Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2018, 12:01 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Winnebago Travato with Volta Lithium Battery System

Posted on Facebook by Lichstinn RV

Here we go Travato nation! Tomorrow we debut the Travato Pure3 59KL and 59GL with the Volta Power Systems... the most powerful, durable, and easy to use lithium energy system in the RV industry!

Weighing less than 200 lb, a 3 module automotive-grade energy pack provides 8,700 Whrs with a 3,600 watt pure sine inverter bringing 30 amps of power wherever you go!

The dedicated 58V alternator is 2X as powerful as its competitor. Its compact design keeps it secluded from curbs and road debris.

Winnebago's auto start and high idle control significantly extends AC run time.

An 8 year battery warranty is designed to last a lifetime! It's virtually maintenance free and includes a temperature controlled battery compartment.

Operation includes simple seamless operation and automatically starts when batteries need replenishment, recharging within 1 hour! It includes the highest efficient solar controller in its class, with 30% better energy absorption than competitors!

Stay tuned for our video relase of the all new Travato 59KL and 59GL! Travato Owners and Wannabees
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:13 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Here's the page from Volta describing the "kits"

Link

Looks like one could do this as a retrofit. No price yet.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:37 PM   #3
Bud
Platinum Member

Poor Man's ARV?

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Poor Man's ARV?

Bud
Well, I would say this Travato is more like a good competitor to the Roadtrek Zion’s that have lithium batteries.

I would think that Winnebago would also be looking at using the Volta in the ERA and the Revel...
Old 03-09-2018, 04:05 PM   #5
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Well, I would say this Travato is more like a good competitor to the Roadtrek Zion’s that have lithium batteries.

I would think that Winnebago would also be looking at using the Volta in the ERA and the Revel...
Maybe, but I'm guessing 'this solution' is more ARV like than etrek.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:50 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I would seriously consider trading my zion for this. My issue with travatos always been the onan generator.

the 59kl i will look at and possibly trade.

Volta would be superior to ecotrek in my opinion.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:19 PM   #7
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
I would seriously consider trading my zion for this. My issue with travatos always been the onan generator.

the 59kl i will look at and possibly trade.

Volta would be superior to ecotrek in my opinion.
I agree wholeheartedly. I have the same issues with the Travatos. I wonder if they eliminated the Onan, if they could somehow increase the fresh water tank capacity? 21 gallons is a little on the small side.
JakeyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:51 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Lichtsinn posted a short video about the new systems:

At around 0:38 or so there's a few seconds showing the drivers side with what looks like an Onan exhaust sticking out, so at first glance it seems they kept the generator. But one of the comments on the video asked about a generator, and the reply from Lichtsinn made it sound like there wasn't one. So I'm not sure what to make of that.

Or am I mistaken, and that's actually the engine exhaust?
Old 03-09-2018, 11:30 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Lichtsinn posted a short video about the new systems:

At around 0:38 or so there's a few seconds showing the drivers side with what looks like an Onan exhaust sticking out, so at first glance it seems they kept the generator. But one of the comments on the video asked about a generator, and the reply from Lichtsinn made it sound like there wasn't one. So I'm not sure what to make of that.
It might be the exhaust for the Truma Combi...
Old 03-09-2018, 11:44 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I went back through my collection of 59G videos, and in the walkthrough video posted by Wincrasher a few years ago he mentions that's the engine exhaust. It looks like the Onan exhaust would be on the driver's side behind the rear wheel next to the black tank drain connection. Its hard to tell in the video above, but I don't see it there.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:46 PM   #11
Platinum Member

That’s the engine exhaust.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:16 PM   #12
Platinum Member

The FitRV folks have posted their initial impressions of the Travato 59GL:

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-reviews/...thium-powered/

So far, they mostly seem to like it. Not surprising, since they own a 59G which they converted to Lithium batteries themselves. They plan on another post after they finish their week of using it.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:47 PM   #13
Platinum Member

it is easy to run the lithium-thats for sure
Old 03-12-2018, 08:06 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
it is easy to run the lithium-thats for sure
I think Roadtrek has some major catching up to do in order to keep up with the Volta system. A single On/Off button and a SOC meter is all you really need.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:21 PM   #15
Platinum Member

it also states that they have an autostart system that trigger on SOC, not voltage. So no kludge needed like on the Roadtrek to make it (sometimes) work.

