotrek 200' would go. ask the dealer
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote