Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2022, 04:46 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Which Wire or Conduit is coming from Generator

2000 PW Excel TD - Once in a while I need to flash my generator, however this normally is a two-person job and I am a solo traveler. If I bring the black/green/white generator wires directly to a new outlet (ideally near the remote starter) I can flash it by myself. I've successfully done this using a 10' power strip, but I am looking for a tidier solution that does not require removing bed, etc. (I've by backfeeding a 12v source on a factory-installed outlet and it does not work).

I am thinking of tapping into the generator directly from under the bottom of wardrobe closet. Can anyone identify the generator wires here? Here is a photo of converter, transfer switch and breaker area. (Note on angle -- the plywood backing is the floor and the breaker panel is facing aisle)

The center connection is interesting, but strange since it appears all 3 wires are going to some sort of ground.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0479.jpg (274.3 KB, 28 views)
HWDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 04:29 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWDean View Post
2000 PW Excel TD - Once in a while I need to flash my generator, however this normally is a two-person job and I am a solo traveler. If I bring the black/green/white generator wires directly to a new outlet (ideally near the remote starter) I can flash it by myself. I've successfully done this using a 10' power strip, but I am looking for a tidier solution that does not require removing bed, etc. (I've by backfeeding a 12v source on a factory-installed outlet and it does not work).

I am thinking of tapping into the generator directly from under the bottom of wardrobe closet. Can anyone identify the generator wires here? Here is a photo of converter, transfer switch and breaker area. (Note on angle -- the plywood backing is the floor and the breaker panel is facing aisle)

The center connection is interesting, but strange since it appears all 3 wires are going to some sort of ground.

Thanks!

I am no expert on this but my two cents common sense says Green is ground White in Neutral and the BLACK CANT BE HOT or you would have a complete short and nothing would be working! Find out just what that black wire is and you might solve the issue.
JPMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 05:31 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Is the black box at the top of the picture the transfer switch?
Old 03-08-2022, 01:28 PM   #4
Gold Member

I found it. Its the conduit on the right going into black box. I found a wiring diagram (attached) and it turns out there is one under switch lid and I connected a surge protector to be used for the flashing end.

@Michael: Yes, the black box is the transfer switch

@JPMcG: Black from the generator is hot
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Excel Wiring.pdf (48.7 KB, 4 views)
HWDean is offline   Reply With Quote