In my view this is a game-changer for WGO. It speaks volumes that this system is also in ARV. If they can sell this as an easy to install system, then you'll see it pop up in all kinds of RV's as I'm sure the margins on it are terrific. I also like that there is simplified controls for it, but still a monitoring panel so you can see what is going on.

I can't wait to see this on the Era. I predict they'll go with a bigger battery pack as there will be more room for it - Travato looks like a tight fit. On the 59G they had to put the water tank underneath and use the ottoman to house the inverter, DC converter and fuses. Not sure yet on the K, but there is room under the beds for this hardware, so maybe no changes needed.

I'm severely tempted to order one. I'd prefer to wait for the new body styles on Sprinter and Promaster before I pull the trigger though.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:19 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
it also states that they have an autostart system that trigger on SOC, not voltage. So no kludge needed like on the Roadtrek to make it (sometimes) work.

In my view this is a game-changer for WGO. It speaks volumes that this system is also in ARV. If they can sell this as an easy to install system, then you'll see it pop up in all kinds of RV's as I'm sure the margins on it are terrific. I also like that there is simplified controls for it, but still a monitoring panel so you can see what is going on.

I can't wait to see this on the Era. I predict they'll go with a bigger battery pack as there will be more room for it - Travato looks like a tight fit. On the 59G they had to put the water tank underneath and use the ottoman to house the inverter, DC converter and fuses. Not sure yet on the K, but there is room under the beds for this hardware, so maybe no changes needed.

I'm severely tempted to order one. I'd prefer to wait for the new body styles on Sprinter and Promaster before I pull the trigger though.
Ron-why wait-you'll just order another one a year later
Old 03-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
This is really great because with lifepo4, trying to kick on autostart with voltage is a failing idea from the start. the flat discharge curve makes it almost impossible. Also with their 58V alternator, you can power the AC while charging (something that the roadtrek setup could never do).

Having one system that works together with all the parts makes it much easier work correctly vs many parts hobbled together to attempt to work. While I still have concerns regarding NMC, I think this is a much better attempt for those that want to run AC in a van. For someone that doesn't want to run climate controls (AC or electric heat), this is WAY overkill.
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulight View Post
I think this is a much better attempt for those that want to run AC in a van. For someone that doesn't want to run climate controls (AC or electric heat), this is WAY overkill.
I think this is basically the heart of the whole thing. We don't live in the unbearable heat areas of the south, so we don't have to deal with it for the most part while camping. We do have to deal with half a year of too cold for camping (at least for most of us ) weather here. The solution for northerners is go south for winter trips, so to us it would seem logical that southerners would go north for summer trips, but that apparently doesn't happen as often.

As nice as the Volta system is, it will not eliminate the need for running the van engine regularly, which may or may not be permitted where you are camped. More and more idling rules are coming into affect all the time, along with no generator rules.

Personally, I don't think systems like the Volta will be truly usable for daily air conditioning until the the recharging of the batteries can be done silently in the background with something like the propane powered fuel cell in one of the other discussions, as the engine running to recharge is not going to be universally viable in the future.

A big system like the Volta would be great for those of us that wouldn't use it for AC, as we could stay offgrid and not driving for a long time with it, and not have to go very far at the next drive to refill, but it is a lot of cost to do that when you can get probably 95% of the same with lead acid system and at a fraction of the cost.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulight View Post
This is really great because with lifepo4, trying to kick on autostart with voltage is a failing idea from the start. the flat discharge curve makes it almost impossible. Also with their 58V alternator, you can power the AC while charging (something that the roadtrek setup could never do).

Having one system that works together with all the parts makes it much easier work correctly vs many parts hobbled together to attempt to work. While I still have concerns regarding NMC, I think this is a much better attempt for those that want to run AC in a van. For someone that doesn't want to run climate controls (AC or electric heat), this is WAY overkill.
I will admit my ignorance, NMC?
Old 03-13-2018, 02:57 PM   #20
Platinum Member

I will say one thing-after having been posting here awhile I always know beforehand how most people will post in reaction to anything.

1. 'Old is good and more dependable'. Not worth the money.

2. Sounds 'great' but too expensive.

3. Running out and 'buying tomorrow'.

4. 'Want it and have the money' just can't justify it.

5. "Lead me to an order form'.

6. 'A detailed explanation of pro's and cons' and why you won't buy it.

7. 'Why can't Roadtrek do this?'

Pick your response

PS. Of course i forgot 'Just buy an ARV and you don't have to think about it". we all know who will say that-lol